post menopausal complex ovarian cyst

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello Everyone, I'm Peggy from Ohio, I'm 53, never had children, started menopause at 38, always had awful menstrual cycles, but in november during my annual, the ob was feeling around, and felt something on the right ovary, and after speaking with me, and finding out, that i had lost about 10 pounds in the past month, felt sick after eating just a few bites, was peeing like every 30 minutes, and had really bad low backpain, plus i have a cousin and an aunt who have breast and colon cancer, she ordered a vaginal ultrasound that revealed a 1.7 cm complex cyst on my right ovary, and with the symptoms and the the family history and the fact that the cyst had a solid component to it, she sent me to a gyn/oncologist, and he requested a cat scan, and in the week between the  ultrasound and the cat scan, i developed another cyst, this one on the left.but the 1st thing the oncologist said was "i don't even know why she sent you here, it's not even that big, then he asked if i was dieting and that's why i lost the weight", he said he knew my ob and knew how she ran her office, and it ticked me off, he scheduled another ultrasound for 8 weeks (this thurs) but said "if it bothers you that much, you can have her take your ovaries out"   I really don't want to go back to him ever.  since i've been there, i've starting having lots of pressure down low, and peeing even more than i was before. , and twinges of sharp pain along with some dull aches,and it's freaking me out.

All i'm reading is that ovarian cysts are more likely cancerous in post menopausal women, now she did a ca-125 blood test, and mine came back at 7, but she said alot of times in the early stages that the ca-125 won't be elevated, so it's not reliable.

I believe on thursday, if the cysts are still there, she is going to do a laparroscopy and take the ovary/ovaries out, especially if the one on the right has grown at all.

Any advice at all, or thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Peggy

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, had my ultrasound again today, the simple cyst on the left is gone, but the complex one on the right is still there, and has grown a little, she said she is not alarmed, but she is concerned, because of what she can see the cyst consists of. We are doing the laparoscopy/oophrectomy (sp) on Feb 17th, since i've had the belly button surgery before, she said there would be a risk of having a lot of scar tissue, and if she runs into that, or there's a lot of bleeding, they might have to make a bigger incision, which would turn it from an outpatient to a short hospital stay.  The only thing i'm having a problem with, is, she said once she removes the ovaries, they go to pathology, and it takes a few weeks to get the results, and if it is cancerous, they have to open me back up, do the complete hysterectomy, also taking out some lymph nodes and such. Now with technology the way it is, why cant pathology do what they need to do while they have me opened up? that makes NO sense to me at all. She also said, sometimes once they can clearly see the ovary, if they can tell its cancerous, they will have an onocologist on standby to do the hysterectomy.

I'm not worried, i doubt its cancerous, but i'm in pain 24/7, at this point, i just want them out, i'm on pain pills around the clock, it's just not worth it.  Only downside is, it's a month out, but i can make it.

• Posted

PS Peggy. Hope all goes well on Feb 17th. Keep us posted.
  • Posted

Hi Peggy

Reading over your posts ... quite a lot you have been going through .

I hit sick with nausea , light headed and occasional diarrhea for about 13 months.

Getting a scope Mar 1 but I had a pelvic ultrasound done Nov 4 and Dec 17 to find out that I have a 6cm cyst on my right ovary. Now being post menopause do you know how they form?

Mine is a simple cyst not cancerous , waiting to see a obgyn. My GP now says it is possible that all my symptoms were not from gastric but the cyst ?

Have you ever felt any of these symptoms or know how your cyst developed in menopause ?

Do you know how or to do to disolve it?

Thanks a bunch

Robin

• Posted

Hi Robin, I only have had one other cyst, but it was many years ago when I was still menstruating, it was a simple cyst, like yours and it dissolved on its own, after about 6 wks. From what I've read, the ovaries can still produce cysts even after menopause, its just not as likely. Mine is complex, has solid components to it, its being removed because of other symptoms and a family history. I def had nausea, a little dizziness, not much, no issues with constipation at all. I wouldn't be surprised if your symptoms were not caused by your cyst. I don't believe you can do anything to dissolve it, but I could be wrong. I would Google " can I do anything to dissolve a simple ovarian cyst" and see what pops up. You might be surprised...good luck to you, keep us posted on your progress
    • Posted

OH thanks for the quick reply.... I have googled and as you know it there are so many conflicting answers.

