Possibly Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 7 users are following.

Bit of a long story but here goes. About a year ago , I noticed I was a bit dizzy and was having heart palpitations - I went to the doctors and they thought I had low blood pressure and nothing to worry about. Over the coming months my palpitations turned into full blown panic attacks which i had never ever had in my life  - completely out of the blue. I was put on antidepressants but after 7 weeks of Citalopram my panic attacks were actually worse - they tried to put me on higher dosage and different drug but I refused as I felt the antidepressants were actually making things worse. I gradually weened myself off over the course of a few months and in September stopped taking them all together. Still with the palpitations and slight anxiety but not to the extent that it was affecting me, so over the last 6 months these feelings have steadily increased , except now I am experiencing them more at nighttime , I am waking up several times a night with a racing heart and fear. I have always been someone that runs around doing lots o things and I don't feel like i can sit still for long. This last two weeks has been dreadful with some nights of not sleeping at all as I am wide awake after trying to get to sleep. I have sat in front of the tv in the evenings and I don't feel sleepy and all of a sudden I wake up with a sudden rush of fear. Last night I was drenched in sweat. I have also been experiencing muscle aches, I am a runner so my legs are accustomed to exercise, but now I only have to do a bit of walking , carrying a few boxes and my muscles ache which is very odd. Also my skin is very dry , hair is lifeless , I have lost a bit of weight without trying considering I havent been running as much , I seem to have more bowel movements than I used to - sometimes going twice a day, I seem not to tolerate the cold very well either... I am at work now and I feel like I could literally just go to sleep - I feel wired but exhausted ??? Like I do in the evenings sometimes , I could fall sleeps without even realising?  GP thinks blood tests are needed so I am going to get those done but just wanted to reach out to people who might have experienced similar and been diagnosed later down the line with hyperthyroidism. 

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi hi I would still ask for thyroid antibodies done as I had suffered for a good while but looking back no one had picked up on raised antibodies I now have Graves’ disease in and out of remission encronolegist explained that it’s the antibodies that attack your thyroid so every blood test I have done they are included good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.