Post menopause - polyp removal

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been post menopausal for about 5 years now.  After going to GP with watery discharge (clear) and sometimes mixed with blood, I have a large polyp to be removed next week.  My transvaginal scan showed 2 large fibroids and ovaries couldn't be seen.  Don't know what to make of this, anyone else had anything similar? 

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Can i ask you ladies who have had polyp removal.  I was told by the Gyn that bleeding can occur up to 2 weeks after removal well i spotted for a week then it stopped and then it has started up again yesterday and today is 2 weeks since removal, is this normal?
    • Posted

I had mine removed yesterday. I have another small one they couldnt remove. I am having a biopsy and getting the results in six weeks. I bled for a few hours and had cramps, but I feel fine now.

I presume you are going back for a review appt?  I think that depending on the size of the polyp and how easy or otherwise it is to remove, the bleeding may last longer.

• Posted

I was told i would get my results within 2 - 3 weeks but i did go and see my GP last week for something else and he already had the details on his computer, thankfully all was fine and benign but i am still waiting to get this all officially in writing.  It did state on the letter that i took away with me on the day of my polyp removal that no follow up appointment has been scheduled so sounds like things are done slightly different at other hospitals.  I think i will visit my GP if it hasn't stopped by end of next week which will be 3 weeks since op.   Hope you are Ok and glad it is all over.
  • Posted

I am going to see my GP this morning as it will be 3 weeks this Friday since my polyp removal and today my bleeding has become heavier (like a period) rather than spotting and i also passed a large blood clot.  I wonder what could be causing this after polyp removal?
  • Posted

Well finally after nearly 3 weeks I have now received my results in writing and thankfully my polyp was benign so a huge relief, however my spotting hasn't entirely stopped and when I went to see my GP this week about my period like bleeding with a large blood clot she just said I'm a slow healer and that I need to give it a bit more time so no spotting yesterday and very tiny amount today so just waiting for it to stop altogether now, will have to keep an eye on it. 
  • Posted

I had a polyp removed on May 11. Had very light spotting for a couple of days but no pain. The polyp was benign.I was having heavy bleeding and abdominal pain before the polyp was removed. Everything was going fine until this past weekend, I started having pre-menstrual symptoms and then light period started ladt night (I am post menopausal). I see my doctor in the morning. I am afraid she is going to tell me I will need a hysterectomy.
    • Posted

I was getting very light spotting prior to my polyp removal.  After removal, it took nearly 3 weeks for the bleeding to stop (I thought it was never going to stop).   Hopefully, you may not need a hysterectomy (I dread that too as I have lots of other health issues).   I am 5 years post-menopause, what about you?
    • Posted

My doctor said the light spotting I have is just residual blood clots that I had before the surgery.      She did an exam and is not concerned about it.   She did say that she may prescribe hormones.    I also have a large fibroid tumor but she says that should not be causing the problems I have been having.   She is reluctant to do a hysterectomy as it would have to be abdominal surgery for me.    I just hope she is right about everything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.