Post menopausal bleeding

Posted , 25 users are following.

Help! I'm 57 and have not had a period in 3 years. I had a yeast infection I believe for one week. Itchy like crazy and then yesterday started spotting. Light pinkish. Still happening today. I've been googling the subject to death and am convinced I have cancer. Seeing GP next week. Has this happened to anyone. ??

1 like, 220 replies

220 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes, it happened to me ... One year a little then the next year

Had a endometrial biopsy

Thickening worried me

It was a huge fibroid ( benign )

Good luck , im sue you'll be ok

Google is a great thing but not for panic patients sad just causes additional worry .

• Posted

I am crazy panicked. Writing my will. Scared
    • Posted

Hi, Glynnie,

Sorry to learn that you're going through this.  Please try not to panic.  I started to spot after over 10 years with no period.  You've done the right thing, don't wait around.  Your doctor may refer you to a gynecologist to get the tests done.  

Take heart and do whatever you need to do to keep yourself healthy as soon as you can.  Try to accept that you're fearful, as it's only natural!

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do! xx

• Posted

What happened when u were spotting ? What was it. Funny how the mind works. I'm having all the symptoms I'm reading now. Panic stricken I guess. Thank u

• Posted

Hi, Glynnie,

When I spotted, it was like a slight smear of brown discharge, like what I would get when I was just finishing off a normal period. I should also mention that I began to feel fatigued, and when I rested, I didn't bounce back quickly.

I found a good GYN who did a pap smear and checked me, first for ovarian cancer markers (by blood test) and HPV.  I was then sent for an ultra sound.  It showed the lining of my uterus (what's called the uterine stripe) to be 8MM.  If it's more than 4MM the practice is to get a biopsy done. I tested negative for the ovarian cancer markers, HPV and cervical cancer.  

After the biopsy, I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer.  Very soon afterwards, I had a total hysterectomy with removal of adjacent lymph nodes.  The cancer was confined to the uterus; but I'm taking medication now to make my chances of a reoccurrence less, just in case.

I was terrified, but my husband, family and friends were very supportive.  During all this, I tried to:

* Accept my feelings (I'm scared)

* Know my purpose (to find out what I had)

* Do what must be done (Have surgery or do whatever else I had to)

I was also comforted by this wonderful site and the support of the women on it.  We're all hoping that you get a resolution soon!

Know that we're thinking about you and ready to support you!  xx   

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. And thank god you had surgery and are okay. I will keep everyone posted what transpires. I really feel like I need to see my doctor on Monday , not Wednesday. Reading all the posts is calming me down somewhat ....
    • Posted

I am 49 and I am waiting on biopsy results for lining 8mm and post menopausal bleed I'm worried sick again how did you cope? X

• Posted

Hi Michelle, 

So sorry you're going through this! I think it might help to focus on the fact that you've done absolutely what you need to do--starting to find out what's happening in your body, so that it can be dealt with as soon as possible.

I just tried to deal with the day to day stuff as best I could.  I hadn't been feeling at all well, run down, no stamina, since February of 2016.  Then, I started to spot on April 14. Eventually, got to an ob/gyn and was diagnosed and had surgery in July.  Those were long, long weeks of waiting.  

I will confess, I was terrified.  I think that you need to do what you need to do to get through it, cry, pray, get mad.  One thing I didn't do was to tell everyone what was going on.  I confided in my husband, of course, and my children and two very close friends.  I didn't tell other family, friends or acquaintances.  Because you can't take care of everyone while you're trying to take care of you. And, you need to take care of you!

Please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

How are you now Linda? I’ve been spotting on and off for 2 months. Had 2 biopsies done. Not enough tissue was collected for the first one so gynaecologist has to repeat it.  I have to go get results in 3 weeks unless it shows something more serious and they call me sooner. I am terrified but trying to remain positive.  Has anyone spotted for 2 months straight?
    • Posted

I thought I was keeping on top of things My mom is an ovarian cancer survivor (28 years) . Ever since i’ve Been having annual mammogram s and pelvic/transvaginal ultrasounds. Results were always normal. Now i’ve been spotting for the last 2 months on and off. 
    • Posted

Yes u can spot for that long or longer. Just home from surgery on 2/28. How are you getting on?
  • Posted

Glynnie, the worst thing to do is google because it goes straight to the worse case 

sce·nar·i·o girl! I went through the same thing post meno bleeding but  mine bleeding was extermely heavy and ended me up in ER. I hadn't had a period in over 19 months!  My uterus lining was 9mm went through all test and biospy thank the Lord all was okay. Oh and by the way I'm 59 I just went through what you going through on June 2, 2016. Don't let the fear paralize you like it did me and even now I fight fear!  I know its easier said then done. Before this happened to me I hadn't had a pap in almost 21 years SO you can only imagine the tormenting fear that gripped me!  I will NEVER do that again!  What you are going through is actually quite common. Hugs. 

• Posted

What did they do for the thickness around lining?
    • Posted

Only the biopsies ...I guess they would of done more if it showed hyperplasia  or something suspious. Did any other pladies on here that got bisopies done in office and got a clean report do anything else?
  • Posted

I bled after two years, had thickening around uterus. Had a D& C for biopsy no cancer thank God. Try not to worry too much go to Dr. they will figure it out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.