Post bunion surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hiya, it's a week today since my op and the pain is still so bad. I am taking ibuprofen and paracetamol only as I found the codeine was making me constipated. My foot is fine when I'm in bed and it's elevated, the problem starts when I bet up to go to the toilet/bathroom. Instant sharp pain and it doesn't stop until my foot is elevated again then the pain eases. What can I do about this?? I have the wedge boot and crutches, but barely use it because of the pain. My consultation is 9th dec, I am dreading the trip to the hospital! Is this pain normal? Don't know whether I should try and take the pain when my foot isn't elevated and force myself to walk around, being in bed constantly is really getting to me!

Any comments would be useful please, I speak to my family and friends, but they don't really understand. I even think they think I'm faking the pain!

Thanks xx

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh no, that is definitely real pain, poor you! Those who know, know that it is renowned for being painful surgery (post-surgery, to be precise).  I had a heel-walking shoe, not a boot, so don't know if this would make any difference to how you walk or whether you feel more or less pain. A week is still very early days. Can't remember having sharp pain whenever I walked but other people might have had this experience. Would you be able to phone the consultant's secretary to see what she/he suggests?
    • Posted

I have done and they said if the pain is unbearable that I should go to a&e :-/ waiting for hours in a&e.... I couldn't think of anything worse right now. Yeah I have the wedge heel shoe too, don't know why I called it a boot. Everything feels heavy though! The shoe, even the duvet over my foot. My mom keeps telling me to walk around otherwise I'll get blood clots! She's really scaring me. It's too painful to walk to the loo, I'm definitely not 'walking around' :-(
  • Posted

You need to walk about if you can just for short walks your mum is right.  The codeine would help with ibuprofen better than paracetomol just drink plenty of fluids when taking it.  
    • Posted

eeeek! The dreaded walks. I will do my best, just scared I'm damaging my foot somehow when the pain kicks in - like the pain is a sign I should stop walking! Thank for your respond I appreciate it 
  • Posted

In my opinion, you should continue taking codeine, which is very effective against post-op pain. Constipation can be managed with a stimulant laxative (eg. senna); if persisting, Mg citrate, lactulose or propylethylene glycol powder will solve the problem. But codeine should not be discontinued.
    • Posted

Ok. Thanks so much for this advice. I'll try the codeine again. Senna doesn't work for me, but I'll have to try a few other things.
  • Posted

Hi I agree you must continue with codeine. In fact my surgeon specifically told me no ibuprofen! I am 6 weeks post op and it's been the last couple of week that have been the most improved. Stick with it ! I am confident the pain will start to ease which is why codeine is a must. Don't worry if you can only manage the loo at the moment. It will seem like you aren't getting anywhere but you need to rest.elevate.yes the duvet hurts your foot. My other half  dropped the phone on my toe at 4 weeks!! I am now walking about with no pain, hardly any numbness. But you must know your limitations and do what your body tells you. I can remove my boots Wednesday so that's the next phase, shoes or trainers. But for you it is certainly very very early days. Do not beat yourself up. One way to look at it is if you are feeling the pain at least no nerves have been damaged and you have feeling there. Good luck you will be fine. Just try and be extremely patient x
    • Posted

Thanks Paula, I am back on the codeine now! Hopefully this week will be better than last. Trying to keep myself busy! What did you do when you were in bed? There's only so many film/series I can watch, and I've already done far too much online shopping haha.
    • Posted

To be fair I had a bit a rough time for the first few weeks! My cat and dad were really poorly so I was consumed with worry there! But I wasreally lucky with visitors and my other half had some time off work. If you can see if you can get use of a wheelchair if someone can take you out? I did a couple of times, not a big fan, but got me out a few times. Write your christmas cards. I am trying, very hard though, to teach myself how to crochet!! I am also doing a bucket list of things I would like to achieve when I am up and about fully. I love the outdoors and exercise so am chomping at the bit to get going again. This operation makes you realise how lucky we are to be fully a able so don't want to waste any time in the future!! However, enjoy your me time coz when you are fit again you won't have the excuse just to sit about!, x
    • Posted

Audio books? I thought I'd read loads and while away the hours by watching DVDs but found I hadn't got the energy to do much of either for the first couple of weeks. Having visitors was good but also really tiring at times - perhaps that was a good result!

Regarding duvet on foot, I really would recommend a bed cradle (actually a tubular frame, the bottom part of which slides between bed base and mattress). I ordered mine off the internet and it arrived the next day. Not sure if you are $ or £ but mine was under £20 and money well spent.

• Posted

Ooooo I didn't know those things existed! I'll look into it thanks smile
    • Posted

You can also do crosswords and jigsaw puzzles on iPad/tablet.
  • Posted

You have my sympathy Rob. The pai seems to vary from person to person.  Did you have a minimally invasive procedure? I am due for mine next Monday (8th) a bilateral too!  Do you play Candy Crush?  That can certainly eat up the time and it is a pretty mindless, but nontheless, addictive game!
    • Posted

Nooo, I wish I knew about that procedure tho! Just found out you get keyhole. I dread to think what my foot looks like under the bandages. Haha no I've never played it, but I've just got an iPad for my birthday last month so I might download the app and give it a go. Good luck with your surgery!!! Luckily we have this forum to help
    • Posted

Bejewelled is another good game and you can play ad infinitum unlike Candy Crush.  If you are musical Song Pop is fun in  which you play against other people! As I said kind of mindless but certainly whiles away the time without too much effort!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.