Post bunion surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hiya, it's a week today since my op and the pain is still so bad. I am taking ibuprofen and paracetamol only as I found the codeine was making me constipated. My foot is fine when I'm in bed and it's elevated, the problem starts when I bet up to go to the toilet/bathroom. Instant sharp pain and it doesn't stop until my foot is elevated again then the pain eases. What can I do about this?? I have the wedge boot and crutches, but barely use it because of the pain. My consultation is 9th dec, I am dreading the trip to the hospital! Is this pain normal? Don't know whether I should try and take the pain when my foot isn't elevated and force myself to walk around, being in bed constantly is really getting to me!

Any comments would be useful please, I speak to my family and friends, but they don't really understand. I even think they think I'm faking the pain!

Thanks xx

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 2 weeks since surgery didn't have too much pain but couldn't take codeine. Just made me feel reall sick. Took paracetamol followed by ibuprofen an hour later. That seemed to work. I didn't have much appetite the first week so got slightly constipated as I usuall eats loads of fruit and veg but week 2 has been better. My foot gets sore as well as soon as I'm walking but just have short bursts up and then elevate again. The wedge shoe makes it difficult to balance and now got aching hip!
    • Posted

This gives me hope, thanks. I just need to push myself to get out of bed more. Currently I only get up to bath and use the toilet. Hopefully all of this suffering is worthwhile in the end!
    • Posted

Have you joined the Face Book the 'I survived a Bunionectomy' forum?
  • Posted

Hi

someone suggested putting pillows on either side of your feet to keep the weight of the duvet off your foot and glad to say it works.  I ended up with one pillow on the good side and two pillows on the bad foot side.  A bit cheaper than having to buy a cradle.

Also another mind numbing game that passes the time is Spider Solitaire.  If you get Candy Crush you may find yourself trapped and not able to progress - I just delete it from the iPad and download again and it starts at the beginning.

hope your pain eases up very soon.  I'm just over 8 weeks post scarf/akin and am definitely getting different pains.  I'm able to walk in shoes I have cut up to be able to get into and found the side of my foot, then my ankle really ached for a couple of days. Then my instep was sore and just now it is the operated toe that is hurting.  It's interesting to find out when you wake in the morning which part is going to hurt next, lol.

take care of yourself.

Paula

• Posted

oh well I'll look forward to the range of aches and pains I have coming my way hhaahaha. Today has actually been the best day so far! I am back on the codeine :-) constipation persists though :-( thanks for the game suggestion too! 
  • Posted

Hi. I have to agree with everyone who has said about taking the codeine. Although it can cause constipation it is very effective, coupled with the use of paracetomol. Drinking extra fluids will help with that. All better than having the pain. At the risk of sounding like your mum, it is vital that you exercise by walking  and getting up every hour or so and by doing leg and ankle exercises whilst sitting regularly. You really do not want to get a blood clot. I was very unlucky and got a clot in my calf. Make sure that you mention any unusual pain that you get in your legs to your doctors. I nearly did not mention this but am extremely pleased that I did! I did follow instructions  and did leg and ankle exercises and was just very unlucky. 

Some really good suggestions to occupy yourself have been made. I don't normally do crosswords or puzzles but received a couple of these books from friends and found that they kept my brain working. I also took the time to research and plan a holiday for next year. Books on the iPad have kept me going . Reading until very tired meant that I slept better. I found that I kept my feet out of the bottom of the quilt.. Later, I used pillows to raise the quilt from off my feet. This worked. 

If the pain does not improve now that you are on the codeine again, then you really do need to go to A and E in case there is an issue eg infection. Good luck! 

• Posted

Thanks so much this is very helpfulsmile what kind of leg exercises did you do?
  • Posted

The sorts of exercises that you do on a plane ie flexing and I flexing foot, cirling ankle, tense buttock and thigh muscles and hold for 5 secs , raise leg with knee bent and straighten it out. And repeat 5 times per leg. Good luck
  • Posted

Totally normal, it's just the rush of blood to your foot when you stand and the swelling cuz it is pretty instant within the first week of post op. 
  • Posted

Hi there

I hope u feel better soon. The blood rush and heaviness when u put yr foot down is normal and quie a strange and scary feeling. However I am concerned about your pain as your wound us still under dressings. Therefore has not been looked at.

You really need to rule out infection and I def recommend you visit A&E .

The other cause if pain could be yr dressing is too tight again u need to see A&E. as you need to rule out restriction to yr circulation. Are yr toes blue purple cold?

Is better to be safe than sorry. H

Having said that pain and discomfort does vary to each individual.

Good luck with what u decide.

• Posted

I feel your pain. Me too jus got surgery done as of 12-05-2014 and I am so frustrated. I cannot explain how uncomfortable I am and how the pecoccet pills they prescribed deffinetly not helping me. My foot is in do much pain and keeping it elevated is more comfortable then moving around, or trying to sit down and elevate them still hurts. I can't wait for this to be over smhmy left foot never felt worse. 
    • Posted

I know exactly how you feel, but I can promise you, in week two things get better!!!!! I am now able to walk around the house with the wedge heeled shoe the hospital gave me for so much longer before the pain really kicks in. Keep elevating as much as you can week 1! I know it's difficult to have to stay in bed etc, but it will be worth it after (that's what I'm telling myself). It's really early days for both of us. Which pain killers are you taking? The codeine is the best one, don't know if you read the comments left by others above. Stick to codeine combined with either paracetamol or ibuprofen. I've also been doing leg exercises in bed (whilst keeping my foot elevated) as I am so scared of blood clots forming! If you can't walk around yet, try and do some leg exercises in bed. Just do what you can do. This forum is amazing, any questions or worries, post them in here! Goodluck :-)
    • Posted

I'm currently on oxycodone 5-325 as known as percocet. I take 1 every six hrs but they're not working too good for me. My mother gave Me some tramadol which works fine I woke up OK I guess. Lil to No pain for now but I kno its coming back.I can't wait for this to be over already. I'm keeping it elevated as much as I can, haven't been out the bed much and I do leg movements too often.I guess sleeping is the best part because you don't feel much of anything No Pain. Different when u up. I'm on day 3 and I know I got a long way to go, to heal up
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice. How strong are your meds ur taking?

• Posted

They were all pretty strong, but I've moved onto normal pain killers now. I'm having mydressing  removed tomorrow, so excited! It's started to become itchy! I can't wait for all of this to be over too. How are you getting on? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.