Possible solution to IBS worked for me!

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello everyone i have been a sufferer of IBS for the past 3 years and it is agony for some people and a minor inconvenience for others but i have stumbled onto something which may help everyone effected with this problem, let me explain.

I was having terrible IBS pains and symptoms, so i thought i would try to find a solution to the problem. I have a friend in japan who gave me a very useful tip, in japan they have a routine which can help most digestive problems and i tried it and low and behold it worked. so here it is:

In the morning drink a pint glass of water but dont eat nothing for 45 minutes, you can clean your teeth but no food, once the 45 minutes is up you can have your breakfast and also after meals dont drink cold drinks as the cold fluid gets to the intestine before the food and creates a fatty fluid once the food reaches the intestine, drink a warm drink such as tea.

I know this may seem like a stupid idea to alot of you but trust me this works i started this 3 months ago and havent had any IBS symptoms since, i thought i would post this because of the pain i used to go through i hope this helps alot of you!

Thanks for reading!

StrangeyD

2 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

When my ibs is playing up even a sip of water creates excess gas (belching) feeling so ill like I'm dying. However I take digestive enzymes tablets that have betaine hcl in them and I'm fine. No special diet or 5 a day veg and fruit. I can also drink the water with no ill effects. I was in hospital recently, operation for appendix. I had a NG tube in and no food for a week. I produced gas all week and worse if I had a sip of water. Staff tried to convince me that the appendix problem caused my gas and would settle down. I found that when I got this horrible ill feeling before I was aware of gas building up I disconnected my NG tube and applied slight suction with a syringe. This immediately relieved the horrible ill feeling. The day I got the NG tube removed I could take my digestive enzymes and was ok immediately. Question for the experts out there. Why would water cause excess gas (belching would be continuous and could go on for hours and be quite violent). I had a real battle with the hospital staff to let me use the syringe on my NG tube. 
    • Posted

I think gallee it is down to intestine sensitivity especially during severe episodes. I had it happen to me on a few occassions. I often drink mainly decaff. tea, this is water of course and doesnt cause any issues. The wind is caused by high osmotic activity and fermentation potential of incompletely digested and unabsorbed carbohydrates present in the small intestines. The type of gas produced by the bacteria also seems to impact the motility of the intestines. Hydrogen-producing patients are more likely to suffer from diarrhea, while methane producers are more prone to constipation. Damage to the lining of the small intestines, causes I outlined previously, may cause the body to treat undigested foods as foreign bacteria, and water could trigger a digestive process to start, hence the wind or pain. The digestive process has to be quite fast. i.e. diabetics in hypoglycema get their blood sugars raised sufficiently within minutes of being given glucose.

But I dont think there is a generalisation for sufferers as everybody reacts differently to their internal chemical composition.

What most of us cannot comprehend is how IBS can be abatted for long periods then suddenly to become troublesome on the same diet. Unfortunately, doctors seem not to take anything seriously thats accompanying a negative test report. I have very little faith in the medical profession. You get your 15 minutes then out you go.

• Posted

Hi Gailee,

Oh no...you said 'no special diet of 5 a day veg and fruit'. Believe me, nutritionists recommend 6 - 10 fruits and veggies per day as a basic diet. It is not a special diet at all. Consider this:

Breakfast: berries and an apple...maybe as a smoothie in a blender with milk or better still, almond milk. I add protein powder.

Lunch: a sandwich with GREEN lettuce in it (not iceberg which has no nutritional value). Carrots and celery sticks, red pepper which is very digestible and cauliflower in a baggie. A ripe banana for dessert.

Dinner: a piece of meat the size of a deck of cards, broccoli, beets (from a jar) with a beautiful salad of GREEN lettuce with sliced radishes and cherry tomatoes. 

What you add to that is fine....but this is considered a normal, basic diet...not special. And I will bet that our great grandparents ate this 'normal' way because there was no frozen, processed, prepared foods, junk food, fizzy drinks, crisps and greasy take out back in the day. I think we have lost our way...and our digestion is paying the price.

• Posted

Robin I wasn't knocking eating good healthy food I was saying that whilst I take digestive enzymes with hcl I can eat almost anything. I do however avoid nightshade foods as I had a bad episode of pain in all my joints. I had been eating jacket potatoes (old spuds) and eating skin which is the worst part. After two weeks avoidance I was pain free. If I eat nightshade foods I get terrible joint pain that lasts for about three days. The trouble today is our food is so full of additives to increase shelf life it's become poisonous. I think my problem is down to age (70). I believe I'm low in stomach acid which triggers release of digestive enzymes. 
    • Posted

Good morning, Gailee,

That is very interesting. I am about your age, 65 actually, and I have a bit of arthritis. I should do an experiment on myself and eat a lot of veggies from the nighshade family and see if it acts up. I should ask a friend who has painful osteoarthritis throughout her body, to eliminate nightshade vegetables from her diet to see if it makes a difference.

