Possible Peri - Bleeding for 23 days

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I just turned 50 this year, in 1998 I had a fibroid removed the size of a basketball. Since then my periods have been terrific. On time every month, lasting 4-5 days

In April I started to get some clots, nothing major. Then in May I was good, on time. Then in June I was 12 days late, and July also 12 days late. August there was a small indicator of ovulation, usually it is for a few days, but this time there was hardly anything. Now in September I was 15 days late and this came around 25 days after ovulation, which is usually bang on 13.

At first this last period was light, then the clots started, then it stopped and then came back again. I am now with bleeding for 23 days. A light day pad is enough per day, but when the clots come, it bleeds a lot for an hour ( 1" diameter clots and red red blood ) These clots are amateur hour compared to the monsters I was getting in 1998, then it gets lighter and less blood, only to feel it is over and then it repeats again without fail. Feeling like there is no end in sight

My concern is, that this period is lasting so long. Sometimes it feels like it is ending and then BANG another clot and more bleeding. I am in the USA and have no insurance. So tests and all that are out at the moment. I am wondering if this could be perimenopause, considering my age. This month I have experienced some burning on my skin and breasts. Migraines, Dizziness and all the perimenopause stuff. So I am wondering if this bleeding is normal during perimenopause.

I am also thinking a fibroid has come back. Or that I did not really ovulate last month if this is hormonal.

If anyone else experienced this please chime in. How long will this last ? I just want full blown menopause to come. I never had a kid and wish I would have had the whole thing removed in 1998, I am so regretful now. I have zero pain, zero fatigue , nothing. If not for this bleeding I would be 100% myself. I started taking the iron supplements, as I remember in 1998 the Dr told me to take them, so just in case, I have started them.

So if anyone can share you experience , that would be great because no matter what you search for on the internet, it is immediately cancer. Hang Nail = Cancer, it is ridiculous

Thanks

G in NYC

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Two years ago, I spotted for over a month straight. I didn't know it at the time, but in hindsight, it must have been the start of perimenopause. Since that crazy period (normal prior), I have been getting my period every 21 days and it has been heavy with clots. I would definitely tell your obgyn, but I have experienced something similar. I made an appointment when it was hapoening to me, but by the time the appointment had rolled around, it had stopped and I cancelled. Hope you get some answers. xo

• Posted

Just reading all of these replies instantly reduced my anxiety! Thank you ladies: ) When I called my doctor's office they say "you must be seen" and and this type of bleeding is abnormal.You then follow the standard protocol; exam, blood tests, ultra-sound, biopsy and then I assume D&C. My mind has already jumped to a hysterectomy due to cancer....yikes.I appreciate my doctor's diligence but wish she would say that in 9-10 women this is due to peri-menopausal hormonal fluctuations rather than cancer.

I feel like my body is just trying to "start the engine" but it is just stalling and sputtering.Sounds like just low progesterone.

• Posted

I would not jump to any conclusions.. Many women have these tests-- in fact when I told my sister about ultrasound and D&C, she wasn't alarmed-- kinda like 'normal' women tests.. And when I did the first ultrasound Dr didn't say anything alarming just ovaries are good, fibroids look OK, BUT we need another test--- I said 'OK'-- and they scheduled it. So in my mind, it's just tests to make sure it's all good..

• Posted

I wish my engine would start already lol !!! Tonight is the worst yet, clots all day and heavier bleeding. Compared to 1998 this is easy, but it is still raising my anxiety level. In 1998 on the way home from work with a bus load of people in Manhattan, I hemorrhaged all over the place. I always wear black, oh but not that day, maybe the only day in my life I wore gray. How humiliating. A man was going to take the seat next to me and I told him, it is best that he didn't, he looked at me like I was nuts. Maybe he thought I was going to kill him.

Anyway, tonights blood is red red like a nose bleed. Which is making me more nervous than anything and I don't know why. I keep getting these hot sensations on my skin like when you put icy hot on for pain. But for some reason, that feeling is giving me chills instead of sweating. My sense of smell is also more in tuned than ever. This is baffling. And I have in inner shakes which could be my nerves. I am ordering the progesterone cream and give that a go before anything else. This just feels like there is no end to this. It is very nauseating.

• Posted

I know lots of women in our age group that have the same issue. It is very distressing especially when you have to leave the house.There are these special period panties that help. They have a protective layer that supplements a pad. I guess you can also use a Depends underneath too. You gotta do what you gotta do..LOL.

I just bought the cream tonight. It smells strong...can't even describe it. Tomorrow I am getting the biopsy.Feeling weak in the knees already...ugh!

• Posted

Hi Ladies

Ok so I have been to the Dr today and what is causing this is an Ovarian follicle cysts

It formed because my body is in perimenopause , follicle cysts form when the follicle doesn't break open to release the egg. This causes the follicle to continue growing into a cyst. follicle cysts often have no symptoms and go away in one to three months.

As I do not have insurance, he was kind enough to only charge me $150.00 USD ( 120 pounds UK ) for the whole thing, visit, scan, pap and blood tests.

So with that I am being put on Progesterone short term and he gave me super duper iron pills. I have to take the pills for 2 weeks, and he said the bleeding should calm down in about 3 days. My uterus was only 7mm thick, and the cyst was small 3mm, he said it is not even really a cyst, its a follicle

I have to go back in a month to have another scan to look at it and see if it shrunk down and without the bleeding if the lining also thinned. If not I need a D N C or that ablation procedure. If I need anything I think I prefer the ablation to just get rid of it once and for all.

I sure am glad I went to the Dr today, my nerves are calmer. And now I know whats causing this. He did the pap and all that , and OMG the clots that were flying out were horrible, I was so embarrassed , he laughed at me and said, he has seen more than this, not to worry. He is fantastic ! Been my Dr for 25 years.

So now we wait and pray that the pills help and this little bugger shrinks away.

He said these are the joys of perimenopause. Aren't they grand 😕

Hope all you ladies are feeling better today

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.