Post menopausal bleeding

Posted , 25 users are following.

Help! I'm 57 and have not had a period in 3 years. I had a yeast infection I believe for one week. Itchy like crazy and then yesterday started spotting. Light pinkish. Still happening today. I've been googling the subject to death and am convinced I have cancer. Seeing GP next week. Has this happened to anyone. ??

1 like, 220 replies

220 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm still in perimenohell. Try not to think the worst. I read a lot of women who bleed after menopause. Good luck!

• Posted

Did you get cream for the the ICU. Have you been scratching if so that explains the pinkish colour you have been getting.
  • Posted

I don't know if your bleeding is due to scratching or blood from the uterus. Did you have any pre period symptoms? Usually it is not cancer but the gynie will want to be super safe and do necessary checks which will probably include an internal US and maybe biopsy. Many of us went through this or are going through it. I'm waiting for biopsy results...

• Posted

I was scratching my yeast infection , if that is what it was , like crazy last week. I'm not really itchy now. But bleeding.

• Posted

Are you bleeding slot.it could be when you were scratching like mad you scratch your lining . Go and get it checked out.or try a soothing cream
    • Posted

Well could be you hurt yourself a bit. Go to your gynie. Try to be calm as most bleeding, 90 percent at least, is not cancer. Hugs!
  • Posted

I haven't read through all these posts but I had post menopausal bleeding. No period for almost 3 years and then I had one. Turned out it was just a hormonal surge. That was a year and a half ago and in fine. Also, I had the spotting like you after sex one time. So probably what am happened is that you had an infection that caused some irritation and spotting. Totally normal in menopause because the cervix gets dry and thinner. Seems like it's probably not a coincidence that the spotting came around the time of an infection. So I don't think you have a lot to worry about but it's always a good idea to see the doctor. And dont Google! I remember how scared I was. Also, the stress and worry gave me lots of stomach problems which made me think the worst. Turns out that went away when I found out I was fine.

• Posted

Funny that u say that because now my stomach is upset. But could be my nerves. I am a bundle of nerves. My bleeding did start after yeast infection but now it seems yeast infection is gone. Still spotting all day and I especially notice it after I peeh. Should I phone my Drs office on Monday and tell them the problem ? Or wait til Wednesday ? I can't think about anything else. It's constantly a nagging thought at the back of my mind.

• Posted

Call Monday, not to scare you atcall but mire to releive you from a few days more of worrying . Please kets us know

We all care . 😘

• Posted

I would just go into ER and tell them exactly that you had a yeast infection and then started spotting they could check and get the ball rolling for you. Thats what I did was went to ER i had no choice though I was bleeding terribly heavy! But I would just go to ER if I was you it maybe ALL yeast related!
    • Posted

I will call Monday morning. I'm just spotting so I'm afraid ER would send me home. I'll probably be on here posting until I see the doctor and then posting what is being done about it. Of course I have twitches in my leg that I'm now convinced is the cancer and not my vitamin deficiencies as I was told. I hope I can sleep tonight.

• Posted

Well they can't send you home without checking first :-)  But if you feel better waiting till Monday thats fine too. I hope you sleep good tonight try your best to focus on a good movie or something! 

• Posted

Not that any time would be a good time for this but to top it off my daughter is having a huge wedding in 2 weeks. I will be of little help with the state I'm in. I haven't told her anything.

• Posted

Wow congrats to your daughter!  I thnk you will be teling your daughter awesome good news by then !  :-) 
    • Posted

Would ER check me ? They are awful where I live
    • Posted

Yes, they have too check you!  I think it would give you some piece of mind thats where I got my transvaginal ultra sound was in ER. 
    • Posted

Maybe it wasn't a yeast infection. Could have been any other type of infection. Instill think it's not a coincidence that the two happened around the same time. Even if you didn't do it scratching, the infection could have caused it. Not exactly sure what the doctos office will do. But if you can get in on monday, it will be less waiting. But i dont think its an emergency.

