Post gallbladder pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I had my gallbladder removal almost 7 months ago but Im still suffering for pain. Everyday I have a bad stomach discomfort mostly its a hyperacidity. When its start paining I will be weak like ready to collapse and there is uncomfortable in breathing. Im taking PPI but just a short period the effect and the pain will come back again. Please I really need your advises if you have experiencing the same thing?

Im curious if I can keep taking the PPI for long term? Sometimes Im very hopeless to think of I will still have a chance to go back in normal situation. Its really cause disturbances in ky daily activities. I hope God will heal all of us who's suffering from any diseases.

Looking forward to your advises.

God bless us!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you are in pain. I hope it gets better soon.  

I had my gallbladder removed, and before the operation the consultant told me that if after the operation I still had the same pain he would diagnose IBS as it would be unlikely to be anything else.

Sending positive vibes to you. smile

• Posted

Thanks dho😊 your so lucky if you didnt feel any discomfort after the surgery. God bless
  • Posted

Are you constipated as well ?
    • Posted

Thanks God Im not constipated. The only thing that Im suffering right now is the acidity and feeling bloated. Im in a fat free diet, I eat everyday lots of veggies and fruits. I dont know if in few months I will be back to normal. So hopeless to think it everyday. Its really affect my daily life specially my work.
  • Posted

Hi there.  I too have the same thing.  8 month post gallbladder removal.  I take PPIs max strength 40 mg morning and night.   Now have acid problems and IBS too.  Burning amnomina in nose and throat. Still trying to figure out a combo of good food and med to stop the pains.    I can't believe I have so much pain now and there is now one that has the answer.   I keep doing more tests and they keep coming back at the high end of the normal ranges.   I am trying on the advice of my GI peppermint oil drops. Just got it and trying it this weekend.  I don't wish this pain and feeling on anyone.  
    • Posted

Please let me know the feed back after you gonna try the peppermint oil. I hope it will works well on you. God bless☺
    • Posted

Hi there.  I have been using the peppermint oil a drop in water. I think it is working.  Somehow I lost my pills I was taking.  2 weeks worth. So not taking anything now other than the peppermint oil and watching what I eat.  Funny thing is I can find them anywhere. It's very strange that they are gone. I am thinking a higher power is telling me not to take them.  I have looked everywhere too even the garbage.  Very odd. And I can't refile the prescriptions for another week and a half.  No PPIs at 40mg morning and night no antiprssents nothing.  So far I am not worse and even feel better.  I will keep you updated.  
    • Posted

That's good to hear, hope you will contineously feel better soon. Anyway, how often you used the peppermint oil?
  • Posted

After taking Nexium for gosh 15+ years, I have gone off them.  Mostly because I've been reading some of the studies they've been doing on PPI's.  the withdrawal has been absolutely the worst.  some days I don't think I'm going to make it, it's that bad.  As for your hyperacidity, I went online and got "Stops Acid Reflux" and it helps, a little.  I've also gotten some stuff to coat my stomach, a little stronger than Mylantin.  That helps some.  Went to Chinese dr and she gave me some herbs that i take once a day and that helps too.  but you know, what settled my stomach, quite a bit?  I had a piece of candy, Starburst candy.  I know, sugar.  But let me tell you, just one piece, really helped.  Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi Queence,

I had my gallbladder removed 8 years ago, and immediately had the same problems that you are having. It took a year to completely settle down, after trying Welchol to bind bile in stomach (this happens sometimes after gb removal), Carafate, and many proton pump inhibitors. Things settled down after a year, but I needed to stay on the ppi. I took it for 6 years, tried to get off of it a few times, and was finally successful two years ago. I had random flare ups, but Zantac usually took care of it. 6 weeks ago, I woke up with a resurgence of chest pain, nausea, and burning in the stomach. I am back on a ppi, but it is not working so far.

I think there are a few of us who have problems after gb removal. Some have bile going into their intestines which gives them D, and others get stomach irritation and reflux. I was very hesitant to go back on the ppi because of all of the bad press regarding long term health consequences, but I am so miserable right now that I don't care, if only it would work again.

If the ppi works for you, I would suggest you stay on it, and try to get off of it in a few months. It is something that you have to wean off of slowly over a period of weeks. If you can't do without it, try to find the lowest dose that controls your symptoms. It is better than suffering. Hopefully your body will adjust to the gb removal and all will be well in a few more months. 

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your post surgery experienced. I hope that soon we will get back to normal by God's help. I'de taken Proton for 2 weeks after that Im taking every other day but the pain is come back so now Im decided to take it everyday. Im scared for the side effects that might happen if I used it long term.

How you take your PPI? What is your dosage? For me Im just taking it once a day 40mg and the rest Im managing it with chamomile tea since the proton will just take few hours to me then the symptoms come back again.

Looking for your response.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Queence,

It sounds like we are in the same boat. I take 40 mg. of Protonix first thing in the morning. It is important to take it 30 minutes before breakfast, since ppi's are activated by food. I am only getting mild symptom relief, and it wears off by afternoon. I am using Gaviscon, but I know I can't do this forever. 

I am thinking of trying a different proton pump inhibitor to see if I get any better relief. I am so frustrated that this happened so many years after the gallbladder removal. I feel the same as I did right after the surgery. I never had any of these problems before the surgery. I only had a pain in my side, an ultrasound to confirm I was filled with stones, then surgery. It was supposed to be routine, and no one told me there are many people who have major problems afterwards.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all resolves for you soon. You are still within the time frame that the body is getting used to dealing without a gallbladder, and it takes time to settle down. 

But I would take the medicine if it helps. You might not have to take it forever, and you can try to go off of it later.

My thoughts are with you.

• Posted

I really thought that after surgery I will not be in pain cause of gallstone. Before surgery I dont have this kind of uncomfortable stomach everyday. I have 4 friends did while ago and they are very lucky because they are not suffering right now. They just have occasionally diarrhea but they can manage it well.

Im so hopeless because its affect much my daily routine. I stop at work because I cant able to manage my situation everyday. I cant hang out with friends for long time because of this situation.

Try to take 3x a day chamomile tea maybe it will help you to relax your stomach for few hours. I also did 2 weeks ago for whole abdomen ultrasound thanks God everything is normal. But still confuse what exactly the reasons why I have this pain until now.

Did you loss weight after the surgery? I loss 10kg after my surgery and until now I cant gain back weight. Im little skinny now that makes me worried too.

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles. It seems that when most people have complications from this surgery, it is usually D, and that can be cleared up with a simple medication. 

I understand completely about affecting your quality of life. When you feel miserable, it is all you can think about. It seems like it will never end, and every morning when you wake up, you wonder how bad of a day it will be. It is hard to work, be with friends, or do anything except worry about your health.

Yes, I did lose a lot of weight, but I needed to anyway. But when the problem resolved while on the ppi, I actually gained weight and felt great. Now I'm back to square one. I haven't found anything that really helps, and if it doesnt clear up soon, I guess I'll go for more extensive testing. They can do a test to see what is refluxing and if you have a week esophageal sphincter. I've avoided these tests because they are not pleasant, and going on a ppi is what they try first anyway.

That is great that your abdominal ultrasound was normal. Hopefully you just need a few more months to heal. Hang in there. There seems to be a lot of us, and at least we can help each other.

• Posted

Thank you so much dear. Im just keep praying that very soon I will ease all these pain im suffering right now and back to normal. One thing more, are you in a special diet? I mean to you have a food routine everyday? What usually food your are eating?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.