possible tapeworm ?

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi I passed a approx 6 inch flat tape like thing , it seems very smooth yellowish almost transparent, I see no segments, is this a tape worm ? I have a pic of part of it but I'm not sure how to upload ? I'd appreciate any information thank you

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

To upload a photo you would go to your far right handside corner next to the smiley face. I am testing a photo I just took because I've only been on this site for 30 minutes lol so if this works then that's how you upload a photo 
    • Posted

I've uploaded a pic on my profile pic bit rolleyes could find how else to do it sad .that's awful 8months is a rediculous time scale it must be so worrying for you .
    • Posted

Oh and yes I have a dog he's not showing any symptoms but im gonna worm him again just incase .
    • Posted

yeah it is really awful but you jut learn to accept it and live life accordingly. Okay that doesn't look like a tapeworm at all. That looks like a threadworm!
    • Posted

Yeah I mean my dogs have it as well! And that's how I got it from fleas carrying the tapeworm larvae. So it's always good to deworm your dogs and to use revolution once a month. Well once you deworm your dog then you should be looking in his/her stool about 7-10ndsys after because that's when the eggs would have hatched. 
    • Posted

Has the picture upload worked at all ? What do you think ? Do all tape worms have segments? Or are some smooth ? I'm so freaking out with this sad , thank you very much for the information ill defo be looking out for any eggs or segments passed .
    • Posted

That doesn't look like a tapeworm at all. They would be much bigger segments. That if anything looks like a threadworm. Which you can cure with I think one pill. You're fine! That's nothing like the worms I was passing. They were huge! 
    • Posted

Oh my goodness I'm really sorry to hear that your having such a bad time , I feel a little silly now for freaking out so much about this , you seem to be coping really well , how long will it take till your tapeworms gone ? Is a coarse of tablets ? Do they come out whole after the medicine kills them ?
    • Posted

oh no please do not ever undermine your own pain because pain is relative to the person and I would never say that mine has a higher magnitude than someone else. Yes there is albendazole ( which is on the list of the most important medications that are vital for your life) praziquantel and I believe that's it those are the two that are primarily used. I am taking 800mgs a day of albendazole. About to be done in th next day, but albendazole only kills the adults so I have to be careful with the eggs... And I have to not eat sweets, carbs andonoy eat lean proteins and garlic cloves, pineapples, stuff like that. But I have been slacking,  it truly sucks though because I freaked out the past week because the little ones turned into adults and I was passing them all throughout the Fourth of July weekend. There are days I don't want to get out of bed because my joints and muscles are so sore. But I have pooped out a whole one when I use enema and am not taking the medication. 
    • Posted

What they look like without medication 
    • Posted

I really hope you get well soon and thank you so much for your help , please keep in touch and let me know how you get on with your treatment .I think I'll keep an eye on things for the moment and see if I can get a sample to talk to the doctors with me , thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience with me I'm not so panicked now smile
    • Posted

thank you!!!! Yes please keep in contact and let me know. You should be a okay biggrin)
    • Edited

There are different sorts of tape worm for example beef and pork ones which are caught by eating infected meat that has not been cooked enough to kill the eggs. I believe there are around six types. They should be pretty easy to kill with some tablets. You may need for your doctor to do a blood test. If it is a tapeworm it is like the lace from a gym shoe in width. A creamy white colour. Segments may come out singly or joined together. 
    • Posted

I have uploaded a picture but not sure how much detail you can see at your end but when I've looked really closely there doesn't seem to be any segments at all but it is completely flat and tape like ? I've been trying to find out if there is any type of tapeworm that looks smooth without the ridges of segments ?
    • Posted