One thing for sure that suddenly gives me pain in ONE joint...each and every time is the following. I get in my car in the spring and put on the air conditioner...and there is a definite smell of mold in the car. I keep driving but within about 10 minutes, ONE joint suddenly becomes very tender and aches...a lot!  It has happened to me on 4 occasions. I wouldn't be surprised if mold aggravates or causes arthritis. In my case, it sure happened. After a day or so, the symptoms simmered down. Very odd... Come to think of it, my arthritis friend lived for years in an old house with a damp basement... That is probably the case for 90% of Britain. 

My naturopath (who is also a licences pharmacist) himself takes something...whose name I can't recall at the moment, something that increases the production of enzymes because he says that as we age, our production of them decreases. 

Yda I went to see  him (he's 67) and he told me that he takes DHEA to keep young. It slows down the aging process...apparently. He told me that i would notice the difference in my energy level right away. I took my first 'dose' yda and we shall see... I read about the side effects which I ALWAYS do for anything I put in my body and there are positives and negatives. I will take it and see how I feel. 

I have to admit, I take about 12 supplements per day. Omega is a must...but it's hard to digest so I take it as Barlean's fish oil. It is absolutely delicious!...and expensive. 

None of us wants to age but since we have to, it would be good to age gracefully and in good health. My aim is to never have to take any medication. Most medical conditions can be managed with lifestyle changes and that's the route I take. 

Thanks for the nightshade idea. i will definitely follow up on it.

Robin (female)

Montreal, Canada

• Posted

Hi,

may I ask if you eat so much veg and fruit why so many supplements which should all come from your food except fish oils 

, But the amount of veg fruit you need depend on your age sex and amount of activity you do.And you need a certain amount of carbs.

• Posted

But that's the point; 6 - 10 servings is not 'so much'. It's what is considered to be 'normal' by any standard. It is what is deemed necessary for good health and digestion for ALL people, not just those who exercise, or whether one is male or female, old or young etc.. It's a recommendation for everyone. If you are old and infirm and in a wheelchair, of course, you will eat less and your servings will be smaller...but the dinner plate should still glow with colour.

The reason for supplements is that unfortunately with so much of our 'fresh' food coming from far away places and picked under-ripe, the nutritional value is depleted. I read that a tomato from the 1950s had more than double the nutritional value of a tomato today. They are bred differently today; not for flavour or nutritional value but for toughness so that they make it to market intact. Profit is the bottom line. In winter, it's worse because most of our produce comes from the south.

The fruits and vegetables right off the farm in summer, of course are much more nutritious.

There are carbs in fruits and vegetables and certainly one can eat some bread, pasta, rice and potatoes...but we should be eating far less than we do because it takes the place of vegetables. 

Nowadays we have to contend with chemically sprayed foods and those that are genetically modified (GMO food such as all corn based products) and hormones are injected into the beef (7 different hormones) that feed cancers if you already have it. There are antibiotics in the chicken. There is no end to how big business is interfering in food production...for nothing other than profit. We drink water fill of drugs from people's pee (the water filtration plants can't remove it) and we breathe polluted air and absorb chemicals in lotions and makeup.

I try not to think about these toxins bombarding us on a daily basis or I'd lose my mind...so I just do what I can do and that is to take supplements to boost my immune system. I can't always buy organic or avoid all these contaminated foods. We live in a climate where the sun doesn't  shine on a daily basis all year round, on our skin (so we need vitamin D supplements which experts tell us protect us from cancers, MS etc..). Scotland is the country in the world with the highest rate of MS...and it is probably the country with the least sun. The Inuit eat whale and seal meat so they get their omega 3 and vitamin D....but there isn't much of that in haggis! 

LIke probably half the population over 50, I am slightly vitamin B12 deficient so I take that under my tongue.I'm no saint. I am not a big fish eater so I take my omega fish oil in my morning smoothie. I have a weakness for bread type foods and it takes a lot of will power to resist eating them. And that's another reason to fortify my health. 

So, there we have it. Lifestyle recipe: walk every day, drink plenty of water...and a glass of red wine every day. Eat well, digest well, and live a long and healthy life!

• Posted

Yes there we have it cannot drink that amount of water it bloats some and the suggestion of Red Wine every day is not for all .

