Post Op Boot is very Painful

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I am hoping someone can describe through a picture or message me a link to an alternative boot that I will then email to my surgeon to get his approval...I have NO ROOM in the toe area and have the terrible "bunion pain" that I have not had for 10 years because I faithfully wore wide enough shoes with orthotics in them..Anyway, I am 61 inches tall and this boot is so heavy also, and I told my doc that I need to come in and get another boot - they will give me this same one in an even bigger size and I cannot bear to wear this one...my sutures in the bunion area just are throbbing - so if I can get something picked out, I am hoping my surgeon will let me get it myself...thanks for any options you can suggest...

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I bought a wheelchair, it was a lightweight aluminium frame (rather than iron which is heavy).  It has removable foot rests and so I bought a handed foot as an extra which helps me keep my leg raised at different levels.  I would recommend you either buy or hire.   But I found a warehouse that sold me a display model for half price, which came to the same price as hiring one for two weeks.

I thought that after four weeks I wouldn't need it for shopping and visits out, like you are doing,  it I was wrong.  I tried walking for half hour and it was very painful and became swollen right through the next day.  So I had to go back to raising my foot most of time, and I massaged my leg for lymph gland drain (found in YouTube).

So now at five weeks I'm still using the wheelchair as husband doesn't mind pushing, even though timid self propelling h, which is good,because I can also manage myself in small doses.  The only time I walk is if it is for just five mins or so, or where I can sit down for a bit.

Your pics, was your op toe really badly turned under your second toe?  It looks slanted like your other big toe?  My surgeon, in his words, over corrected my bunion because he said it would turn in later when I where normal shoes.  I have found all surgeons have different ideas about bunions.

Get started on your project, it keeps the mind off your foot.  It'll be good for you to get out later in month.

Here are my latest pics.

• Posted

Sorry about typos, should have read before sending  biggrin
    • Posted

Barbara, I am NOT happy with my big toe, 2nd toe relationship - IMO this should be more improved after surgery...He had to go in low on the big toe to cut a wedge of bone out because there was arthritis up further, where they usually cut and pin.  Under my boot I wear little black velcro "training" braces to pull the big toe over and the 2nd toe down.  Now he says another minor surgery is necessary to repair a tight tendon in the 2nd toe that he says is binding it.  Every other picture I have seen post-op looks much more dramatically different - so big question, do I move onto another surgeon for my other foot? I'm going to show pre-op and post-op together here..no matter what I do I cannot get the pre-op rotated.Next I'll reply about the wheelchair situation.
    • Posted

Barbara, looking at your great pictures, do you see why I am disappointed?  all this for not that much improvement?  anyway, thanks for the info about the wheelchair - I can borrow one from my church and think I will for the trip or to go out as long as Jim is with me, unless I can self propel - I have a 1 or more YET non-weight bearing...I'm starting to feel down about my post op foot - the swelling is mostly down - the relationship between big toe and 2nd just is not good enough IMO.  Thanks for your advice and listening to me whine, Barbara
    • Posted

should have read from May 6 I have 1 or MORE weeks of non-weight bearing to go.
    • Posted

As your surgeon came into some problems with your toes and tendons maybe that is why your toe didn't get straighter.  I had scarf and akin op.  He cut the metatarsal bone in a z shape, moved it over to nearer the second m toe, two screws to keep the bone together, then shaved of the excess bone.  Before this he cut the tissue between the big and second toe and this helped to pull the metatarsal bone over.  I think he also shaved of the bunion joint a bit.  Then he chopped a wedge out of my big toe to straighten it further then stapled it.  

The other thing that looks different from my post op to yours is that my toe and foot was bandaged for three weeks,  he put the bandage around the toe to make it set out more.  Maybe you should be wearing a splint on your big toe to allow it to straighten more?