Yepppp Ptolemy. There are four really prominent tapeworms that you can get from animals or bad hygiene--allowing feces to get into your digestive tract. You can get the pork tapeworm, the beef tapeworm(which is most common in dogs), the fish tapeworm, and the dwarf tapeworm. T solium, the pork tapeworm, has four suckers and two rows of hooks. Which you can get by eating undercooked pork or if you own a pig (as I used to !!) and you secrete or they secrete the larvae in their feces and they by mistake ingest that than it becomes apart of their tissue and everything that they touch or release bodily fluids onto they will infect. This is the cause of cysticerosis-- which is horrible and causes cysts in the brain, when the worms reach the brain, the eyes, or the face it is somewhat of a concern. This can cause cranial pressure and damage to your nervous system, also you can lose your eyesight. It is easily treatable, with albendazole, which should kill the adults off after the second treatment. The beef tapeworm differs from the pork tapeworm because it doesn't have any hooks yet still has four suckers. It is larger and has more proglottids(which are the segments of the tapeworms body) and it doesn't cause cysticerosis, so the symptoms are not as bad!! Those are the two main tapeworms. I don't know which one I have, because I used to have a pig that passed away and the symptoms started around the same time.

I went to the ER down here in Naples, Florida and I am from NYC, so I expected to go to the ER and for them to be accepting. But instead the doctor who finally diagnosed me with tapeworm said that I was hallucinating about feeling them in my head and that I would have to have eaten my pig to have gotten them. Well he's an idiot because all I would have to do is just have some of her feces which could easily be transported through animals. I mean anyone with an animal knows that it is quite possible that you have gotten your dogs poop on you somehow someway. I don't really care about the ones in my stomache it's the ones under my skin that bother me the most!!!! And I have seen them in my eye before and my nose. I feel like they think I'm crazy but after 8 months of saying I had tapeworm and everyone thinking I was crazy they shut their mouths and are trying to cover it up!!

• Posted

Do you mean the profile picture you uploaded? If a tapeworm is 6 inches long they would be a lot thicker than a string like worm, which I believe you have I cant really see from your post. They would be like our friend said the size of a shoe lace...
    • Posted

The pork one can be very nasty as you say, but I believe the beef is not so bad. I met a doctor who said that some people wanted to have the whole worm coming out in one go, so I think he gave a bumper amount of tablets. The patient then used to put them in a bottle to show their friends! I don't know if they had them on display on a shelf somewhere in their house. 
    • Posted

I read somewhere that a tapeworm can grow up to fifty feet in length. 
    • Posted

Hey morganlinds, did you ever have any success with albendazole? I've been diagnosed with tapeworm and have done several rounds of prazi/albenza. Very sad to see that I am still passing the sesame seed-like segments. Do these meds even work at all??
    • Posted

I know this is an old post now but I have a huge tapeworm cyst at the top of my thigh at the rear. I have used so many things to beat internal ones and read a report explaining how pineapple literally melts them, and after great success eating it (has to be fresh as the correct enzymes or whatever are not in tinned or juice) and the last day I cut a slice and put it directly on the cyst with a dressing over. It's completely destroying it and turning the whole thing to mush. It's uncomfortable but it was anyway. Will let you know how it is in a few days but I'm so relieved!

• Posted

Did you finally get a definite diagnosis and if so are you suing? I have been living this nightmare for 4 years now. I have many cysts in my body and now a brain anuerysm due to the inflamation. I am at my wits end and know for a fact I am dying. I still can't find a doctor to save my life and when I do go they refuse to look at the pictures or the sample I bring in. any help would be appreciated.

• Posted

hi there so basically the other day i had these 3 small white thin tiny 1 inch things come out with a small stool could it be pinworms? i have drank water from my tap in the past when i called the guy around too check my water he said it had some dirt in it at the time and this was after i do get dizzy spells when i walk etc i do also take medication too though like risperidone etc
    • Posted

hi, my name is Katie and I am completely new to this although I've been dealing with this for 4 months. Each doctor slash hospital is trying to help but don't seem to help. My last stool study came back negative and I need to know if these are eggs that I found today. My symptoms are almost identical to yours with the body and nose and eyes involved. I could really use some insight period I've been researching for months and a lot of similarities between them and life cycles/stages.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.