Post bunion surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hiya, it's a week today since my op and the pain is still so bad. I am taking ibuprofen and paracetamol only as I found the codeine was making me constipated. My foot is fine when I'm in bed and it's elevated, the problem starts when I bet up to go to the toilet/bathroom. Instant sharp pain and it doesn't stop until my foot is elevated again then the pain eases. What can I do about this?? I have the wedge boot and crutches, but barely use it because of the pain. My consultation is 9th dec, I am dreading the trip to the hospital! Is this pain normal? Don't know whether I should try and take the pain when my foot isn't elevated and force myself to walk around, being in bed constantly is really getting to me!

Any comments would be useful please, I speak to my family and friends, but they don't really understand. I even think they think I'm faking the pain!

Thanks xx

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I had my op 2 weeks tomorrow aswel as my union op I had a 3rd metatarsal op at the same time thus removing fused bones and extra bone growth so pins n screws in this site also. I was told not to use my crutches if I can help it so I used them for the 1st week as I was unstable with the wedge shoe alone. I'm elavating my foot as much as I can! I'm taking co-codamol 500mg every 6hrs still as I have pain still! I have my dressings off tomorrow which if I'm honest I'm dreading as I know it's gona hurt!!!!! 

Regards kim x

• Posted

Hi Kim, I was dreading getting dressings off and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought even though the dressing was totally stuck to the wound as it had bled the first time I put my foot down after the op. It took a bit of soaking by the nurse but it really wasn't too painful. Take your painkillers about an hour before you go.
  • Posted

After the dressings come off what do they do? Is there more dressings to go on?
    • Posted

I had more dressings put on as they took stitches out that day. Some people have the stitches that dissolve. I'm going back on Thursday not sure if I still need dressing. Has been healing great so probably not but its a bit like a comfort blanket.
  • Posted

Hi robdog, I don't know whether you are a male or female or what age you are but was wondering how things are for you now or are you still experiencing pain? 

I am young 70yr old lady who had a bunion removed and big toe turned and straightened, just 14 days ago. I had pain especially in my first week but decided not to take painkillers and found I coped pretty well without. I get discomfort when I first have my foot on the floor now at 2 weeks but after a few minutes of walking a little with the aid of crutches, it does slowly get more comfortable. I am still resting the foot - elevated - most of the time during the day and sleep with the foot resting (with boot still on) on two pillows when in bed. So far all seems to be going far better than I had expected. I see the consultant in 2 days when they will X-ray and take out the stitches. I can't wait to see what 'the new foot' looks like. Apparently I will be able to walk more after my visit to the hospital this week although I believe I shall still need to wear the sexy boot for a further 4 weeks. Fingers crossed all will continue to go well for me and that you too are feeling so much better. I had the Scarf Akin procedure in Surrey, UK (on the NHS, by the way). LadyPink

• Posted

Hi there! I'm 5 weeks post op with hardly any pain. Only when I'm on my feet for too long, but mainly my ankle as I am still wearing the ugly shoe haha. I have a follow up hospital appointment next week, can't wait to hear what the doctor has to say. All of the scabs have fallen off and I have been putting Bio oil on the scar, hopefully they will both will fade or at least get lighter. I will say however, now that the scabs are gone and the swelling has gone down slightly (not completely), my foot doesn't look all that different!! Was expecting a much more dramatic difference. Hopefully I won't have the extreme pain I used to have pre op. You're so lucky you werent in agony, the first two and a half weeks were close to the worst of my life! Good luck with your consultation and the new reveal, exciting times!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.