post menopausal complex ovarian cyst

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello Everyone, I'm Peggy from Ohio, I'm 53, never had children, started menopause at 38, always had awful menstrual cycles, but in november during my annual, the ob was feeling around, and felt something on the right ovary, and after speaking with me, and finding out, that i had lost about 10 pounds in the past month, felt sick after eating just a few bites, was peeing like every 30 minutes, and had really bad low backpain, plus i have a cousin and an aunt who have breast and colon cancer, she ordered a vaginal ultrasound that revealed a 1.7 cm complex cyst on my right ovary, and with the symptoms and the the family history and the fact that the cyst had a solid component to it, she sent me to a gyn/oncologist, and he requested a cat scan, and in the week between the  ultrasound and the cat scan, i developed another cyst, this one on the left.but the 1st thing the oncologist said was "i don't even know why she sent you here, it's not even that big, then he asked if i was dieting and that's why i lost the weight", he said he knew my ob and knew how she ran her office, and it ticked me off, he scheduled another ultrasound for 8 weeks (this thurs) but said "if it bothers you that much, you can have her take your ovaries out"   I really don't want to go back to him ever.  since i've been there, i've starting having lots of pressure down low, and peeing even more than i was before. , and twinges of sharp pain along with some dull aches,and it's freaking me out.

All i'm reading is that ovarian cysts are more likely cancerous in post menopausal women, now she did a ca-125 blood test, and mine came back at 7, but she said alot of times in the early stages that the ca-125 won't be elevated, so it's not reliable.

I believe on thursday, if the cysts are still there, she is going to do a laparroscopy and take the ovary/ovaries out, especially if the one on the right has grown at all.

Any advice at all, or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Peggy

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Peggy. If you've been offered the chance for removal, just go for it. No use to you now anyway and if you have the problem in your family you're better off without them. Did you get checked for the BRCA gene? This is the one which can cause ovarian, stomach, pancreas cancer and does run in some families. I'm getting checked this week as cysts were found on my ovaries too plus similar symptoms to yours. If they find that the cysts are or may be cancerous I will definitely have mine removed as a precaution before they can get bigger. Above 35 is the number they look for with CA 125 test. Mine was low apparently but not been told the figure yet. Be brave, better out than in in my view! rolleyes Don't like the sound of your gyn/onc! Needs to learn some bedside manners! lol twisted  Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for responding. The oncologist said I didn't need the brca test, just another reason i didn't care for him. I think he's used to seeing women who are already stage 4, maybe he doesn't know how to interact with someone in the possible early stages, but he had better figure it out. I was in so much pain today I had to take pain pills, I can't wait for Thurs to get here and get it over with
    • Posted

Best of luck. My 1st appt's Wednesday, not oncology though so far. Just to see if they think the cysts are simple ones hopefully and look at possible prolapse...... However I'm seventy two so we'll see! confused
    • Posted

So, what happened with your appt on Wednesday? i've been waiting to see if you posted anything?  Hope everything went ok.
    • Posted

Hi. I had my appointment but not much further on yet. I am to be monitored to see if cyst grows, another scan in a few weeks time. I do have a prolapse, anterior/bladder. The doctor said that they will make a plan for me as I'm 72 and they don't like doing too many operations on older women as the tissues are stretched and weak anyway. They may be able to put a sling in to lift it. They won't be able to do both ops at the same apparently, they two completley different problems. I saw the registrar as it was really busy following a strike by junior doctors in the UK the previous day. I'm having more abdominal pain than ever now, wondering if she burst the cyst during examination as it really hurt when she pressed down from inside and out! Backache worse too and feel so bloated I could be pregnant! (at 72) woweee! twisted If I still feel bad next week I shall go to see my GP again and ask if I can be seen privately. Waiting lists here are bad and I believe cysts and prolapse at my age would not be considered urgent but my quality of life is nil lately. Pressure pain in low back and abdomen is so bad, plus I have osteo arthritis in my spine and other joints so mobility is very limited. All my ailments and treatment must be costing the NHS a small fortune so it would be cheaper if I asked for euthanasia I think!!! frown Feeling somewhat depressed as you've probably guessed. Anyway, rant over, I'll see what next week brings!

Off to bed now, again! Night night. X

• Posted

We could be in the same club. In August I had both ovaries tubes removed and a d &c dine due to my uterine lining being to thick for a 51 year old. I too was diagnosed with a 7.5 cyst. Since having it laparoscopically removed I feel so much better. I was peeing constantly, had pain in my lower pelvis and just general creepy feeling and bloating. All of my symptoms are gone although I now have hot flashes instead. My ob did not do HRT because I was already in menopause so I just deal with the hot flashes which could be because of meds good luck to you
    • Posted

Hello. ?I seen your post and thought it

sounded like my experience. I found out by a ct scan 9

months ago when the dr was checking for

kidney stonea ( which I have) that I also have a 7 cm complex cyst on my right ovary. My first visit to my obgyn she did a ultrasound and checke my ct scan. She said it didnt look like ovarian cancer but she couldnttell me for sure. I hadnt had any symptoms. She then did a ca125 test which came back at 14. She then toll me she

was almost positive it waant cancer and she

wanted to just watch it. I went back in 3 months had another ultrasound and another ca125. It

came back at an 11. It hadnt grown any. I went back in 3 months or another ultrasound. ?.it

hadnt grow. My ca125 this time was a 9...she

has scheuled surgery for friday and im still

petrified its cancer...she thinks its a cystadema.....I pray shes right

• Posted

I'm not sure if your reply was to me or Sherri, but...my ca125 was 7, she said its almost never elevated in the beginning stages of cancer, that's why she's not giving any weight to that. She's going with my symptoms, the pain, the peeing, pressure, lower back pain, weight loss, and family history . she pretty much left it up to me, and I said, get them out . I'm still concerned it could be cancer as well, but it's in Gods hands and in the hands of my wonderful ob/gyn
    • Posted

They told me the same thing you were told. I have had three other belly button surgeries so she said scar tissue may be a problem, it was. It a problem and the surgery went quickly and recovery was very easy. One month after and I could not even tell I had any surgery. I was bloated for about three weeks. Good luck to you on your surgery!
    • Posted

I had my surgery and everything went well.. Ended up being a 9 cm mass that was all benign. They removed cyst and ovary through lapascopic surgery. Just pray now I have a speedy recovery!
    • Posted

I'm so happy for you. That's great news,,,do u know how long you'll be out? My work is already pressuring me to come back after a week, but I told them I wouldn't push myself if I wasn't ready. How long was your surgery? Did you have to wait a few wks to get the pathology report?
    • Posted

My surgery took about an hour and a half. I haven't got the pathology back yet...all I know is they froze it and examined it while I was in surgery and said it was benign..mi really haven't hurt that bad at all...only have taken ibuprofen for pain..
    • Posted

My Dr is saying it will take 2-3 wks to get pathology report. Depending on what it says, I may have to go back in and have complete hysterectomy and removal of lymph nodes, not understanding why it can't be done while I'm on the operating table. Did the Dr give you a "return to work" date? Are you having any of the shoulder pain from having your stomach filled with that gas?
    • Posted

I've had some gas and my belly is bloated...but its nothing like the two c sections I have had..in my opinion..I went to church this morning and Dr said no lifting for 2/weeks...or driving

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.