Post Menopausal Brown Discharge

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hello everyone. I am 2+ years post menopausal and have had some slight brown discharge/staining and a little bit of cramping. U/A showed my uterus too thick at 9mm with increased vascularity and heterogeneity. Gyno has immediately referred me to Gyn Oncologist - I have a consultation in a few days then likely a D&C. I'm terrified. Any others with the same experience?

4 likes, 92 replies

92 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, hope it's OK for me to hop in on this discussion. I'm 48, and been experiencing peri-menopausal symptoms for over a year. The hot flashes and night sweats have all but stopped. I haven't had a period in 7 months. Today, I started spotting at work, but it's strange, it's like it's very old blood. Dark brown clots are coming out. Not alot, but some. For the last two years, I take blood-thinner every day (Clopidigril) - not sure if that is pertinent info or not.

Is this normal?

• Posted

If I was you I'd go to the GP get it checked.  

It could be nothing, but it's so worth it getting checked if only for peace of mind. 

Ive just had a bit like you, the very dark clots which lasted about 2 weeks and was only about once a day. I'm post menopause I'm 57 yrs young lol. So GP revered me to hospital for check up/tests. 

Im waiting results but I know I've gone as soon as possible. 

Please keep us updated. I've found the support on here really good. 

So drs appointment then lets us know how it went xx

• Posted

I'm a 52-year-old woman that has been over menopause since the age of 38 I had one day of very very light brown spotting had an ultrasound showing 6MM thickness  I am scheduled to have a D and C on November 7 everything I have read so far points to cancer I am petrified 

• Posted

Hi Jonna,

If you don't mind, I'm going to jump in. Most times, things can be sorted quickly if they're caught soon enough.  You did exactly the right thing by going to your doctor.  Please try to take it one day at a time, if you can.  

Best of luck to you, and please let me know how you get on. xx 

• Posted

Thank you I appreciate that I'm just so frightened right now  my D&C still isn't for another week.

• Posted

It's entirely appropriate to be frightened.  Well-intentioned people may tell you it doesn't make sense.  But, people who have faced something like this won't.  You're in my thoughts and prayers. xx

• Posted

You were so kind to me I just wanted to let you know that I had all the procedures done and everything came back benign however I'm still going to have a total hysterectomy in the very near future 

• Posted

Hi Jonna!  I'm in the US, so sometimes it takes a while for posts to get to me.  I am so glad that it all came back benign.  I think that your decision to have a hysterectomy is wise.  Taking it out before you have any trouble is what I wish I would have done.  

Unfortunately, in the US, they've told women over a certain age that pap smears are no longer necessary.  So I hadn't had one in about 5 years before I went to my gp for spotting in 2016. (Not to say that it would have been caught with a pap, because my pap came back clear.) At any rate, I'm now on chemo for uterine cancer and am to have surgery in a couple of months....

Best of luck to you and please keep in touch! xx 

• Posted

hi Lynda yes I'm in the US as well and I hate the fact that they won't do a Pap smear every year I am so sorry this happened to you bless you I wish you the best during your recovery 

• Posted

Thank you, Jonna!  Please keep in touch and let me know how you do! xx
    • Posted

Lynda, I am so sorry you are going through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted. We are here for you.
    • Posted

Thank you, Melinda,

I appreciate it so much! When I was diagnosed with uterine cancer I had a hysterectomy last year. I had a DaVinci robotic procedure. Though I was staged at 1a, I was warned that sometimes the microscopic cancer cells migrate to the openings in the tissue created by the small incisions. That's what happened to me.  

Fortunately, a year later, I found a tumor myself. I'll have 6 chemos (2 more to go) recover and have surgery, then radiation. I think the plan is a good one, and am doing pretty well.  

Take care!

• Posted

Lynda, I started spotting and having brown discharge last month. This Tuesday I see my gyn to start a few tests. I have had several utis since July. I am on HRT. Not only that, but three of my brothers have had cancer and my dad did too. I am very nervous. I have not told anybody except my husband and best friend. My daughter is taking finals to be a nurse practioner. You know how it is. I am so sorry I am spilling my guts. God bless you!
    • Posted

Hi, Melinda,

I am glad that you're seeing your gyn.  Please let me know how it goes for you.  You're not spilling your guts.  Before I was diagnosed, I was terrified.  I was glad to finally know what was going on, because my oncologist developed a treatment plan right away.  Are you in the US?  I hope so.  That means your tests and test results will be fast.  

Please let me know how it goes for you...you'll be in my prayers. xx

• Posted

Yes, I am in the United States. Thank you very much. We all have to be strong for each other and be here for one another.
    • Posted

Hi Melinda- I am wondering how everything turned out for you. I’m having same symptoms- brown mucus like discharge then cramping afterwards. I haven’t had another brown discharge since that one. This happened to me years ago.... when menopause first started. I’m post menopause for over 4 years now. I had a full physical. Blood tests, and ultrasound about 4 months ago.... they found nothing then. My mom had uterine cancer.... so I’m worried.
    • Posted

Hi

I’ve just been through something similar. I’ve been post menopausal for 16 years and in March this year started with brown discharge and the a full on period just once. I had tests done and a transvaginal ultrasound that found a few polyps which they believe was causing the issue. In July I had a hysteroscopy and polypectomy which they sent off for testing and they inserted a Mirena IUD which is supposed to assist in reducing further polyps from occurring. All has come back okay, but the whole process is very stressful and worrying. I know it’s hard not to think it’s the worst, which is exactly what I did, but go to your GP, see an obstetrician. I wish you all the best and I know it’s hard but try and stay positive. 

• Posted

16 years post meno may I ask your age and what age was you considered meno?
    • Posted

Hi 

I have Addison’s disease which brought menopause on early for me. I was 34 when I started menopause. I am turning 50 later this year. 

• Posted

Hi Julz, It's probably just a hormone surge if you have had all these checks and nothing showing. What did the docs say? I too have had this problem since March but also terrible mood swings. 

Presumably you have advised them about your Mum and they will be aware of this and have checked this out. 

I know it's a worry, go back your docs if you are worrying and tell them, they should be able to put your mind at rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.