Post Menopausal Brown Discharge

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 2+ years post menopausal and have had some slight brown discharge/staining and a little bit of cramping. U/A showed my uterus too thick at 9mm with increased vascularity and heterogeneity. Gyno has immediately referred me to Gyn Oncologist - I have a consultation in a few days then likely a D&C. I'm terrified. Any others with the same experience?

4 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Next
  • Posted

calm down and take some deep breaths - be thankful your gyn is right on this - worry isn't going to make it go away - his interest is to make your body healthy - count your blessings he has sent you to a gyn oncologist 

• Posted

My lining was 9mm and I was post meno I had all test and biopsies I thank the Lord all was fine. Why didn't your Gyno order biopsy first? I'm not sure what vascularity and heterogeneity is. Before this results how long had it been since your last exam like pap and such do you go yearly. Lots of us women have had the thickness of the uterus , many thicker than 9mm try to stay positive we all know the fear that tries to grip us but try to keep your mind busy and on other things while you wait I know easier said than done ? Meno by itself keeps our anxieties sky high stay positive and don't google rember google is NOT  a doctor we are all here for you post as often day or night we will get right back to you we are ALL in this together 🤗 hugs

• Posted

I had a pap in April that came back normal. Gyno said she likes to refer post menopausal directly to Gyn Onc because of the risks. She did say that she was taught in medical school that if you're going to get cancer, uterine is the one to get because it can have a hard time spreading outside of the uterine muscle. Thanks do much for your advicesmile

• Posted

Hi Krayne, yes, lots of ladies here have had the same. I had a biopsy under GA about two years ago, very quick easy procedure, rapid recovery, was back at work the next day. All was normal. Had a second episode not so long ago, almost like a period that didnt happen. Agreed with GP just to keep an eye on it. Please try not to worry. I know thats easy to say. I was told my thickened uterus was normal for my stage of menopause. The spotting of blood was like a period. I think we go through so many changes, we almost lose control and our bodies dont behave or respond as before. Its like little surges of hormones causing the body to do funny things. The day I was in hospital, there were 6 of us having the same thing. One lady had had a sudden onset of very heavy bleeding, and I dont think the news was good. The rest of us went on our merry way thinking how lucky we were. Hope you can have it done soon and be a peace. Take care. Xx
  • Posted

Yes, I also had the brown discharge 15 years after menopause with a little cramping.  Any time you have it after menopause they need to find out what's going on. The "preferred" width of the uterine lining after menopause is 4mm, so they need to investigate. Mine was at 8mm when I first saw my gyno. 

I think that they might do a biopsy, rather than a D&C, to investigate the composition of the cells. (That was the method to treat uterine cancer a while back. They would first do a D&C, have the scrapings, analyzed and remove the uterus subsequently, if cancer was detected.) A biopsy (in my opinion) is much less invasive than a D&C, because if there are cancerous cells in your uterus, the organ will need to be removed.  In the US, it is my understanding that D&C's are not usually performed if cancer is suspected.

I can understand that you are terrified.  I was terrified, too.  But because you've got yourself to a doctor early on the outcome is probably going to be good. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer and had my surgery in July of this year. I was not a candidate for radiation or chemo, and I'm being monitored for two years by my surgeon/oncologist.

In the meantime, feel your feelings and respect your needs for rest and reassurance.  Seek out the comfort of family and friends.  Try to understand that this is an experience that many, many women have gone through and been okay afterwards. 

Please check back in with this site and let us know how you're doing, so that we can support you, too!  xx

• Posted

I hope it helped.  I know that no matter how much support you get, it always helps to know people who have gone through a smiliar experience!

Please do let us know how you get on!

• Posted

I went through a scary time in 2011 when I had treatment on my cervix (laser? ) because of adnormalities. It was a scary time but I came through it and no more problems until now! 

Im getting the brownish thick discharge but only about once a day. 

Went to Drs this morning and being referred to hosp for tests. 

You cant help being a bit concerned as to why this is happening when I finished my menopause about 8yrs ago. But I know im doing the right thing and I've gone to Drs asap. 

Hopefully it will be nothing but if not they can sort me. Never leave things like this smile 

lynda your comment I think was a perfect support. 

• Posted

Re my post above this.

the dark brownish thick discharge stopped 3-4 days ago but I then started getting a lower back ache this has now got worse. Is this connected does anyone know?

ps I have my hospital scan tomorrow. Just wanted your experiences should I mention my back? 

• Posted

I would tell them, for sure.... it cant hurt. What type of scan are you having done?
    • Posted

Hi, Juels--just saw your post and sorry I didn't reply to the one you posted earlier.  Had some problems with my computer and the patient site, which I hope have resoled.  

