Post bunion surgery sharp pains and spasms.

Posted , 24 users are following.

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since I had a bunion surgery on my right foot. I feel pretty good during the day or if I'm moving a bit (still no weight bearing- using a scooter) Once I lay down I have spasms in that foot accompanied by sharp stabbing pain. It's so bad it wakes me up and keeps me awake. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my surgery on my left foot 2 Weeks ago. Pain was extremely bad the first 2 days ! After that pain was less. Pain came back for a few days as I went out and about . I did take light pain killers (regular Tylenol and advils ) for maybe 6 days only ! Today is my second week and stitches were removed and bandage was set for another 2 weeks!

Recovering is been good as not pain Just common sense when I set my foot on the floor but berable! I have been using ice packs on my leg 3 times a day and on my heal as well and voltaren cream to avoid my leg getting swollen and I think that is making a faster recovery !i go out and about ! But not walking long or much with out a crotchets to avoid pressure . I find putting my foot up gives me more like asleeping foot or nawness sensation so I am sleeping normal position and that works for me and avoiding my foot up so much as my foot goes to sleep otherwise ! Also at home I never use the protection shoe as it gives me more pain as I find it more difficult to walk . I use the boot just to go out and I find it gives me more discomfort . Walking at home with out it to me makes me feel more secure and less pain . So far so good as my foot never gets swollen and pain is more close to were the bunion used to be and only when I use the boot. But not need of pain killers . Is two weeks and back to work to do desk duties for the time been .

• Posted

You are very blessed. My foot is still swollen as I walk on it. The doctor told me to keep it elevated above my heart as much as I can, and to ice the back of my knee when I have the boot on. I also loosen the straps on the front of the boot and insert a gel ice pack with a linen towel wrapped around it a couple of times, and that helps to quickly reduce the swelling.

• Posted

I had my surgery on October 17, 2017

And it’s November 25,2017! I’m in so much pain O have to sleep  during the day and up all night still trying pain pills 

Can’t take this pain 

• Posted

Hello, I recently had surgery my self and I know how you feel. By any chance have you checked with you 're doctor to see what he advices. From what I have read from other posts the advice I see a lot is rest, rest, rest and ice. Please don't be discouraged. I'll keep you in my prayer.

• Posted

I just had my left foot done,bunionlectomy and taliors bunion removed. At night or whenever I relax my body I get the pain spasms and a shooting pain that awakens me from my sleep to the point of crying. What seems to help is lidocaine and prilocaine 2.5% cream.

But at times I just think nothing helps to relieve the nerve pain in my foot.

Had the right one done last Sept.27,2017 just had the left one on January 24,2018

• Posted

Hi just been reading through this thread. Can I ask how your foot is now? I’ve just had both done Monday just gone.

(scarf osteotomy) 

The pain is unbearable at times. Have you any advice you can give as in, am I best staying in bed with feet on pillows or try and walk now and again? 

Thanks 

• Posted

Hi Darren

Keep your feet up as much as you can it helps swelling and the boots leave on 24/7 until you see your doctor I have written what helped me along the way.I get my stitches out tomorrow so far it’s been good so I shall give it a week of walking around then get X-rays done as I see surgeon on the 17/3/18 so will keep you all informed 

• Posted

Hi Shirley

Thanks for replying back. 

I had to contact my doctor yesterday as I was in horrendous pain even with my painkillers which are Codeine and Paracetamol. He’s given me Tramadol to take before sleep, along with paracetamol which seemed to work. I will take your advice. Thankyou. Good luck on your removal of stitches, mine come out 8th March. Hope the pain has subsided by then as I can’t bare anyone near my feet at the minute. 😫 

• Posted

You don’t have to stay in bed, sit on couch with feet up, as much as you can .I did comment on what I did so go through and check, I think I replied to Diane.Good luck.Oh have to rest my foot for another week as there is still slight opening where they opens my foot ,but my dr said the surgeon did a get job👍

• Posted

Hi Darren,

I don't know how you're managing having both done at the same time, I'm bad enough with 1. I had mine done 17 days ago and have found the following helps with the pain,

sleep without cover over feet, if you have cushions or pillows either side of your feet to protect them being knocked. 

have you got any flexible ice packs, I have used these, wrapped in a piece of cotton t shirt material, put them around your feet and loosely fasten the boots you have been given around them, it is like putting your feet in a fridge and brings a lot of relief, also reduced the swelling, ( which makes the bandages tighter and increases the heat and pain).

I had a really good day yesterday and walked about 200 yards but it's given me a major set back today and can now feel the screws digging into my feet.

At the moment I can't face the thought of having the other one done and going through this again, so on a positive note for you, I suppose at least yours will all be done in one fell swoop, although it must be really hard for you now.

Take care.

• Posted

I had my left bunion removed and second hammer toe shortened on Jan. 11, 2019. I had stiches removed this week, but the temporary wire is still in my second toe. I still keep foot wrapped in ace compression bandage and have second toe wrapped in that self sticking tape. I am able to walk with one crutch if I keep weight in heel. I keep foot elevated a lot, ice frequently, soaked foot today in cool water w epson salt, and am doing toe stretching exercices in big toe 3 x per day. Lately pain at night is almost unbearable. Experiencing sharp stabbing pain in both toes and thats with foot elevated and after taking 600 mil of ibuprofen and a pain pill. At times, pain is so stabbing it brings me to tears and its keeping me awake at night. Hopefully this is only temporary because the pain presurgery wasnt even that bad.

• Posted

I just had my left foot done,bunionlectomy and taliors bunion removed. At night or whenever I relax my body I get the pain spasms and a shooting pain that awakens me from my sleep to the point of crying. What seems to help is lidocaine and prilocaine 2.5% cream.

Had the right one done last Sept.27,2017 just had the left one on January 24,2018

• Posted

I'm into my third week the stitches ate out the scab is freaking off and I am walking really good,I keep exercising my toe that I can get back into my heels. Can't wait to go back jogging !

You're in my prayers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.