My GP says in post M women you can't shrink a cyst, but I am going to proove my doc that the mind can do wonders...lol

He laughs at me and thinks I am woo woo !

i have spoken to nstural paths they say you can and I have read up on new age medicine on my age and cysts. 

They say things like :epson baths , castor oil packs,acupuncture certain herbs and foods not to eat. Meditate over the cyst and talk to it !

I read too much soya products ,  dairy and eggs can create cysts due to hormonal estrogen in these foods. I have been a vegetarian for 30 years and actually overloaded my system with soya to help with menopause symptoms. Catch 22 sort of speak. I ate egg whites and lots of dairy.

Makes sense to me interested in what the obgyn will say smile 

i have went Vegan now no eggs or dairy for the last 12 months oh yes I dropped soya foods and get my protein and calcium from other foods or almond milk.

Did you have nausea all the time ... I am wondering if the worse of my nausea was when the cyst was forming? Did your gynie tell you it was normal to feel nausea and I wonder what is causing the nausea. 

Sorry so many questions .

I will keep you posted smile

Robin

• Posted

Hey Robin,

I am not nauseous all the time, it comes and goes...my ob/gyn gave me no reason for that, i didn't even ask her.

Personally, i'm just looking forward to the surgery, so i can get it done and over with,and stop having pain,,that is my prayer, anyways.

P

• Posted

Hi dannape,

Are you still around? Just curious about your results as my mother is in a similar situation.

• Posted

Hi Neville ,

My Mother just had a CT Scan as her stomach is swollen has lost weight has urgency urinate constipation feeling nauseous and tired .. her Dr told her one of her ovaries is swollen .. puffy .. and there is fluid and seems to think it could be cancer without doing a biopsy ... I am freaking out at the moment .. so I am hoping it might be a large cyst. What are your mothers symptoms and or has she had any tests.  Mum is in her 80's and always been healthy.

Lori

• Posted

Hi Lori,

My mom just had the hysterectomy and oophorectomy and they turned out to be benign fibrothecoma tumors.

The bilateral complex cysts and swollen ovaries were noticed on a regular ultrasound scan. She had some bloating since a long time and frequent urination too and I was equally scared. The CT scan and CA-125 came out normal but the cysts had malignant features on the scan so surgery was a must, but luckily, all is well, despite all the fears some gynos gave us.

Basically, the chances of malignancy in these cysts (which create symptoms too) are 5-10% max, so I suggest you don’t freak out and consult a gynaecologic-oncologist rather than an obgyn and follow their advice. 

• Posted

Hi Neville,

Thank you so much for your reply, so glad to hear your Mom is ok.  How old is she if you don't mind me asking.  I am so sick with worry, Mum has to go Wednesday for results on her blood test so will let you know.

• Posted

She’s 64, and yeah I’ve never felt worse in my life. Don’t stress, just wait for the tests. Let me know. 
  • Posted

Hi I’m 56 have been diagagnosrd with ovarian cyst have symptoms went for ultrasound been told they will follow up in 3 months not looking forward to another 3 months of pain is it normal to leave a cyst for 3 months of monetoring 
    • Posted

Hi

I'm new and live in the U.S. This forum is one of the few that seems to offer help for postmenopausal issues!

I've recently had a small "debris-filled" ovarian cyst on my left ovary resolve after about 2-3 months. I am 48, about a year or so past menopause. My gyn sent me for a TVA because I had some heavy pressure on my vaginal area, mucous discharge (after being pretty much done with discharge) for a month and then after that, some pink discharge for 5 days.

The TVA found the cyst (and a small fibroid). They never told me what kind of cyst it was. I went for a follow up TVA about 3 months later, and the cyst was gone.

Now, 2-3 months later, I have had watery discharge and some twinges on both sides. My right side in the last few days has been bloated. Mild twinges around my hips. I called the nurse and she said that, even in post menopause, women can get multiple cysts or have them return.

I have an appointment with the gyn. I'm really anxious because I thought once the cyst on my left ovary resolved, I would be ok. I am scared that this is turning into something frightening and they missed it on the 2nd sonogram. I can't find any information AT ALL about cysts coming back or occuring in the other ovary after menopause. My gyn and the nurse did tell me that, especially in early post-menopause, it's not uncommon for women to have cysts. Even complex cysts can resolve. I am really confused and scared now. What the hell is going on?? I have been under a lot of stress and worry that I have caused some kind of hormonal surge that went crazy.

I never had trouble when I was younger and menstruating, always regular and nothing too unusual. Any thoughts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.