You are. doing the right thing heading to the doctor, and getting your scan.  By all means mention any pain or other symptoms.  It is very important to get this sorted as soon as you can.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.  Lynda xx

• Posted

Hi

The scan US PELVIS TRANSABDOMINAL. Which turned out to be the type you have when pregnant, jelly on belly and scanned. But then they asked if they could do an internal scan. I don't think they do these for everyone as they had to go and get a form for me to sign giving permission.

I've got an appointment with the consultant tomorrow morning to get results and what ever is next if anything.

• Posted

Hi Lynda

No problem with delayed replies as I'm not good myself. Lol.

I've had scan if you read reply to Tootie. I've said about it on there.

I must admit I'm worried about this as I had C cells of the cervix treated with lazer in 2011. I can't remember if they were pre cancer or C1 I've blocked the info from my mind which is something I tend to do with bad things that have happened I can't control it.

Il let you know what happens tomorrow but I'm thinking positive that's it's just a fyboid or if not then it's treatablesmile

• Posted

Best of luck, stay positive!! PleSe keep us posted 💚

• Posted

H Juels,

I'm glad you're seeing the consultant.  In addition to trying to stay positive, take things one day at a time, if you can.  It has helped me.  Please let us know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda 

Boy what a morning saw consultant results from yesrdays scans only showed thickening of the womb. Decided to take a sample which was easier said than done because I'd had laser treatment I thought 2011 but it wasn't it was 2007 lol 

while trying to get through this bit which wasn't hurting at all ( but then I do take Tramadol for my arthritis) consultant decided I needed a local anaesthetic I thought that would hurt as it was down below but didn't. He had to try several different sizes of the "straw like thing" that's needed to use and then snip sample. I never felt a thing, I expected it to be painful as others have but the anaesthetic worked a wonder lol 

I've just got to wait about 3 weeks for a letter telling me I'm ok or need further appointments. 

Staying positive as we all need to 

thanks for your support I hope I can return it x 

• Posted

Hi Tootie 

To save me re writing, I've replied to Lynda if you want to have a look smile 

I'm so glad to be in UK we don't need health insurance like others do. I dread to think of the costs. My heart goes out to those who have this additional worry x

• Posted

Hi Juels,

Glad to know that you saw the consultant.  Were you told how thick your womb was?  Usually, they'll take a biopsy if it's over 4 mm thick, or if they just want to be on the safe side.  It's good that you didn't experience pain.  My biopsy was painful.  

Please let me know how you get on!  xx

• Posted

Hi

After 4 weeks I finally got a letter which said the sample was insufficient for examination. I'm not surprised at this as the nurse didn't think the consultant had taken a big enough sample at the time but he couldn't do it again.

I have an appointment with the consultant this Monday coming to discuss having a hysteroscopy done.

In the last 4 weeks, the first 2 were ok with no discharge but on 3rd week 1 had 3 lots of discharge (think very dark) on tissue after having a wee, over different days

This past week has been awful I've had bleeding to dark to bleeding again all in one day,

then a day and night of heavy bleeding (had to get up twice in the night)

The next day it was dark a few time until the evening when I then had heavy bleeding with clots.

And last couple of days it's been dark the red then nothing evening and night then red then nothing.

I've also been getting pains in my right side just under ribs now and again.

Crazy body lol

• Posted

Wow, what a roller coaster ride you've been on! Please let me know how it goes! xx

• Posted

Hi I thought I'd update on where I'm at I had my hysteroscopy and another biopsy taken Tuesday (28th nov) under general anasetic, the results are still unsure why I keep bleeding 10yrs post menopause. All they could detect was a lumpy bumpy uterus. The day and day after the operation I had light bleeding which was expected after my procedure but have since Wednesday been the same as last time. I'm now awaiting a date for an MRI scan of ovaries, fallopian tubes etc

I was hoping all my problems would have turned out to be polyps and they would have been removed Tuesday while under the general anasetic. As it wasn't these I must admit I'm getting very scared but don't want to let on to my family until I know.

So in the meantime I hope you don't mind me off loading on here x

• Posted

Hi I was reading your updates as I too have your sympms, you seem to have gone quiet and I was wondering how things turned out as I am worried and don't know what to do.

• Posted

Hi Jules

I’ve been going through something very similar. I’m also 10 years post menopausal. 

Very worried about results that I’m waiting on. 

How did things go for you with the  hysteroscopy?  I hope it all turned out well for you. 

• Posted

Hi Christina

I think you have Jules and Juels (me ) muddled up easy done as both are another name for Julie.

I havent had a hysterctomy but have had the bleeding and dark discharge. Ive had MRI which showed i didnt have a thickening of my womb but have bleeding outside my.womb (forgot what its called ...endro????)

Ive been given tablets to take for 3 months.

I know how worried you must be as i was too but kept it hidden from my family although i did tell a couple of friends.

Knowing i was being seen by the hospital doctors helped me as i know should anything have shown i was in the best place for medical support. Good luck with yours please let me know how things go with you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.