Possible Nerve Damage

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm 10 weeks post op TKR, have had 24 physical therapy sessions, a 127 bend, leg extention is not good and still no quad response.  Therapist said they can't do any more for me to get response from quads. Had surgeon appt. today (he did not cut into any of my muscles during surgery) said he's only had one other patient with symtoms like mine and it could be nerve damage from the tourniquet, I go back in a few weeks and may have to have a nerve test done.  Keeping my fingers crossed my quads are just extremley slow in recovering. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anything you can do to stimulate or support the thigh muscles might help - massage, exercise, tens machine, acupuncture, alternating hot/cold compresses, arnica cream, plus good nutritious food and plenty of fluids. All the muscles and tendons take a big hit after a tkr whether they are directly cut or not. I gather the whole leg gets traumatised one way or another, very much including the nerves, which take a while to heal. Hope you recover soon and well!
    • Posted

I've tried everything you mentioned but I hadn't thought about acupuncture.  It's def worth a try, thanks!
    • Posted

Can't be bad so long as plenty if other goodies of fruit and veg! Bon appetite!
  • Posted

hi patty lee

think we have responded before, but my quads are in total shutdown after 2 years since my op!!!!  noone will accept responsibility but i canot do a straight leg raise at all.many different opinions concerning nerve damage etc...so frustrated...please let us know how you get on .xx

• Posted

Yes, I think we talked about the stimulation/tens machine. I can imagine how frustrating it is! 
  • Posted

Worth a try! Have some experience here as an acupuncturist of many years standing, but now fully retired. It can in some cases help a deal. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.