Post bunion surgery sharp pains and spasms.

Posted , 24 users are following.

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since I had a bunion surgery on my right foot. I feel pretty good during the day or if I'm moving a bit (still no weight bearing- using a scooter) Once I lay down I have spasms in that foot accompanied by sharp stabbing pain. It's so bad it wakes me up and keeps me awake. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am 12 days post op from having right foot chevron bunionectomy. I just started having burning n sharp pains in my foot. Still have compression dressing on but i get the sutures taken out in 3 days. I must say this is by far the worst day I've had. My ankle block worked for 5 days and that was fabulous n wish it was still numb. Has anyone else experienced this burning n stabbing n shooting pains that radiate?

• Posted

I didn’t have pain but cramps, and burning the burning got that bad I had my foot constantly in cold water, then I went back and was told My body was rejecting the screws so I had them out just over 3 weeks , only have mild burning on top know but have been told that will subside,big toe is still numb but hopefully it will pass good luck SHIRLEY 
  • Posted

Hey everyone, i know this is an old thread, but i am on my 15th day post op and i am dying. Its like the pain is just getting worse, shooting, spasms, and also my knee is killing me from carrying around that huge boot everytime i do anything. I have basically been bedbound and still is.. When does this get better? really hope some of you are still on here, and have some good advice!
    • Posted

Hi. I found the pain got worse in weeks 3, 4 and 5, it's as the nerve endings are repairing, were your toes broken and straightened? If so the bones are re-aligning. Have you got a flexible ice pack? I found wrapping one in a piece of t-shirt fabric and using the boot to secure it, created a really cool environment, which really helped. You do need to keep your feet up as much as possible, put a pillow under your feet in bed and a small cushion or pillow under your knees. When the pain and tingling gets really bad try lying on your back and put your foot in the air as high as you can....reduces the swelling. 

I know how painful it can be, I was in agony and swore I was not having the other one done, however, at 10 weeks post op, I was walking my 3 dogs, on my normal 3 mile walk.  My foot looks so much better. When I saw my surgeon at 14 weeks post op, I asked him to put me on the list for the other one, which I had done  almost 6 weeks ago. (This one has not been anywhere near as bad but he has not pulled the big toe so far over to straighten it) So I think that although you are having a nightmare at the moment, the result will be so much better. 

I used 'Lanes, Tea tree and witch hazel cream on my foot, it really helped with the swelling and pain. Oriflame Tender Care balm, original, has been brilliant on the scar, the surgeon asked what I had used as it has really healed well) you can buy it on ebay.

Footwear....this was hard, when you can start walking again...try a pair of skechers, lace ups, in a bigger size than you normally wear and only lace the highest 2 holes to start with.

Pavers floral sandals  code WOIL25005.....you can see these on their website....these have been a life saver, due to them having velcro fastenings. I have worn them continually, they were the only footwear that I can wear and they look ok too. (I cut up a soft sock and taped it over the bunion joint to cushion it, for a while, when I first started walking again.) 

Good luck, at the end of each painful day, try and think, it's a painful day crossed off the calender and a day nearer to recovery. You will get there, believe me and look after yourself,

Regards

Eleanor.

• Posted

eleanor74085, Thank you for your response! Yours has been the most thorough and effective response that applies to me. Very encouraging.

I had bunionectomy with midfoot fusion and shortening of my second toe requiring screws, plates, etc. I'm about 5 1/2 weeks in with no weight bearing. The night spasms and sharp pains have gotten ridiculous! I have not taken my pain meds in a few weeks, but considering starting back at night. I called the doctor a couple of days ago and was reassured that this is normal. Although there was a bit of pain early on, I was encouraged to take pain meds around the clock. I did that for a while, but tapered off because I have an intestinal disease that didn't care for all of that. I've already been doing a lot of what you've suggested. I'm encouraged by your response that these spasms won't last much longer! Prayerfully!! I've got about 3 more weeks no weight bearing.

• Posted

I was using a walker to get around with, sitting on the seat and steering myself going backwards, and that worked pretty good. I also borrowed a scooter from my cousin, which was better until my knee would hurt from all the extra pressure. I stopped taking the prescription pain meds after day two and ibuprophen has been working great, but these new muscle spasms were a huge surprise; they are in my big toe that had the surgery and also the toe next to it.

• Posted

hi yes im having same, i have an insole from podiatry but have to persevere for at least 6 months before i can see if this helps. hope you find a resolve.

• Posted

Yes! I realized you had your surgery 2 years ago, but I am exactly about 3 1/2 weeks after surgery too, and am having the same symptoms you were having. (Glad to know I'm not the only one!) Can you tell me how you progressed after you wrote the above message? Thanks!

• Posted

I am a week postop today after bunionectomy surgery. The pain was not bad at all as I was taking my pain meds but about three days ago I would occasionalky feel a sharp stabbing pain in my foot when I was putting my boot on or something touched it or I rolled over in bed. The pain would last for a while but then go away. I had bunionectomy surgery on the right foot six years ago and never experienced this type of sharp pain...sometimes it’s over the incision site and sometimes it’s on the side where my bunion was removed. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

• Posted

This thread is helpful and encouraging to me. I am four weeks out, and the stabbing and spasm started at about 2.5 weeks after surgery. I was not prepared for this type of pain this far out. I certainly didn't expect to have no pain, but the type of pain is disheartening and severe at times. Thankful to know others have experienced this and it has eventually resolved. The nurse did not get worked up when I told her what was happening, seemed to think it was just part of the process. I have some numbness too.

• Posted

yes im about 1 1/2 years out and wake up screaming with such bad foot cramps .. still tring to get help to have a revion

cant be on my foot for more then 6 hours before the pain starts

• Posted

I had surgery two weeks ago, pain manageable until today when shooting pain from bunion area is almost unbearable. I have a wound check, stitches out and bandage redress in a couple of days, hoping it eases after that. Never expected it to feel this bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.