Post Menopause, irritation/soreness just inside Vaginal opening....

Posted , 18 users are following.

I am 4 yrs post menopause (56 yrs old).   In the past year, I seem to have developed an around just inside the vaginal opening at the bottom on both sides that is sore and feels like it's raw but it's normal looking.   It makes it uncomfortable to even insert yeast medication applicators.   

Is this something others have experienced as well?   

Is it part of Atrophy?

I can't use estrogen (high blood pressure) and wondered what other ideas are out there if this is part of Atrophy.

Thanks all....

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Toobusy,

You are not alone!  I have the exact same symptoms that you described.  I too am post menopausal, and developed this two years ago.  I have gone to many Drs for something to ease the pain, but so far nothing has helped.  I'm not able to tolerate any estrogen. I've tried estriol compounded in different ways.  I still have Premarin to try, but am hesitant because of so many scary reviews.  I'm currently taking gabapentin to help calm down the nerve endings in the vulva area.  Like you, when examined, I look perfectly normal.  I've seen a dermatologist that specializes in vulvar health, but there is nothing new that she has prescribed besides the gabapentin and Premarin.  It is a horrible disease that makes you feel so helpless and greatly changes the dynamics of everyday life.  Besides this, I suffer with frequent urination.  Life is tough living with this condition. 

• Posted

Is your's also just inside the V opening?     

A couple of years ago, I had a compounded topical estradiol cream for a short while (2 months) that was really helping and then the pharmacy went out of business.  I have tried other compounding mail order pharmacies but the ingredients  in their cream bases causes me to burn.  I've become very sensitive to ingredients.

• Posted

Sorry you are suffering. Have you tried Betnovate RD cream for the soreness, my gynaecologist prescribed it for me and it was so, so, soothing. It is a steroid so only for short term use but it does calm everything down.

Urine frequency is all part of atrophy, if you can improve the symptoms of atrophy  the urine frequency will also improve.

Take care and keep in touch.

• Posted

I had Estrace compounded, that was totally intolerable.  From there I went to estriol first compounded with safflower and the with vitamin e, both caused a lot of discomfort.  Dermatologist determined that all topicals to vulvar area were causing great problems with my already sensitive tissues.  So next step is vagifem.  I'm trying it in the next couple of days.  I hoping for  better results. 

• Posted

Maybe they put lidocaine in their base I am allergic to it
  • Posted

I guess you can't edit posts on here so I'll fix that typo in my original message here:

Around = Area

• Posted

I feel so sorry for you both I am post menopause by about 5 years when I got this vaginal atrophy I thought my life was in ruins I did yoga weights zumba then suddenly I could do nothing but sit in a chair with no pants on and that didn't help either. I had no idea what was happening unroll I researched on here. I am now on vagifem and life is normal again. I tried replens that might help you . I hope you get help

• Posted

Try raw cold pressed virgin coconut oil. I apply it externally and internally every time I go to the toilet. I also apply vit e oil (400iu) - take a blob of the coconut oil on the end of your finger, squirt the content of an oral vit e capsule into it and insert. Many women find coconut oil and vit e oil soothing. You can also get vit e pessaries to insert when you go to bed called key e. Yes oil based lube is also good.
  • Posted

Sorry you are suffering. 

It could be atrophy, I know how sore and really uncomfortable it can be. I went to my GP several times with the same symptoms and was prescribed different products to moisturise the vagina (Replens, yes etc) and a wash to use in the bath but nothing helped.  I was referred to a gynaecologist who prescribed Vagifem (I also have high blood pressure and take Ramipril). He also prescribed a steroid cream for the vagina soreness (Betnovate RD).  

Although not happy about using Vagifem, it worked wonders together with the cream (for short term use). I did have abdominal discomfort which I thought was due to the Vagifem but it turns out it was a return of my IBS symptoms, probably because I got stressed out about using Vagifem.

Go and see your practice nurse or doctor to get some advice and treatment. Help is available it is just a matter of finding the right thing for you which can take time.

Dont wash down below with soap etc. My gynaecologist told me only to wash down below with water as soap can be very drying and make matters worse. Also no bubble bath in the bath or washing your hair in the bath.

Take care and please keep in touch.

Lynn

• Posted

lynn, have you ever tried drinking kefir for your IBS? IBS was another menopausal "gift" that I was having to deal with for years. No medicines worked so I was always searching for a cure. Finally hit upon the kefir (thanks to the internet) and it makes an amazing difference. For me anyway. Most supermarkets carry it now.

• Edited

Atrophy it is sorry to say ,I've had it for 12 yrs ,it's a nightmare of a post meno condition for me and many others . 2 different lots of HRT ,but it's still there . What I will say is, be really careful what over the counter treatments you use ,some I've found to my cost will make it way worse . Try and get on a FB site as I've done about this condition ,see what women know , same as this one it's only women who seem to know a lot ,more than drs ,a female Dr is important preferably one in meno age herself best advice on drs in my view . Chances are female drs might be dealing with this and other meno probs . Must add in here after weeks of seeing younger drs in a practise ,it was my last Dr old male one who said It was menopause I was in . Wish Id gone to him first ,he'd seen it all over his career ,he was in his early 60's . The younger drs hadnt a clue that's what it was . Lessons I've learnt over my time in dealing with all meno issues . Eye opener . 

• Posted

Hi Marlene, 

You are correct about feeling comfortable with your Dr. I currently have all female Drs and they really do understand the seriousness of this horrible condition. 

• Posted

Dear Toobusy, 

In my reply to you I mistakenly mentioned a wrong product.  My dr had suggested trying vagifem, not Premarin.  So sorry for this senior moment!  I've read both good and bad, so I'll give it a try. It's my last resort since I've tried all the compounding products.

• Posted

Hello Patricia I have been on astriol for 3 weeks then moved to vagifem for the last 2 weeks. Everything is so much better I feel like me again so happy I hope you feel the same
  • Posted

Dear Toobusy

It could be that it is very dry.  I used to use Vagisil Complete Hydrating Gel but was told I couldn't with Estrace.  It interferes with absorption.  So now I use Yes Lubricant. It works wonders for dry skin.  Or you could try Sliquid.  It's also very good for dryness. If it continues,  see another doctor.  Best wishes. Oh and one other thing that helps me is V Magic.  Its great for the "lips".. only.l  I think I got mine on Amazon.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.