Possibly Hyperthyroidism

Posted , 7 users are following.

Bit of a long story but here goes. About a year ago , I noticed I was a bit dizzy and was having heart palpitations - I went to the doctors and they thought I had low blood pressure and nothing to worry about. Over the coming months my palpitations turned into full blown panic attacks which i had never ever had in my life  - completely out of the blue. I was put on antidepressants but after 7 weeks of Citalopram my panic attacks were actually worse - they tried to put me on higher dosage and different drug but I refused as I felt the antidepressants were actually making things worse. I gradually weened myself off over the course of a few months and in September stopped taking them all together. Still with the palpitations and slight anxiety but not to the extent that it was affecting me, so over the last 6 months these feelings have steadily increased , except now I am experiencing them more at nighttime , I am waking up several times a night with a racing heart and fear. I have always been someone that runs around doing lots o things and I don't feel like i can sit still for long. This last two weeks has been dreadful with some nights of not sleeping at all as I am wide awake after trying to get to sleep. I have sat in front of the tv in the evenings and I don't feel sleepy and all of a sudden I wake up with a sudden rush of fear. Last night I was drenched in sweat. I have also been experiencing muscle aches, I am a runner so my legs are accustomed to exercise, but now I only have to do a bit of walking , carrying a few boxes and my muscles ache which is very odd. Also my skin is very dry , hair is lifeless , I have lost a bit of weight without trying considering I havent been running as much , I seem to have more bowel movements than I used to - sometimes going twice a day, I seem not to tolerate the cold very well either... I am at work now and I feel like I could literally just go to sleep - I feel wired but exhausted ??? Like I do in the evenings sometimes , I could fall sleeps without even realising?  GP thinks blood tests are needed so I am going to get those done but just wanted to reach out to people who might have experienced similar and been diagnosed later down the line with hyperthyroidism. 

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It’s NOT  just you being crazy .. you’re ill ....you’re not imagining it ... though Some Doctors woukd like ya to believe it’s all in the mind !

You’ll be well again soon ... just stay with us !

Mx🌹

• Posted

Thank you so much. I think its gone on so long now / off and on that I doubt myself. 

Did you have any problems with symptoms being worse right before your periods ? I noticed that yesterday was a better day and previously have noticed that attacks seem to happen and calm down a little once the period starts. I am also having strange head sensations - staring - I can't describe it. Also started to put more small things together now, like I keep having my eyes watering - they stream when I go outside some days / my cheek and ear flush regularly and in probably the last 12 months I have developed ringing in ears which I put down to working in an office next to a noisy factory - can't seem be but I have been here 17 years. 

• Posted

Didn’t have period troubles till one year before my Graves diagnosis .. and MY period NEVER STOPPED !!

Literally every day I was bleeding and very heavily too .. I was really in a bad way on the verge of thyroid storm when I finally was told I had it !

I could have hit my doctor I was sooo mad At him ..

But I just smiled  !   I thot that was More insulting to him

The symptoms I had were many !

The worst were

Sweating every hour of every day ...shaking and tremors..hair loss 

And the dreadful anxiety that some doctors say is why we need antidepressants !

RUBBISH .. what we need are good blood tests and a clear diagnosis because as soon as we get the Carbimazole or the like 

We begin  to normalise again .. and become the people we used to be ..

I like myself a whole lot more

Now than then,  as I am not angry and upset all the time ..  you WILL become well again

And stay that way  .. if you take your health into your own hands after your meds and  replace all that has been lost with Graves 

Good luck Luvvie 

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Wow a thyroid storm , that must have been scary. I have periods , then a week later I have another one ... although not sure how much of that is to do with the pill. Missed a period as well but was greated with a week long and then another one a week later when blood actually gushed out of me... and this period is earlier than usual. Shall ask for antibodies to be checked as well once this round of bloods is back. Xx
  • Posted

Should have some results tomorrow from the blood test. After doing a bit of research though I am definitely going to ask for an antibodies test to be done as well. When I was pregnant I tested positive for Antiphospholipid syndrome - autoimmune , I had previously had 5 miscarriages - I was treated whilst pregnant but after doing research it seems there is a common link between thyroid autoimmune disorders and this. Hope the gp doesn't look at me like I am.completely obsessed ! 😄😄😄

• Posted

I’m so sorry for  your past miscarriages  Ros  and feel even worse that they could be associated with your Thyroid .. but it seems that unfortunately is the case for many !

