Post nasal drip or COPD?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone.

I feel kinda bad for asking here again since I posted a question about COPD symptoms before but I cannot find any resources online for thissad

I am 26, ex smoker of 10-11 years, 7 pack years total. From 14 to 25.

Looking for some people who have had the first symtoms of COPD or post nasal drip that can share their knowledge.

I am waking up most morning with this yellow/brown coating on my tongue and a little bit in my throat. No cough, and it doesn't happen during the day. When it's light it's yellow, when it's heavy it's brownish. Mouth also feels dry sometimes.

How can I identify where it is from? Have you had either of these and can telll me what your experience was?

I am of course not looking for a diagnosis, i have spirometry coming up but that is not until the end of march. And i'm sure you know what worrying about stuff like this does to your mental health.

Any answers appreciated!

Thank you very much.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

tongue discolouration is not likely an indication of COPD at least I have never experienced this in my 12+ years.

I don't have post nasal drip either.

Good luck with your spirometry test.

• Posted

I see, thank you very much for your answer! And yes it's just on my tongue and a little bit in my throat. More some days, less others.

• Posted

I'm with Vee on the tongue discoloration not being part of COPD, counting myself & everyone else I know who's had it for 14-25 years.

Ditto for post nasal drip, and where I live at least 2/3ds of our nigh-million population suffer post nasal drip ,,, unless we all happen to be folks whose first morning activity is something other than tongue inspection.

I will say this: way back in the mists of time, fall '73 to be exact, I awoke with a pitch-black tongue. I almost didn't go on a ski trip, fearing that I was at death's door. Fortunately my double PhD. boyfriend, degrees in chemistry & physics, remembered something about Pepto Bismal having that effect if it was the last thing consumed at night (as in, awakening with heartburn, stumbling to meds cabinet, chewing or drinking the nasty stuff & going back to bed).

I'm not suggesting that you're suffering from PepBisBlackTongue because your tongue would be darker. But other things you drink or smoke or chew or lozenges you take could be doing this.

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the reply. Glad to hear it's not COPD. I find that the symptoms overlap a lot, mucus production etc so it's hard to know what to think.

• Posted

BTW, doesn't it take an awake, conscious act to maneuver post nasal drip onto the tongue?

• Posted

I don't know, does it? I know I wake up in the mornings with one nostril conjested usually, and the coating on my tongue and the roof of my mouth.

• Posted

I don't know, why don't you look it up? As to that stopped nostril in the a. m. ,,, welcome to being human. You can take steps to prevent that circumstance.

No offense intended but are you related to the online Secerbus who's incarcerated?

• Posted

Hi copd would mean you get more breathless easily especially climbing hill or steps.  You would also be more tired.

Whilst it is not unheard of for someone of your age to get copd it would be very unusual.  At this age it would normally be caused by a genetic deficienty called Alpha1.  This can be confirmed with a simple blood test.

Normally copd is diagnosed in people in their 40's and older and comes after decades of smoking.  That's not to say nothing is wrong - but it is very unlikely to be copd.  Good luck on finding a diagnosis.  x

• Posted

Thank you very much for the reply. I am not sure if you yourself have COPD or not but I hope it's OK to ask, would the early stages of COPD be something one does not notice at all? Or is it one of those diseases that does get noticable striaght away?(Assuming symptoms aren't getting ignored that is). 

• Posted

I have asthma and the early stages of copd.  This is due to decades of smoking as is the case with most copders.  I do not have any of the symptoms you describe. 

Like I said in the early stages you would expect to be more breathless generally especially climbing hills and stairs and get tired more easily.  Do you have any of those symptoms?  If not you haven't got copd. 

Maybe you do have a bit of health anxiety though?  x

• Posted

I've been diagnosed with early stages of copd, and upon waking, immediately start coughing  and bring up excessive mucus. I'm okay during the day though.

I've had chest X-ray which came back clear, also spirometry test which I was told was good. Doctor didn't even give me a diagnosis, until I asked. Then he said early stages. 

• Posted

The HSE Web Site has very good statistical info on COPD which also relates to symptoms and diagnosis
  • Posted

To Hypercat (Since the reply button did not work.

Hello.

I see. No i do not have these symptoms, I run 3 times a week and go to the gym 4 times a week so i reckon i would notice.

Yes I do have health anxiety, started after i quit smoking. All of a sudden it just kind of hit me that i wasn't immortal, as teens often think they are.

Lung cancer, copd, skin cancer, testicular cancer to name a few of the things ive been worried about in the last year haha. Feel kinda silly when im typing it.

The difference between those and copd has been that i actually *have* done the prerequisite for the decease, in this case smoking. So it's hitting me a bit harder than the rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.