Post op bunion surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I am 4 days 18 / 01/2015 post  op from bunion surgery straightening of second toe and little toe pain was horendous and was unable to control pain with ibuprofen and paracetamol so tried co codamol  which didn't help either I managed to get some stronger pain relief from gp which was tramadol eased pain quite quickly but on Saturday morning had bad reaction of fast heart rate and ended up with an overnight stay in hospital I have never taken tramadol  and was told it was a side effect from it I can heel walk in a shoe was given walking stick which helps but mum borrowed me her Zimmer frame bless her which is really good around the house was told only to walk to downstairs toilet and to make a cuppa apart from that it was rest and elevation for 2 weeks just got letter this morning to see consultant on Thursday (a week later )so looking forward to that !! I ain't taking any painkillers at mo don't want a repeat of last few days but pain is manageable at mo 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello.  I am 11 weeks post op.  I don't know anything about tramadol. I was on Hydrocodone every 6 hours and 2 Ibuprophen inbetween.  I was on that for about 10 days.  On the 7th day I reduced to 1/2 hydrocodone.  I had to eat 1/2 banana with it and some milk so it didn't make me sick to my stomach.  You are pretty tough if you are managing with no pain killers at 4 days.  But I have 3 plates and 13 screws and had 2 other toes fixed, too.  Good luck.   
    • Posted

Hi don't think I'm tough just don't want a repeat of the reactions from meds again ! And as i mentioned pains ok as long as it's elevated keep posting interesting reading others experiences !
  • Posted

Hello,

my surgery was jan 16, so I think we are recovering in the same time. I had today 2 ibuprofen but from tomorrow on I try it without painmedication. The night after the surgery, I was in the hospital and had to ask for stronger medication. From saturday on I used paracetamol and ibuprofen.

Goodluck with the recovery.

• Posted

U too tiany !keep posting on here so we can compare notes !! It husbands bought me a waterproof boot I can put on so its a lovely shower for me in morning !!
  • Posted

Hi Gill, yes a shower is so important. I am showering in the bathtub, sitting on a plastic chair and with my leg overboard. Seems weird, but ik works and I feel more secure that way. This morning no Ibuprofen but 1 paracetamol.

My 1st control is next week friday. 

• Posted

Didn't shower this morning worried about lack of balance had a lovely bath with special waterproof boot on can definitely recommend it ! Hair washed and I feel so much better
    • Posted

I'm having both feet operated on on Friday and I have been dithering about how I'm giong to shower. Any ideas anyone?

• Posted

Hi

I was told I had to have a flannel wash at the sink every day until my stitches come out so I would really appreciate it if you could tell me where I could buy that waterproof boot so I can have a shower or bath? And how much it costs please? Thank you so much. I wonder why my family are keeping away? Ha ha!

• Posted

Web site betterlifehealthcare . Com ba7877 product code £8.95 plus carriage
    • Posted

I put a folding chair in the shower to sit on and put a white trash bag on my foot and tapet it real good wherer no water could leak in and with a hand held shower sprayer I took a shower.  I could hold my foot away from the spray and it worked real good.  Hope your surgery goes well. 
  • Posted

Hi

I am 7 days post op from a bunion op and my second toe was straightened with a pin. I too had lots of pain so I was advised to ice my foot with a bag of peas, for about 20 mins every hour, by wrapping the peas in a pillowcase so it doesn't cause frost bite! This brings the swelling down. I also elevate my foot as much as possible although I am now getting very bored! The pain worsens if I do stand for too long. I Have been recommended to get some box sets of DVDs to pass the time away. Good luck to you and hope the pain recedes. We have to learn to be patient and enjoy our long rest! 

• Posted

Hi I'm sat watching flint stones on sky at mo I thought I would enjoy just been laid with foot up but I'm getting a little bored now I'm always on the go so this is proving a little difficult for me but I will survive !! I ain't got any frozen peas but I'm sure I will find something I can use if not sure hubby will go get me some tonight !! Hope your recovery is speedy !!
    • Posted

Thanks for the tip on frozen peas when mentioned it to hubby he said what about filling hot water bottle with ice water ? Tried it ! It works a treat !!
  • Posted

Goodevening everybody,

I had a fine day. Went eating with my husband, foot on a chair all time. So happy to be out for an hour. Rest of the day at home with my foot high. Try to put your ice or iced peas under your leg just below the knee. They did that in the hospital. The blood that's going to the foot is cooler. It's a good feeling and I think swelling diminished.

• Posted

Glad u managed to get out my turn Thursday !! Will try that makes good sense to have blood cooled before going to foot thanks !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.