Post menopause - polyp removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been post menopausal for about 5 years now.  After going to GP with watery discharge (clear) and sometimes mixed with blood, I have a large polyp to be removed next week.  My transvaginal scan showed 2 large fibroids and ovaries couldn't be seen.  Don't know what to make of this, anyone else had anything similar? 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have a polyp which needs removing, having it done in a couple of weeks. Polyps can cause post-menopausal bleeding, and are usually nothing to worry too much about, but it is best to have them removed. Fibroids are unpleasant but are not dangerous at all. My sister had a huge one - the size of a grapefruit - and had to have a hysterectomy.  

Its good youre having the polyp removed. Are you having the fibroids removed as well?

• Posted

I'm not sure how big the fibroids are but will hopefully know a bit more when I see my GP on tues.  I'm assuming I wait for the gyn to inform on the next step but to be honest I don't really want them there if they are that big.  I am concerned about the fact that my ovaries couldn't be seen on the scan so wondering if I am going to have a more detailed scan like a CT scan (the one I had last week was a transvaginal scan).   I'm scaring myself stupid reading up on ovarian cancer as I've had a lot of symptoms relating to this for quite a while now, plus my last pelvic scan was 11 years ago when I was pre-menopausal and they found one small simple cyst on one of my ovaries and fibroids but I was told not to worry.   Seems like the fibroids have grown instead of shrinking like they are supposed to in menopause but what's happened to the ovaries?  Why would they not show up on the scan?  All these questions to ask my GP as soon as possible.
    • Posted

Carina,

This may just be a guess, but my first thought is that your ovaries have completely atrophied 5 years past menopause.  Meaning that they have just shriveled up.  They've shrunk, so to speak, and that's why they aren't visable on the scan.  

• Posted

Someone else said that to me so maybe yes, I'm sure I will know more soon and thanks keep me posted on your polyp removal and I will do the same, take care x
    • Posted

Sorry wrong person re polyp removal :-)
    • Posted

Keep me posted on your polyp removal and I will do same :-) 
    • Posted

I will do Carina.  I'm having it removed on the 28th April - theyre trying it with a hysteroscopy to start with, but I know that sometimes they dont work properly, and then you have to have surgery with general anaesthetic.
    • Posted

I'm having mine removed under local anaesthetic via hysteroscopy.
    • Posted

Actually I wasnt told I'd be offered any anaesthetic. The consultant said I could just take a couple of painkillers before the procedure. I do hope its not too uncomfortable. Maybe I should ask about an anaesthetic.
    • Posted

I think that's what it means probably local anaesthetic, just the painkillers (she did say very strong painkillers an hour before procedure) I will check but I think they will provide them.
    • Posted

Had my polyp removed today, glad it's over now have to wait 2 - 3 weeks for biopsy results so waiting game again.  Hope you get on ok with yours. 
    • Posted

By the way do you just have the one polyp like me?
    • Posted

Hi Carina,

yes I have just one polyp. Now its about 10 days till I get it removed. I had almost forgotten about it - other family issues distracting me. Perhaps thats a good thing!

• Posted

I hope that everything turns out well. I just remembered my friend who just recently found out that she also has a polyp on her ovary and it is also scheduled to be removed next month due to her other commitments in her business. Actually she didnt feel any symptoms at all. But she regulary visits her OB and just noticed that her abdomen is getting bigger. Did you also experience that?
    • Posted

I didn't realise you could get a polyp on the ovary!!  I am overweight anyway and have always had a large stomach but not really paid much attention to it until recently so keep looking at it, prodding it and measuring it in the hope it doesn't get bigger. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.