• Posted

Hi, Glynnie,

I wouldn't go to the ER.  Primarily becase you will probably sit and sit, and then, if you're lucky, get examined by a doctor who would tell you to contact your physician.  They wouldn't perform tests unless you were bleeding heavily, which is not the case.  

I think that contacting the doctor's office on Monday would save you some worry.  

Best of luck! xx

• Posted

I agree. I'll try to keep it together til Monday. I hope I don't have to wait forever to see a gyne doctor

• Posted

Glynnie, as you can see, many women have this, so please try not to panic or you will end up in the ER for an anxiety attack. I understand your concern, but others have experienced

This before, so try not to think the worst. X

• Posted

I agree. I'm waaay over anxious trying to calm down. Everyone here is helping.

• Posted

Glynnie, got a call from a nurse on Friday and left a VM to tell me about my bllodwork. The labs were not female related and didn't get the msg until after their hrs. I wasn't freaking out, but I had thoughts like what could it be? I didn't think I would be able to speak to anyone until monday. Yesterday , my primarys nurse called to tell me I have a UTI. Not a huge deal and although I did think for a sec, could it be bad???

• Posted

Hi, Colleen,

I saw your post and thought I'd give you some information.  As women age they often aren't aware that they get UTI's. And, UTI's get more and more serious.  In my previous line of work I have seen women develop symptoms of dementia, and start to behave as if they were losing their minds. Eventually, they get diagnosed and treated for a UTI and their mental difficulties go away. Sometimes, the heavy duty antibiotic drugs that have to be used for resistant bacteria have severe side effects.

I would suggest that you might want to start taking cranberry extract capsules daily to guard against UTI's.  It's just a thought.

Best, to you!

• Posted

Thank you. I'll try it. Can u bleed from your vagina with a UTI and not bleed when u peeh ?

• Posted

Hi, Glynnie,

I'm not a medical professional, I just have some knowledge due to my former profession and personal experience.

I would say that if you have a UTI, and it's becoming more serious, then you can be bleeding from your urethra when you urinate due to infection of your urinary tract, which would include your bladder and your kidneys. You would generally not bleed from your vagina.

If the infection had become more severe, there might be a slim possibility that it could also move to your vaginal opening, but I think it's not likely.  That's why you need to see a doctor in response to any unexplained bleeding, from your urethra, vagina or rectum, so the cause can be investigated.  

Hope this helps. xx

• Posted

Colleen, no symptoms at all wow!  I did not know they could check for a UTI by blood work!
    • Posted

Oh no. I probably have something much worse than a UTI
    • Posted

Just did an sean t insanity workout for one hour. After I was done spotting more pinker and obvious. Help!!!
    • Posted

I would lay off of those 1 hour work outs, until no bleeding at all .  I was always told to NOT do them during any bleeding because it makes it worse. Any leg movement causes friction to even more so if its a long workout. If from UTI you could cause rubbing and aggervating it during excerise. 
    • Posted

I will lay off the work outs. I do notice it's worse after I work out.

• Posted

I need a psychiatrist now I think. I've gone crazy

• Posted

Well, as they say at the asylum, "We're all crazy, here!"  lol smile  

• Posted

MENO sees to that crazy lol  You know on a serious note I just wonder how many poor women are there (asylum)  that just didn't realize it was HORMONES/MENO that possible caused them to be there. I know there has been MANY times I thought I would just SNAP and loose it with all the nightmare symptoms of this thing they call "Going through the change" I mean think about it what 10 to 13 years long time to suffer! I also heard that once you are "TRULY MENO" it takes another 3 years for your body to adjust to horribly low hormones. I have one friend that I try my best to NOT be jealous of or get mad at her because she has NEVER birthed a child or lost any organs she is only 2 years younger than me and she is breezing through this stuff (peri-meno) always happy, laughing and going everywhere just enjoying life! Here I am fighting everything from vulva to all the connecting parts to it and MUCH more. My hormone symptoms are NON stop and still new symptoms are added to my already 66 of them! I am happy that she is breezing through this but at the same time I'm jealous does that make me inhuman? She does NOT understand my symptoms and why I'm such a drag in life compared to hers! Can anyone relate or is this an emotional trip I'm on with no destination in site :-)