I dont wish to worry you, in fact I would rather reassure you, but i do feel that if it were me I would talk to the surgeon about how your toe looks now compared to what it looked like before the op, and ask what he has done?  If you want, you can use my photo to compare. Hope this helps. Sorry .rolleyes

• Posted

Pleased to hear you can borrow a wheelchair, I find it great to get out of the house, so boring not getting fresh air, we even take it to a park with good paths to walk around to see the lovely spring blossoming.
    • Posted

I really like your sandels are the comfortable to walk in im looking for some air and comffy shoes to try and walk in buts its hard bc I still am wearing my mini boot have anu suggestions

• Posted

I weened myself do the wedge shoe into this sandal at 4 weeks, and what a relief.  It has a wide based sole which is shaped a bit to the foot.  The Velcro is adjustable to the swelling foot.  I tended to still walk on my heel and side of foot in them so the wide based made it stable for me.  I now have two other types of shoes, but find these the best.  

They are Teva active sandals, you can buy them online, but I found these in Blacks outdoor pursuits shop, because they are walking sandals!  Hope that helps, sweet.

• Posted

How's it going? Did you enjoy your outing for Mother's Day?  How did the wheelchair go?  Six weeks for me and my foot is getting better, still swells but I can do more and walk better.  
    • Posted

I was not able to go out on Mother's Day - it was too cold and windy .  My husband has not put the wheelchair together yet - we bought our own light travel one - we had 4 different repairmen at our house today and some remodeling going on (porch to 4 season room conversion.  Even the large boot causes me a HUGE amount of pain - even my night splints do not fit my foot - I have a short foot, but very wide toe space still after my surgery - again, I cannot understand a "one size" fits all mentality in a business that stresses custom orthotics and foot ware.  SO I see the doctors Thursday and am now wearing the spints that pll my big toe over and 2nd toe down - and until Thurs. a velcro black sandal that I used when I broke a toe once - it is a medical sandal from the doctor's office - then I am going to see what they can give me - I hold my foot always at 90 degrees or less and I could not do that before the Achilles lengthening part of the operationl  as the swelling goes down, my foot looks better, although the big toe is still turning too much to the left for my taste...I am in NO pain...if I wear the cam  boot that does not fit me, I am on pain pills all day - How are you doing?  It sounds like you are doing well...
    • Posted

Sounds like you're still sorting things out, and I can remember being really frustrated with my situation at a few weeks after op.

I am still getting fooled by my recovery; the foot looks good, feels good no or very little swelling so I think 'oh I can use it more' so go out in garden to my greenhouse and stand about doing stuff, forget the time, and then find I have to come back in as it starts to hurt and is swollen again!  

How people return to work after 6 weeks I do not know.  We still using wheelchair to go long distances like shopping etc.  better than getting a swollen foot again.  But next week my husband has an op on his elbow, so I'll have to get about more.  Just as well the supermarket has a loaning motorised chair, Goffer.

• Posted

Barbara - I still have a problem with 3 sizes of a boot for a HUGE range of women's and men's feet.  Yes we have to wear post op cam walking boots or special post op shoes, but I am going to fight having to wear something that causes me to use heavy pain medicine, IF it is unnecessary pain...I am just putting very light weight on my left foot and the cam boot does provide a strong buffer at the heel - so I will work with them, but need to find something for a foot that is small & narrow, until the toe area which is very wide...Now I have not even gotten to putting full weight on that foot and I believe there will be true pain & swelling ahead as I go on, so pain I think is going to still be in my future...I also asked to see my xrays to evaluate how much the big toe bone has im.proved on the angle...I'll report back after that..Oh, I am back to practicing the piano to be able to play at church - 3 weeks post op - I think I can do it.
    • Posted

Must feel wonderful to play, that'll do you some good to get on with it.

i was wondering if you foot could be strapped/bandaged up to keep it at 90 angle?  What did he say about plaster cast instead of boot?

• Posted

Barbara, that is what I am going to ask them - that would achieve protection, keep the 90 degree angle, but leave room for my foot to heal...In fact, I better start my list of about 20 questions to ask my foot doctor and the surgeon - the surgeon signs off this Thursday and then my foot doctor takes over post op recovery...
    • Posted

The system seems so different over there in USA.  Hopefully we all feel satisfied with the end results.
    • Posted

I know - your feet do look really good - as you know, I am not totally satisfied, but I think it is too early - the surgeon said I might need surgery later on my 2nd toecry  he said the tendon is too tight...at this point, it is what it is, although I am carefully evaluating if I should let the same doc do my right foot (which needs done, but is not as severe as the right - probably I will because I need the Achilles done to match my left leg...yes, all we can do is think "Hope springs eternal."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.