Post Op - Burning, stabbing pain in abdomen

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I'm only 3 weeks post op from my Oophorectomy - removal of the ovaries & tubes only. At 2 weeks post op, the surgeon felt that I should have been feeling pretty good and soon able to return to work as my short term disability approved 3 weeks recovery.

At this point I may as well have been told by my surgeon & the hospital Emergency Room that the pain is in my head.

I have the worst burning stabbing pain just below my belly button and about 5" over to my left! Since the surgeon felt that I should be healing by then, he ordered a CT Scan, which came back clear. He had me on Oxycodone, but switched to Tylenol w/ cod. As well as Tramodol. Nothing yet has touched the pain that I'm having.

Yesterday, I called the surgeons office and they recommended that I go to the Emergency Room for additional testing. Guess what? I'm still in great pain as they ran urine tests & blood tests and found nothing and sent me on my way. I began to cry because this pain is not in my head. They prescribed me Bentyl, which did nothing but make me use the bathroom. Really? This pain is not in my bowels!

I've tried to tell them is more like a nerve or muscle pain & that I want something for that type of pain, but they brush me off like they don't want to hear it.

I need to get back to work! I can't do anything much at all without "over doing" myself. The only relief I have is lying flat with a heating pad.

I absolutely hate feeling like this as I feel people think I'm crying wolf, but this is not my usual self or lazy lifestyle.

Any suggestions or helpful advice is welcome!

Thank You for taking the time to read my post...

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Harleesmimi. I am sorry that you are suffering from terrible pain. It is not in your head! Unfortunately, people who do not understand will minimize your pain. I think that 3 weeks off work is definitely too short a time for adequate recovery. Your recovery will take time. Be gentle with yourself and listen to your body when it tells you to slow down. I am almost 7 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy. My doctor booked me off work for 6 weeks. From time to time I have sharp stabbing pains in my lower abdomen, especially in the groin. These are lessening with each week. I pray that you receive complete healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.