• Posted

Hi Crosado, it's a very natural human emotion to be jealous - I think we're all jealous of someone! However, don't be jealous of her never having children. I haven't got any and I would give anything in the world to be a mum, it's a bereavement I will have for the rest of my life. So feel blessed that you have the love of your kids - I am jealous of you for that! Deep breathe and have a glass of wine - that's exactly what I'm about to do!  Cheers!  J xx

• Posted

:-) well trust me not all my children are close or all that loving especially since they married! I must admit there has been many times I have wished I never had a child (hormones/other stuff ) it has taken a horrible tow on my body and emotions! I love them regardless but if I could re-do life two thngs for sure I would NOT do that is get married or have children!
    • Posted

I have a gf my age. She never has any issues. I definitely am always trying to put on a happy front for her. Not easy. And my anxiety is so high so it seems like the list of what's wrong with me continues to climb. Right now I'm just fixated on my bleeding. It's impossible to ignore

• Posted

I think I have everything now. I am an over exerciser and under eater. My vitamin b12 and d severely low. Dr says that's why I am twitching and to stop exercising so much. I do insanity workouts and beast body that are meant for 20 year olds. I'm 57. I am insane I think. And now I am bleeding. Just one more thing wrong with me. I'm just sooo worried it's ovarian cancer. Silent killer disease. I have to stop googling it.

• Posted

I have/had two friends with OC and I know for what you explained its not OC :-)
    • Posted

I forgot to say Glynnie I wish I had your energy to excerise like that! I need to lose a good 100 plus pounds!  :-(   How you get adicted to doing that?
    • Posted

It's human to compare ourselves to others.  But I think that each person has obstacles, and difficulties in this life to surmount that others may not be aware of. There's a poem about a man who is handsome, and envied for his looks and good fortune.  At the end of the poem he kills himself. sad

A very long time ago, women were put in asylums because they refused to follow the norm.  They were promiscuous; had children out of wedlock.  They refused to have sex with their husbands.  They would not marry as their parents desired.  They did not bond with their children They objected to a mistress.

Others had hormone problems; I have a disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, that used to send women to mental hospitals.  

When I was young, I used to fantasize about living in the past--I don't any longer. smile   

• Posted

I am actually having a drink and watching fear of the walking dead. Anything to distract me
    • Posted

Sounds like a good plan. The walking dead is better but it's not back on yet so fear of twd is the next best thing. 😀

• Posted

I am trying soooo hard not to worry. More I try, more I worry. God. My glass of wine is helping
    • Posted

Hi everyone. My doctor appt Is on wed. Sigh

Woke up to no bleeding. So far anyways. Itchy and raw. I'm going to post here all day long. Still worried and can't stop obsessing. Why does this spotting come and go?

• Posted

Itchy is not a symptom of cancer. But because you're so miserable, I'd call the doctor. I do not think you have anything but an infection. But it needs to be cleared up.

• Posted

They can't see me til wed. An infection ca cause bleeding ? I am having trouble stopping myself from digging for the blood. Not helping matters I know but it's hard. Think I'll walk the dogs

• Posted

Go buy some Monistat sounds like a yeast infection
    • Posted

I think buying the Monistat is a great ideal , it's over the counter and doctors recommend it..You need to be using something to get that itch under control. Plus that digging up there for blood is constant rub which can also irrate, Trust me if the blood is up there it'll come down all by itself :-) 

• Posted

Hi, Glynnie, 

You might have an infection, but there's no way to be certain it's a yeast infection.  The company that makes monistat also makes a self diagnosis test kit that you can use to test and see what you have.  So, I'd suggest you go to a drug store, get the test kit and get some monistat, just in case.  If the test kit indicates you have a yeast infection use the monistat.  If not, don't.  Remember that you might make things worse for yourself.  And do mention the bleeding when you see the doctor.

