Post LINX recovery time?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I learned about the LINX procedure about two years ago. I am now considering having this done as my reflux has worsened + I have Barretts Oesophagus. My reflux does not respond to any of the PPI's, I have tried them all. I am in pain and discomfort 24 hours a day. Can anyone tell me how soon can you return to work after the LINX has been put in place? My manager is not very tolerant of sick time, I would take annual leave to have this done.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I had my LINX fitted in June but the recovery is so different for each person. 

Unless they've changed things they will not do linx of you have barrets 

• Posted

I haven't heard that, I wonder why that is, it would protect the oesophagus and help the Barrets cells from progressing to cancer cells. Doesn't make sense does it?
    • Posted

It apparently just doesn't work with barrets and they won't do it with a HH over 2 to 3 cm either.its VERY selective I just thank God I was suitable 
    • Posted

Glad you were able to get it done. My B.Osphecus is 3mm so no chance. But understand that maybe if the osphecus is corroded that it would be impossible to have this procedure. Sadly only found out about mine after had had a procedure for another issue. But grateful we have the NHS.
    • Posted

I tak IT you had Nissen ? I've heard so many scary stories about it it's antiquated and very invasive it's rhe not being able to throw up that scared me and the fact it's not reversible unlike linx. If you pm me I can put you in touch with. Group which may help 
  • Posted

Can tell me what the LINX procedure is please, interested as have

Barretts Oesophagus also.

• Posted

Sadly it can't be done if you have barrets. It changed my life totally
    • Posted

I have googled this and there is nothing to say it cannot be done with Barrets only that there is very little post info about it on it's success rate. I am seeing my GP on Thursday so I will check it out with her. I have a very small patth of Barrets, 1cm, but the way I am going, I feel it will have progressed cry 
    • Posted

I'm not saying this to upset you nor pit you off it's what my surgeon told me and others confirmed it. I Belong to a group that has all you need to know about the critaria for linx of your interested 
    • Posted

No, I know you are not saying it to upset me, it just came as a bit of a shock. I just don't understand why when I have severe reflux. I don't know about taking PPI's for life, I will be on anti-deppresentssad
  • Posted

The LINX procedure is an expandable titaium "bracelet" fitted around the base of your oesophagus. It prevents reflux. It is the latest treatment for severe reflux and has a success rate of over 90%. It is only carried out in approx three hospitals in the UK at the moment, very expensive procedure!

• Posted

H HA yes I'm in the UK. My manager gets very grumpy and makes you feel very uncomfortable. I have had quite a bit of time off the last 18 months because of this problem. I work for the NHS but they don't look after their own
    • Posted

That is shocking. What can your manager do about it if you produce a doctors certificate?

I thought that the NHS would be like the old nationalised industrires:-)

I once phoned British Gas. Conversation went:

Can I speak to Mr X?

Sorry he he is not in today he is having one of his sick days.

Pardon, What do you mean?

We are allowed X number of sick days a year and if you don't take them by the end of the year you lose them.

Thank you,  I'll phone tomorrow. 

• Posted

Thats funnylol

No, we are not allowed so many sick days per year (unfortunately). They are VERY strict over sick time, take so many days and you are hauled up in front of HR and sent to Occy Health for investigations. We are not allowed to be ill!!

• Posted

My wifes two nieces who were nurses had considerable times of sick leave.
    • Posted

That must be a while ago. They have a point system now, get so many points and you're in trouble. Not to worry, I will sort it out. Sounds as tho the LINX procedure is contraindicated if you have Barrets anyway, so the sick time isn't going to be a problem after all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.