Don’t yiu worry about what go thinks it’s YOUR  thyroid and YOUR  body

Empower yourself to become well again 

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Thank you , you guys are being great support at the moment - I really appreciate it

I called the GP earlier and spoke with the receptionist. The GP has ordered more bloods in 4 weeks time as something has obviously come up on the test but I am guessing they need to retest to be sure ?? Or maybe its borderline ? Shouldn't couldn't tell me what it was - I am guessing I will be able to tell when I get the slip from the GP's later for the retest. Bloody long wait though .. I will be gone stark raving mad before then ;-) xx

• Posted

Its a retest for Full Blood Count but doesn't say anymore than that smile everything else on the original test were ok

Maybe autoimmune showing in blood count ?

• Posted

Ros, I may miss something, but in this long discussion thread, I didn't see you have ever taken any ATM... And now you'll have a blood count test? I thought the test is to check if you would suffer some side effects of ATM? I am scratching my head here.

• Posted

No, I havent taken any anti thyroid medicine as still in diagnosis stage. I have had full blood count , tsh, T4 free T4 i think and the other usual routine blood tests. The blood count has come back as abnormal... and they want to repeat that in 4 weeks .... that is where I am with it.

Probably had 2 maybe 3 hours sleep last night as continually dropping off and waking in grip of terror .... cannot wait 4 weeks sad

• Posted

Just a little update

After a very poor nights sleep , I went back to the gp. Established that white blood cells are abnormal which is why they want to retest my full blood count not thyroid in 4 weeks. Thyroid was within range. I have questioned if the white blood cells could be the result of antibodies but was told that my thyroid levels are fine so no? I have read that this could be a load of rubbish as it might not have progressed that far.

Anyway. To help with sleeping and the anxiety side of things I have been given propranolol ... I have been told it will take away physical anxiety symptoms I have been experiencing ..... so far its just made me feel sick and very faint but it has stopped the racing pounding heart. Been referred for therapy and thinking beta blockers might not be for me blerggghh !

Going to look at a private blood test for the antibodies ... anyone in UK suggest best place to go for this please ? At least I can be 100% sure if it is or isnt !! smile

• Posted

Ros .. please don’t thunk I’m being rude .. I’m not !

But I just can’t figure yiur sigyation out ..  and I cannot imagine why your dr / receptionist is / are keeping things from you ...  this is your body ... your thyroid ... uiuevtests and your results ..  what’s the problem !

Make an appt to see your GP  .. go there and tell him in no uncertain terms you want to know EXACTLY what’s wrong with you 

If you think you have Graves’ disease or Hashis or whatever else YHEN  tell him you want to be tested  for Same 

Why would you not ?

I went armed with all the knowledge I could find to demand I got tests done .. after years of being  fobbed  off .. and thank God I did  ... as I’ve now gotten on top  of my Graves  and feel very good indeed again .

And YOU  can too .. be brave !

Go ... take him to task .. that’s what  he’s there for .. and he gets paid for  it too .. whilst you continue to suffer .

Mx🌹

• Posted

No not being rude.... I need to be firmer as they think its just anxiety. Ok , I will be brave and ask for the test to be done... I did say what I thought and was just fobbed off with the comment about my thyroid levels being absolutely fine .... these betablockers have calmed the heart pounding but for 2 hours after taking them I feel faint and very odd.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.