Best of luck!

• Posted

I will. No blood yet today. Is that how spotting usually happens. I'm more confused than ever

• Posted

When spotting does it sometimes take a while to come out ? Not sure I'm wording my question right

• Posted

I don't think it's a yeast infection. Well. I did last week

• Posted

Back from walking dogs. No blood but it feels like I have a discharge that just isn't coming out

• Posted

it can take a while, but I think yours was from irration thus why it comes and goes.
    • Posted

Just lifted weights. Started spotting right after. Obviously not an infection ......and I'm worrying twenty fold now. Sigh

• Posted

I'm panicking...

• Posted

Don't lift those weighs :-)  Spotting maybe from all the activity you been doing checking for bleeding so much and not letting rawness clear. What time is your appointment Wednesday? May I ask how old you are Glynnie? 

• Posted

I'm 57. My appt is at 1:15 on wed if I don't have heart attack by then

• Posted

I feel raw done there. Not really painful but uncomfortable. But I think it's accentuated in my mind now. I'm trying to take note of what I'm really experiencing and what the panic has set in. I'm not making any sense am I ?

• Posted

Hi, Glynnie.  My suggestion is that you go to any mirror, look yourself in the eye and yell "STOP!"  Do it as many times as you need to for your ego to get the message.  

You have developed coping mechanisms for dealing with life.  One of them is exercising; the other is over thinking.  I know, because I'm a champion at over thinking. But even the best coping mechanism doesn't help with every situation.    

You cannot solve this problem without help, and you can't get that help until Wednesday.  Even then, your doctor must order tests and those take a while.  You are not a doctor, and neither am I.  None of us has the knowledge or expertise to figure this out.

Right now, your coping mechanism is becoming self-torture.  If you keep beating yourself up, Wednesday will come and you may be too wrought up to speak to your doctor, or to understand what your doctor is telling you.  You need to really care for yourself, and do nothing.....waiting is sometimes all that can be done.  

Bless you, dear!  xxx 

• Posted

with all that excerise and walking the dog you should have a strong heart lol Sounds like you have lots of enegery which is ALL good! I need to get some of that enegery lol
    • Posted

Good advice Lynda , where was you on my crazy days lol 
    • Posted

Hi, there!  I know what it's like to go crazy.  lol!  That's what I have to do, go look in a mirror and tell myself to stop.  I did that a lot this year from April onward, especially after I got diagnosed.  Sometimes, at night I would need to sit up in bed and call out "STOP!" to myself.   

I couldn't let go of why? of how?  What did I do/not do to cause this?  What's going to happen to me? It was soo hard to do nothing!  

• Posted

I took a nerve pill. I hope it works.
    • Posted

I tried to accept that I was scared to death!  And that even cleaning or walking or reading more about what I had didn't help.  The only thing that did, was reading--anything that wasn't about cancer...that would take me out of myself for a few minutes.  

Then, a little voice in my head would say, "But you still have it."  

I'd try to get through the next few minutes without going to pieces. Sometimes, it's all you can dol

• Posted

I'm trying. Been reading up on ovarian cancer and I have ALL the symptoms.

• Posted

Anyone know anything about ovarian cancer ?
    • Posted

I do but I dont like posting it because the C puts a fear so strong on us thats why I dont google ANYTHING  medical anymore. You can read all about it on internet :-(  BUT I advise not too and start thinking postive and quit feeding the negative or it will totally control you! FEAR has torment try to focus on postive things to get you through until your appointemnt :-) 
    • Posted

Becky, sorry that was meant for Glyn
    • Posted

I am trying to keep it together. I am just reading thru the positive posts. It's all I can do. I have to wait til wed and beyond. And deal with it.

