Possible post viral syndrome

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have recently posted a discussion on PR. I had this roughly 6 weeks ago. However, after the rash has cleared up, I am still left feeling very weak. I occasionally feel light headed, and have been getting pins and needles in my hands and feet 😕 I went back to the doctors today as all blood results were ok, and she said it could be post viral syndrome. I am really worried if this is a correct diagnosis as I know it can last a long time.

Does anyone have any advice or can possibly shred any light on exactly how long it can last and how to deal with it. The thought of having this weakness in my legs feels very daunting, as I feel completely washed out at times 😔 I have tried to adapt a more positive approach to every day to day life, home, work, children. Have started taking vitamins and been resting, but unfortunately it is not working. Please can anyone give me any hope 😞

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI David,

Ive been looking at some of your post over the last few months as it sounded like you had some similar issues! have you experinces nerve problems as a result of the CFS?With regard to detectig the virus from what I have read there arent that many viruses that should be able to cause PVS but im not so confident in the doctors anymore! I will try the vit C approach, I have been taking 1g a day for a while with no detectable changes but maybe ill up it to 4 or more. I was also very fit and healthy before this happened, was in the gym seven days a week so the non activity is killing me at the moment!so depressing!! hope your well, Jez

• Posted

Hey Jez, yeah, me too i would probably train 7 days week, swimming, running, cycling, weight training. It was never done unconsciously, of course i would factor in rst days and the best nutrition i could afford. To be going through this is the biggest challenge of my life, unless i beat it, i really don't have a life. The past few weeks i have had alot of encouraging signs. I'm doing lots. I'll send you my email and we can stay in touch, just in case one of us finds something really useful.

I guess in the beginning you could say i had nerve issues (mild) but i have had a private MRI (£360,ouch!) and it was normal. So definetely try the vitc, work upto bowel tolerance levels, which is what i did. I had more energy (not a cure, at the moment) within 2 days. I've continued on the vitc at around 5/6 g/day. I'm adding in lots of supps/herbs. I actually have a diploma and numerous other qualifications in health and fitness and nutrition. LOL Also one last thing, i have just found out you can get your GP to prescribe COQ10, on the UK NHS, it's called ubidecarenone (ask for 100mg caps). I've felt better again since taking 400mg of COQ10/day. But as i am not working because of this ridiculous illness every bit of financial help,..helps. Take care, remember people do recover from this !!

• Posted

Looks like you got chikungunya! Especially when you speak of the rash. If it's anything similar, it is not in the mind. You actually have mild arthritis now which can last for up to two years. Just keep at the vitamins and try to fuel your body well, exercise and rest. They say you lose muscle during this so doing exercise is important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.