Post Menopausal Brown Discharge

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 2+ years post menopausal and have had some slight brown discharge/staining and a little bit of cramping. U/A showed my uterus too thick at 9mm with increased vascularity and heterogeneity. Gyno has immediately referred me to Gyn Oncologist - I have a consultation in a few days then likely a D&C. I'm terrified. Any others with the same experience?

4 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hiya, my lining was 11mm and I had a sort of period post-menopause - I was absolutely fine. Had hysteroscopy and biopsy which came back as normal. An oestrogen surge that my gyno oncologist put down to stress. Obviously I don't know what's causing yours but it is statistically likely to be nothing serious. So try not to worry and try not to Google - unless it's this site ;o)

• Posted

Thanks Jane. And boy are you right about Dr. Google. Worst ever😃

• Posted

Hi Krayne

I have beven having crazy perimenopasal symptoms.

I had an ablation done due to constant bleeding a couple years ago. It didn't stop my periods but I'm not bleeding constantly. I too have Brown discharge at times with a foul oder. I was a lost told my uterual lining is thick, which a biopsy done. I constantly worry hoping they haven't missed anything. I'm seriously considering a hysterectomy.

Sending Positive Vibes Ur way.

• Posted

Thanks so much everyone. So good to talk to others that have e been in the same boat.
  • Posted

I had a period in Sept after none for a year. Had biopsy and us, all cam back fine. Now, as if right now, I just got a period again. I felt the symptoms and it came. I'm so upset. Did this happen to anyone? Will I have to go through a biopsy again??

• Posted

Hi, i had the same thing happen twice....both times I had an endometrial biopsy in the dr office... both times was negative. Good luck! smile

• Posted

I ended up having to have a general anesthesia and hysteroscopy at the hospital. All was fine. Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi, I recently had sharp pains in the uterus area that didn't last long.  The following day I had brown discharge.  I have not had a period in like 6 years, and definately in Menopause!!  I had an oblation performed aobut 12 years ago due to spotting in peri menoupause.  The spotting stopped, and I continued having periods for 6 years. The menopause symptoms have consisted of night sweats with no hot flashes.  Emotional times with anxiety like I've never experienced before?  I just called an have Appt with OBGYN next Thursday for biopsy.  I'm glad I called right away but scared something is wrong.  Have never had discharge before.  I ran across this site and it helped reading all your messages of hope & encouragement.  Thank you

• Posted

Thank you.  I hope so too.  If not, it's not the end of the World.  One day at a time, right smile

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

You did exactly what you needed to do!  Best of luck to you, and pleease let us know how you get on...xx

• Posted

Thank you Lynda for your kind words & support.  I will keep you all posted.  I go next Thursday.

• Posted

You're so welcome!  If they stall at doing a biopsy, insist!  I don't know your relationship with your doctor, but some doctors seem reluctant to do a biopsy.  They tend to think things like, "well, she's too young, etc."  It sounds though like your relationship is a good one.

Keep pressing till you get the answers you need! xx

• Posted

When I spoke to the OBGYN Asst ystday she said they would do a biopsy & told me to take ibuprofin before appt.  I'm 54 , so maybe that's why?  They also want urine sample which I'm doing today.  

Thank you xxxx

• Posted

You're welcome!  Please keep me updated! Just wondering where you're located. I'm in the USA myself. xx

• Posted

Praying for you. We are here for you. Ladies we are in this together. I am very grateful for this site and the ladies here. Supportting one another. Thanks to each.
    • Posted

I Will for sure keep you posted.  I'm in the USA, Oregon actually.

• Posted

Thank you Melinda:

Yes, this is so great having a blog where we are all in this together.

• Posted

I'm in New Mexico.  In the interim, please try to take it as easy as you can.  You've done the right thing and most of these problems can be fixed by catching them before they get worse! xx

• Posted

Thx Lynda, you sound like a truly sweet person as do all the others on this site. My husband & I took a road trip couple yrs ago & we loved Old Town New Mexico. We went to 14 states & that was our favorite.

So did you have similar symptoms as me. I had sharp pains twice that didn't last long and then the brown discharge the next day. ???

• Posted

Well, I believe my first symptoms began much earlier than I initially thought.  I went on a diet in May, 2015, and the weight loss seemed effortless.  My goal weight was 140 and I went down to 133 by August. I made the decision to retire, and I retired on December 31, 2015.  I felt all right, but I began to be very, very tired all the time.  Exhausted January through March, 2016.  I take medication and finally got the amounts adjusted and thought I should feel better.  I didn't.  By April, I was still feeling poorly and not understanding why.  

Then, on April 14, I got up to go to the bathroom, and I had spotted, brown spots.  I began to have some cramping, like menstrual cramps.  Never spotted a lot.  Wasn't in pain.

I went to see my MD (took me 3 weeks to get an appointment) got a pelvic and she ordered an ultrasound.  But I was anxious.  I felt I needed an ob/gyn. Took a week to get a referral from my MD.  Finally got an ob/gyn and had an appointment 3 weeks later.  

He did blood tests to check for ovarian cancer markers. Had an ultrasound done the same day and my uterine wall was at 8mm, twice as thick as it should be in menopause.  By then, I was frantic and as I have gastric problems, I couldn't leave the house to get a biopsy.  The ob/gyn gave me a prescription for Xanax and I took 3 immodiums to be able to go get the biopsy done in the office.