• Posted

Are you still thinking the worst? Stop or you will drive yourself nuts.
    • Posted

Never should have done that. I'm believing I have all the symptoms now. My anxiety is thru the roof. I believe stress can do that to a person. I want my doctor to take me seriously on Wednesday. I better bring that mirror out now and tell myself to STOP.

• Posted

Is your anxiety something you deal with regularly or just now because of this? If it's how you are usually, you need to tell the doctor. Nothing at all wrong with getting some help with anti anxiety meds. For what it's worth, I don't think you have ovarian cancer. I do think many of your symptoms are anxiety related.

• Posted

Have you gone for PAP's regularly?

• Posted

Have you even seen that some symptoms could be other things? Try to stay positive. My neighbor had cancer twice, two different organs and because of her faith, and positive attitude, she kicked them both so stay positive of the unkn. Our bodies are complex, and docs can't even figure them out, so please give yourself a break. There is enough in life to worry about. I mean cancer is one, but don't jump the gun. Prayers 💕

• Posted

I eat sweets, ice cream nightly and went back to smoking in 2014 after losing my dog in a park at dusk for over an hour and my cholesterol is amazing?? My blood pressure is always normal and is the rest of my blood work. However, I have a UTI, but nothing an antibiotic can't fix

• Posted

HI, Glynnie,

You are a very strong woman!  Remember that! We're all here for you! xxx

• Posted

Hi, Lana,

Thanks for asking!  I'm starting the 4th day of the pills, and felt a little more dizzy and a bit more nauseated after breakfast.  Pharmacist says it will take about 2 weeks for the side effects that are going to subside to do that.

Yesterday, one of my small incisions started to bleed again a bit (there's a stitch stuck that's not dissolving) and I had pains off and on in my abdomen.  So, got scared again. Too often, I think that it's a harbinger of more trouble.  Trying to get out of that mind set that it's another catastrophe waiting to happen.  

And yet, that's one of the reasons, I stay engaged on this site.  There are so many people who have more troubles than I.  It helps me to keep my perspective.

Aren't you sorry you asked how I was doing?  smile

• Posted

Not at all sorry to have asked. Actually you have been on my mind a lot. What are these pills? Do you have support from family or friends? Please know that I am thinking of you and hoping and praying for a return for you to complete health.pkwase write whenever you need or want.xx
    • Posted

Thanks so much!  The pills I am taking are called anastrozole.  They are aromitase inhibitors.  They block the estrogen receptors in the body.

My cancer was staged at 1a, confined to my uterus and lymph nodes were clear. But when analysing the cells in my pelvic wash the serologist said that some of the cells were suspicious.  Not cancerous.  The surgeon/oncologist said something could have been dislodged during sugery.   

He offered the medication to me--he said he couldn't be sure that I even needed it.  He said I'd be on it for the next couple of years while I was being monitored. I promised my daughter I'd do all I could to prevent a reoccurrence.  The side effects are due to the drug and its action on the body.  Problems with bone loss, some stuff that can be ameliorated by taking other medication, such as for nausea and diarreha.

My husband, family and friends are very supportive.  But they haven't gone through what every one on this site has and is going through.  In a way, like warriors fighting the same battle. Sometimes, it's easier to confess your anxieties and fears to fellow soldiers.  

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kindness!xx   

• Posted

I hear you. First it is great to be surrounded by loving family, of course, but I get that a mom wants to protect her kids regardless of age. Thank G-d it was caught early. Sounds like a lovely dr. Wishing you a full and easy recovery. . I'd you ever need to talk, please do hugs from afar and strength to you as well.

• Posted

Glynnie,  

Try to be as calm as you can when you see your dotor.  You will need to remember what happens, especially the answers to your questions.

I am holding the prayer that only good will come to you!xxx

• Posted

Please hold on till tomorrow, then you will be able to work with your doctor to find out what's going on with you! Once you start to find out you might feel better!

Let us know how it goes xxx

• Posted

Well I am going to bed now and will keep everyone posted tomorrow. I promise. Nervous
    • Posted

Today's the day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.