• Posted

I certainly cannot drink red wine...not every day; not ever. It gives me a dreadful headache. I wish I could drink just a little glass every day because it keeps the arteries open and the blood thin and has been proven to prevent strokes and heart attacks. The French know what they are doing and they just don't have the strokes and heart attacks that we do in the milk drinking world. 
  • Posted

I agree with Robin somewhat. Cows are a commodity, no more no less. The meat for eating and the milk for drinking. The farming lobby intent on promoting milk to further monetise the farming industry is full on promotion of the calcium benefits. Whilst this may be beneficial supply of nutrients during say WW2, when food was rationed, there are dozens of foods far in excess of the calcium provided by cows milk or any  animal milk. Its nonsense to suggest otherwise but its a best kept secret to keep the dairy industry going. 250m/l milk is around 300mg calcium, a small 200g tin of salmon 500mg! (and exceeds milk in most every other nutrient too.)

That said, for those that tolerate milk there are an array of nutrients that the body requires but not necessarily dependant on milk as the source. Its only the Asian parts of the world where lactose intolerance is accepted because of a gene fault in digesting lactose. So if you cant tolerate milk possibly your gene pool originates from those areas. There were few indiginous peoples of the north and south americas before 1500. Since then its been all migratory. Most Europeans shouldnt have an issue with lactose but gut infections, viral or bacterial can create lactose intolerance in a few cases. This relates to undigested carbohydrates (sugars) in the gut.

• Posted

From what I have read, lactose intolerance is common even in non Asians...like myself (Irish & French). So many people I know have developed an intolerance to dairy, often just because over time they have drunk less and less milk or have eaten fewer dairy products. The body loses its ability to digest milk. I'm glad that there is a delicious alternative; almond milk which I take every day in my tea or coffee and smoothie. Great source of calcium, equal to milk but very digestible. I used to drink soymilk but because it's genetically modified, I steer clear of it. 
  • Posted

Almond milk is far to watery for me. I prefer Hemp because its all Omega 3,6,9 and somewhat vanilla taste. All milks seem to be vitamin supplemented. There are few foods in entirety with full nutrition. Dandelions come close though believe it or not. Yes those weeds in your garden....nom nom nom.
  • Posted

Hello all sorry I havent replied in a while I have been a tad busy, from what I have read in the comments there is alot of science being thrown around which is fair enough i completely understand that.

To answer a few of the questions no I dont know why this works only that it has for me, I can see alot of you have trouble drinking water so maybe this isnt for you all I know is thatmi used to have alot of pain and cramps from Ibs and now since I been doing this I have none.

All I can say is I dont know the science behind this and im not claiming it to be a master cure all I wanted to do was post this in the hope it could at least help another person so ill leave you guys now and all I gotta say is "What have you got to lose?, if it works for you great, if not im sorry! But at least you gave it a try.

• Posted

i don't drink enough water; it tastes awful; the only water that tastes good is water from the garden hose; but i have heard it is good to drink water first thing in the morning and have lemon squeezed in it; i am afraid of eating alot of fruit and vegetables because of the amount of pesticides and wax in and on them and i also have autoimmune inflammation  problems so many of the colorful vegetables (nightshade)seem to cause problems; i get tired of thinking and worrying if a certain food is going give me cancer, IBS or stomach and intestinal problems; and i have fibromyalgia so i sleep alot so in reality i don't have time to try to get 6-10 servings of fruit/vegetables in me; plus the cost of fruit and veg are expensive in the u.s. and then if  i eat for my blood type there are even less fruit /veg to choose from so i have to depend on organic green food powder in water and i have to add 7-up (yes i know it has awful things in it) to my water so i will drink it and vitamin supplements and enzymes and probiotics and hope i don't live over the age of 60; there are so many theories out there and i  don't seem to have the energy to figure it all out..i have noticed if i just don't eat too much of anything i do okay

and Strangey

your advice isn't stupid at all; there are many cultures that do just that!

• Posted

im a little late to the show here, but wanted to point out that I to have nearly cured myself of all IBS symptoms, mental fog and other physical ailments from nutrition by drinking warm/hot water. The only other "out of the norm" thing that I incorporated was intermittent fasting. I dont eat before 12noon or after 7pm my time, giving my body at least 16 hours of fasting to digest food. The first thing I do when I get up is warm up a glass of water and drink it. The only thing I still cannot stomach, which gives me different problems depending on the day, is caffeine. I don't drink coffee or eat chocolate, because it upsets my stomach and makes me body and head feel weird still. The warm/hot water subsides the effects but they are still there if i drink/eat caffeine. Without caffeine/chocolate/coffee, etc , I have straight up no other issues with health what so ever. And this is every years of growing problems. I tried so many diets, went vegan to zero carb (eating strickly meat). Nothing could cure all the ailments and symptoms I had. Then one day I just drank warm/hot water and literally every negative thing stopped. It really is crazy and I try to understand why this happened to me, but it did and I can enjoy my life and food again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.