I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer on Friday, saw the oncologist/surgeon the next Thursday--then prepped on Sunday and had my surgery on Monday.   

Sorry if this is too much information.  But I hope it helps!  

• Posted

No, not to much info.  Was your surgery recent.  How are you doing now?  I hope they also do a Pelvic ultrasound of cervix, uterus, and ovaries.  They prescibed Xanax to me when I lost my mom 15 yrs ago.  It really helped through that tough time.  Keep in touch.

xoxo

• Posted

Hi Sharon.  I had my surgery in July 2016--I am just starting to get some stamina, but I'm 68. It's been a long haul, but I'm doing okay.  I learned a while ago not to have too many expectations of immediate recovery!  smile

Keep in touch, too! xoxoxo

• Posted

I often think of how you are doing. Hope all is well with you
    • Posted

Hi, Lana!

Good to hear from you. I'm starting to get UTI's, unfortunately.  And, I don't have the classic symptoms.  I just feel very unwell.  I'm not doing as poorly as other folks, though.

I got one in December, but didn't realize that I had one till a month later.  Got treatment.  Then, another one in May. Both times different bacteria.  Doing the cranberry capsules and 64 ounces of water, daily.

Can be difficult to maintain a positive outlook at times...smile   

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. Dr is not concerned? Many good wishes

• Posted

Well, I'm not getting them again as soon as I go off the antibiotics, as other women do.  Some women get them monthly. So, not doing awfully bad.  Just another thing to deal with.

My best wishes to you, too!

• Posted

Hi, sorry to jump in like this smile I googled brown spotting with cramps and got this discussion.  I am 57 and have been on HRT for a year. Yesterday I had bad cramps and thought 'it feels like I am having a period'. This morning I have just a slight bit of brown vaginal discharge. I had my annual pap in July & it was negative. I had a very bad stomach virus the past 4 days. Not sure what to do because I was laid off July 31st so I don't have insurance. Can I wait this out a few days? (I am freaking myself out with too many bad thoughts about this) Thanks to all who respond. Hope you are having a good day.

• Posted

Hi, i never  had the cramping, I had a little brown discharge, but I also had a lot of thick clear or yellow-ish discharge for up to a week or two before the brown started. This happened twice both times I had an endometrial biopsy, both were negative. 

It might be worth checking out with your doctor, do you think you're going to have insurance soon? If so perhaps it can wait until then. Good luck and try not to worry 

• Posted

Hey Tootie, thanks for replying. My thoughts are since I am getting over a bad stomach virus, that maybe my HRT (hormone meds) did not stay in my system when I was sick (nothing did EW!). Have no idea about when I will get a new job that hopefully has good insurance. I called my GYN, spoke to the nurse who said SOP (stand op proceed) is if you have not had any blood in over 13 months, you need a biopsy. So I am going to wait out this weekend and if its not better, go in next week & charge it on the ol' credit card. My cramping is worse than the discharge.

• Posted

Your post gave me a lot of info as I am freaking out about my spotting and cramping. Did your gastric problems begin when your spotting started or was it an ongoing issue before hand? I just got over a stomach virus and now this started.
    • Posted

Hi. Standard procedure yes. You should go in and not delay as after the biopsy, you have to wait for results and the sooner you get it all over with the better. Otherwise you will constantly worry about it. Best wishes.
    • Posted

My gastric problems are a result of bile salt malabsorption (My body's unable to absorb the bile it creates.) I'm on medication for it, but in times of stress the symptoms get worse.

Please try not to freak out, Cherre.  Just do what you have to do to keep yourself healthy. xx

• Posted

Had a biopsy today - hurt like !$&%#@!!! Should find out something by Friday. neutral

• Posted

Had a biopsy today - hurt like !$&%#@!!! Should find out something by Friday. neutral

• Posted

Awww, i know it hurts sad

Did you have someone with you 

Its tough waiting, try to keep busy. 💜

• Posted

• Posted

Yes, they're tough to endure, no doubt about it.  But you got through it and it will give you and your doctor the information that you need.  I know it's so difficult to wait, but you can't move forward without it.  

It may be small comfort, but I try to think of all the women, then and now, who suffered without any medical care.  

I hope you have someone close to you that you can confide in.  Best of luck to you, and let us know how things go for you. xx

• Posted

Cherre ~

First, sorry for the long wait for my response.  My OBGYN had family emergency and my ultrasound/biopsy got moved back.  Don't worry, and I understand about the Insurance.  This small amt of brown / blood discharge was just that one day when I 1st wrote on here.  Luckily the utrasound was normal, pap normal, & biopsy was normal.  I will say the biopsy was extremely painful for me.  Not sure if this happens to all women, or just some, but felt like I was being tazed.  HURT!!!!!  Just a heads up as had I known this I would have taken meds first.  I was really worried at 1st as well, and nice people here told me to wait for ultrasound & biopsy.  

Hope all well with you,

xoxo

• Posted

Just saw this Cherre, after sending you message about my Biopsy.  Yes, HURT like a MFer.  Excuse the language but WOW.  I told my husband it was like being Tazed for a long time.

Crossing fingers for you this Friday.

xoxo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.