Post menopausal bleeding

Posted , 25 users are following.

Help! I'm 57 and have not had a period in 3 years. I had a yeast infection I believe for one week. Itchy like crazy and then yesterday started spotting. Light pinkish. Still happening today. I've been googling the subject to death and am convinced I have cancer. Seeing GP next week. Has this happened to anyone. ??

1 like, 220 replies

220 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Glynnie, you've come to the right forum ;o)  Lots of us having the same or similar symptoms and also terrified of what's causing it. You've done absolutely the right thing by contacting your GP - make sure he or she sends you for further tests. The majority of the time it turns out not to be cancer but we have to make sure. I have a biopsy of the uterus on Monday morning because scan showed thickened lining. I've read the whole of the internet on the subject (well that's what it feels like) and realised I just have to go out and do other things until I've had the tests done and get the results. So stay brave and calm and try not to worry until you have a definite result. x

• Posted

Hi, Jane,

Good luck to you, and please let me know how you do!  xx

• Posted

Thanks Lynda, I will. And thank you for your wise words of how to cope and for sharing your strength in dealing with what must have been very, very hard. I really hope you stay clear! With love and support to all of you out there. Jane xx
    • Posted

HI, Jane,

I didn't have any abdominal pain or bloating.  I did have what felt like a twinge, especially when sitting. Similar to a period cramp. If I had wanted to, I could have ignored it as an inconvenience. I'm very thankful that I didn't.

My doctor took the long way round, testing me for the other stuff.  When it came time to go in for the biopsy, my IBS was so terrible, I missed 2 appointments.  So, I called the doctor and got a few tranquilizers.  Those and about 5 immodium helped me get to and make it through the biopsy.  My husband came and held my hand.  I got the biopsy done on Tuesday, and found out about the cancer on Friday, in the late afternoon. My GYN called me. He'd already referred me to a surgeon/oncologist.  The surgeon's office called Monday morning at 9. 

When I found out, I gave myself a little over 24 hours to mourn, including crying as much as I could. Fortunately for me, someonce had cancelled her surgery, and the practice asked me, before I had my first appointment with the surgeon, if I wanted to take the slot.  

So I had my first appointment with the surgeon on Thursday, and had the surgery on the first Monday afterwards.  I can't imagine why anyone would cancel surgery, but I was grateful to be able to have my hysterectomy asap. 

I was terrified through most of this.  But, thanks to the tranquilizers, I could sleep.  If you're having a hard time sleeping or feeling especially fearful, tell your doctor and ask for something to help you.  You need your rest, even if it seems the world is spinning out of control around you.  The doctors should help in any way they can.  Please ask for help if you need it.  To me, it doesn't matter how you get through it, stiffed lipped and stoic or blubbering like a baby, you just need to get through it!

xxx

• Posted

Hi Linda such a shock for you, are you okay now I hope everything is ok, and your surgery went well, and you are on the mend now, all the best to you xx
    • Posted

No bloating. I have been having twitches in my legs lately which my doctor attributes to my low vitamin b and d. I am now on supplements. But I have taken the ball and ran with it Now I'm thinking I have cancer throughout my body and the twitching and bleeding are late end symptoms. I am an over exerciser. I find after I work out the bleeding or spotting is more what I call it is more prominent. Dark pink/red. I'm trying to stop googling diseases I pray if it is something bad I can be treated. I am scared. My anxiety is through the roof. I am grateful for everyone's response and that I am not alone. I just hope it's nothing ominous. I am always tired. But after reading the Internet I'm experiencing everything I read !!

• Posted

Thanks, Marilyn!

I'm doing okay.  Starting on the medication and hoping for little or no side effects!  smile 

My surgery did go well, and I'm on the mend.  Still trying to get used to it.  

I'm not upset that I don't have my bits any longer--I was glad to be rid of 'em!  smile

xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda,so glad to here that, as for getting through it, anyway you can I agree it doesn't matter how as long as we all do, all the best Hun xxx

• Posted

So true, Lynda! "To me, it doesn't matter how you get through it, stiffed lipped and stoic or blubbering like a baby, you just need to get through it!"

• Posted

Hi, Marilyn,

All the best to you, too!  I've had two days on the meds and so far, just feeling dizzy and a bit out of it. 

I hope the side effects continue to be minimal.  How are you doing?

• Posted

Hi aw so sorry to here your so scared, I had a bleed as well had all tests not cancer, but cells are changing quickly so I am on urgent list for hysterectomy, some days I am great and other days omg, especially at 3 in the morning all alone and panic sets in I am trying to keep busy, so please have test done soon, and I hope you are okay I am 61 xx
    • Posted

Marilynn, if no cancer and your test was good then how do they know your cells are changing quickly? I was told come in next year for yearly. Did you have test again a few days later or something sorry i'm a little confused.

• Posted

I had test in March, then treated with progesterone,  the cells were precancerous bleed continuously for six weeks had another test, and the cells had changed so much and so quickly, they said it would turn into cancer if they don't act quickly sorry I have brain fog x

• Posted

hi and I haven't had a period for at least 15 years x

• Posted

Hi, Marilyn,

So sorry to learn you're going through this.  I am 67.  I hadn't had a period in over 10 years.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do! xxx

• Posted

it would seem like they would run a yearly transvaginal to check the uterus just like they do a yearly pap smear for cervical cancer. Why don't they. I never knew we could get uterus cancer thats how dumb I was to this. I think it should be  just as of an concern as paps for cervical cancer even if uterus cancer only happens to meno women or can younger women get it?

• Posted

I never knew either, I had never heard of it until I had this bleed I must be dumb as well, if it wasn't for my daughter I would not have bothered, as I had been to the gym and I thought I had strained myself, with the weights 

• Posted

I agree, we should get regular checks. Or at the very least a leaflet letting all women over 45 know about the risks. I never knew either that it existed until about 3 weeks ago. But apparently it's the most common gyny cancer - more than cervical or ovarian. Younger women can get it but it's rare. 

• Posted

Yes. Regular checks. By the way pap smear sometimes can show uterine c. I fear mammograms greatly...
    • Posted

I never knew that a pap smear can sometimes show uterine C.
    • Posted

Yes because there are or can be cells from the uterus which pass through the cervix, as blood would... So a neg pap smear is good. It isn't the same as a biopsy but still good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.