Post Op - Burning, stabbing pain in abdomen

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I'm only 3 weeks post op from my Oophorectomy - removal of the ovaries & tubes only. At 2 weeks post op, the surgeon felt that I should have been feeling pretty good and soon able to return to work as my short term disability approved 3 weeks recovery.

At this point I may as well have been told by my surgeon & the hospital Emergency Room that the pain is in my head.

I have the worst burning stabbing pain just below my belly button and about 5" over to my left! Since the surgeon felt that I should be healing by then, he ordered a CT Scan, which came back clear. He had me on Oxycodone, but switched to Tylenol w/ cod. As well as Tramodol. Nothing yet has touched the pain that I'm having.

Yesterday, I called the surgeons office and they recommended that I go to the Emergency Room for additional testing. Guess what? I'm still in great pain as they ran urine tests & blood tests and found nothing and sent me on my way. I began to cry because this pain is not in my head. They prescribed me Bentyl, which did nothing but make me use the bathroom. Really? This pain is not in my bowels!

I've tried to tell them is more like a nerve or muscle pain & that I want something for that type of pain, but they brush me off like they don't want to hear it.

I need to get back to work! I can't do anything much at all without "over doing" myself. The only relief I have is lying flat with a heating pad.

I absolutely hate feeling like this as I feel people think I'm crying wolf, but this is not my usual self or lazy lifestyle.

Any suggestions or helpful advice is welcome!

Thank You for taking the time to read my post...

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry your going throught this I had same pain and still feeling it each day at 5 months post op I had a full abdominal incision for my hysterectomy hip to hip cut and they keep telling me it's healing pain will take time for nerves to heal so it's my everyday life now could last a year ! It catches me off guard when the pain hits and I burn Constantly all day after lunch and rest of the day as due to swelling in belly ! Just don't think they want to help anymore way I feel ! I'm right there with you! Good luck

• Posted

Ouch! I am thankful that mine was laparoscopic, but to feel that if so many people are experiencing this same feeling, why are doctors acting like it's in our (my) head?

• Posted

I felt the same way ! How can they think pain is in your head because 9 out of 10 haven't been through any of this crap that's how they have NO idea what it's like I'm sure!!

• Posted

Thats terrible I should get a second opinion and contact your doctor for a emergency appointment I would get a private appointment asap if I couldn't get no joy with NHS I would complain as well luckily I had my hysterectomy done with a very good surgeon on the NHS but in a private hospital best of luck I feel for you

• Posted

Oh, trust me, I will be going in again. Maybe I need to mention a lawyer in order to get someone to help me.
  • Posted

You are totally normal and it is not in your head! I am 5 weeks today and feeling your pain literally! My doctor said it is all normal healing so don't stress .... you're not crazy. Week 5 was the first eeek I have started feeling better. Takes it easy!

• Posted

Thank You for the encouraging words! Did you have a full or partial? Why do they give a 2/3 week recovery? That's crazy when it's what you plan/schedule for work. If I'd had known this, I'd have scheduled this in the winter time. 😊

• Posted

A full hysterectomy see how it goes with a second opinion first before you start calling lawyers no way should you be going back to work for at least 6 to eight weeks
    • Posted

Wonderful! I was approved for 4 weeks total only because of my last follow up appt date of the 24th. Simply ridiculous that they initially told me only 2 weeks, but I requested 3 to be safe. Who was I fooling?!?!?! Ugggg
    • Posted

I had a total ... all removed except cervix. My doctor said 4-6 weeks to start feeling like yourself again and that if I had a desk job to go back part time after 4. Yesterday was 5 weeks and I can only handle sitting thre for 4 hours right now. I promise you .. give it time, I still have pain especially after work, but it's getting better each day.... give it time. Ps. I'm 50! 😊

• Posted

Also, I tried to go back to work after 3 weeks but couldn't. I got dressed and got back into bed. 4 weeks I did a few hours Monday and Tuesday and then stayed home the rest of the week. This is week 5 and it is like night and day!

• Posted

Oh my, so how are you feeling now? Still on 2 days or back full time?

I emailed my primary gyn that referred me to this surgeon and she is finally prescribing me something for nerve pain. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I appreciate having someone to discuss this with as I have no one here but my daughter which is only 22 and doesn't understand.

• Posted

I totally understand. Everyone is different, but no one cannot understand unless they have been through it. Lean on your daughter .. mine is 22 also and she's been a terrific help. If you overdo then you will set yourself back. And no, I'm back to work 4 hours a day this week; I usually do 7. Any questions please feel free to ask me. Also there is a website hystersisters which is an excellent go to site too!

• Posted

I hope this has been resolved for you.i had a full hysterectomy 8 weeks ago.they found stage1 cancer in my right ovary and also a cancerous tumour in my appendix.luckily it was all removed although ive just started a six session course of chemo.ive had a little niggle in my left side since the op.its about 3 inchs to the left of my scar but has got progressivly worse in the last few weeks to the point where im sat here nearly crying in pain and none of the painkillers im using are helping.i need to get to the docs just havent had time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.