Post bilateral knee surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Please see my recent post. I would love any feedback. Eizie

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Just wanted to say hang in there. Personally for me this is the hardest thing I have done yet and that is only one TKR! Take it one hour at a time if you need to. I still feel kinda in shock at how much pain and how difficult this recovery has been. Hang in there and get good pain management. The constant pain wears one out. Take care !
  • Posted

oh gosh Eize ,how brave, i havent even had surgury as yet... good luck to you recovering .
  • Posted

Hi!  Where is your recent post?  
    • Posted

I posted late last night. I think if you search Eizie it will come up.
  • Posted

Hi Eizie,

About a year ago I had THR and just a week later TKR. It was brutal, nothing could have prepared me for the amount of pain after the surgeries. I cried everyday for months. I was so sure I was never gonna be the same and thought it would be a miracle if I one day had no pain. I was on oxy for 3 months and that was also one of the hardest parts. It made me more depressed and was difficult for me to get off of the drug. If you have any questions regarding your surgery or recovery I will try my best to answer them! Hang in there, the pain will go away!

• Posted

So you're doing well now? Hope so! Wow knee surgery and hip surgery!! I can imagine how you felt. So, so hard. Thank God it's in your past now.

• Posted

Hi Eizie i had my tkr january 14 2017 i too feel like i will never be able to walk properly again i can still only get 74 degrees bend which my physio says isnt good enough so she forced it at the last session and brought me to tears. I sobbed all the way home. The night times are the worst for pain the trammadol doesnt seem to help. But i am told it will get better. I take comfort from the comments on this site but sometimes feel so down. I hope in months to come i will get to the point where i can walk around the super market again without being wiped out afterwards. Its so hard after being quite active and independent to have to rely on others. Thank you all for your stories and reassurances.
    • Posted

Jean do I ever know what you're going through. We are suffering together. Your about a week more post surgery than me. When I was initially evaluated at PT on 1/30 I was about 75. When she told me I have to get to 120, I thought no way!!!! And now at PT 2x a week she bends my knees and I have, admittedly, yelped and cried every time. I had 3 natural childbirths but this is far worse!! At least I'm now at 106 but I have a lot more "bending" to go. We can do it. I just know it!!!

• Posted

Hi Eizie,

Oh dear you really are going through it! You are one brave lady for opting to have bilateral. One knee at a time is bad enough for me!

I can't really help much as I have only had the left knee done, & I know how bad that was in the early weeks. I'm at 4 months now & not real pain in left knee, just the right knee!

I am able to get off the sofa easier & can walk up & down stairs (one step at a time using only the left leg) as the right is too painful.

My bend at my final Physio appt was measured at 98degrees, but I was told that would improve with exercise & time. My physiotherapist never forced too hard or made me do anything that caused bad pain. I never left crying or feeling my leg had been assaulted!! I walk without a limp on my left leg which is now doing all the work!

Make sure your pain relief is adequate, don't ever go without or try to eke it out. If it isn't enough, go back to your GP & ask for something else. There are a lot of pain treatments out there & one will suit you better.

I hope you will start to feel better soon.

I would like to say that everyone who has had bilateral TKR are heroes/heroines I wasnt brave enough (& my surgeon didn't recommend bilateral)

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thank you. I love that we can all talk and compare our "war" stories.

• Posted

Yeah, it's great isn't it!

Just remember you're one of the heroes!!

XX

• Posted

Awww. I feel like one of them "walking wounded" though.

• Posted

Your bend is so much better than mine !!! I am going to see the consultant on Saturday and worry he will think the bend isn;t enough and recommend the manipulation which I don;t really want. I will keep up with the physio this week and live in hope it improves, but right now I can't see it happening. I will post after Saturday the outcome. I agree I said child birth was definately not as bad and at least after it was over quickly which this is not. We can do it !!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.