Post Op diary - Open Surgery linguinal mesh repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

54 YO male - Left side open surgery on Friday - Now Sunday.  I underestimated the pain. Worst was last night (36 hours post-op). Only taking 800mg ibuprofen because I was worried about constipation. Drink lots of water and take stool softener pills post op. BMs are fine. Incredibly painful when going from rest to standing but it's only from muscle soreness. Acute burning sensation when standing/walking - lean in a certain way.  Purple testicle and side of penis - all said to be expected. Was told most people return to desk jobs 3-4 days post surgery but I find that hard to believe. This hurts! And I have a very high pain tolerance. Have had 3 spine surgeries and this is just as painful in terms of short term post-op. Had to be done though. Put it off for 18 mos until the hernia wouldn't stay in anymore despite pushing it in. Very physically active - crossfitter - and hoping I can be back to it within a month or so. Going to shower and get some walking in today. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Are you taking 800mg of Ibuprofen all in one go?
  • Posted

Hi Matthew

3-4 days, who are they kidding. It took six weeks for mine to settle and the swelling to go down. 

Standing and sitting is the worst I agree but it does get better after a week or so. Even now and mine was 8 weeks ago, I still get pain which the hospital claim are nerves firing off. 

I too heavy co-codimal and that was bad. Blocked for eight days. I was. Worried but doctor didn’t seemed too concerned. 

Anyway yours will will heal it is just a waiting game Matthew.

steve

• Posted

Don't know if this is of help as my surgery was Laparoscopic TEP left Spigelian Hernia.  All I was told was it would be extremely painful, not to lift ANYTHING for at least eight weeks, not to stretch.  Driving was left to your own discretion, most people said as long as you can do an emergency stop it would be fine but the nurse said to think about maneuvering when parking etc.  On this sight someone had mentioned Hernia Talk.  I wish I had found this weeks ago, so much information such as take Milk of Magnesia for a week then ease off(to avoid constipation!)  walk, walk, walk, eat a light diet for the first two weeks. Beware of exercise even things like yoga for at least two to three months.  It also mentioned that you may experience back ache through sleeping on your back. I found it incredibly painful when going from sitting or lying to standing.The third and fourth week I had stabbing burning pains when standing that really took my breathe away. I am half way through my seventh week  which has been almost pain free apart from the odd twinge.  I had  my appendix operation many years ago and i don't remember it being this painful!  How people go back to work in less than a week I do not know as apparently sitting in one postion is not good.  Hope you soon feel better

• Posted

Thank you, Patricia. I was at work the very next day with appendix operation. This feels more like my spinal fusion surgery.  Thanks for the tips and well wishes.  
  • Posted

Hi Matthew, I had the op a year ago last September. I recently found my post op diary on my phone so thought I would post it for comparison. It covers the first 12 days and where it ends I had a bit of a relapse recovery wise on going back to work. It was tough at the time but it did get easier shortly after. Milestones for me were 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months. 1 year since and only the odd twinge or tightness in the area, especially when physically tired. Otherwise very happy I had the op however as you say and I agree initial healing pain in underestimated. Good luck with your recovery.

Day 0 – Very sore when leaving hospital as aesthetic had mostly worn off. Trouble sitting in taxi home. Soreness/pain is from the incision site. Taking prescription medication as prescribed by hospital (staying off codeine though as worried about constipation as had a horrible experience before with this drug).

Day 1 – Still very sore at incision site. Sleeping a lot.

Day 2 – Easier to sit but still very sore around incision. Slept in the afternoon for a few hours as very tired.

Day 3 – Slightly less sore today also can bend down with relative ease. Noticed bruising to testicles. Very swollen down there.

Day 4 – Much easier to move today but still a little sore. Testicles still swollen black and blue but not much discomfort or pain with it in that area.

Day 7 – Took dressing off in shower. Removed strips slowly piece at a time while repeatedly keeping them wet. Not too difficult and no pain or stinging. Probably took me ten minutes to do it carefully. Amazing how much healing has gone on in that time incision wise at least.

Day 8 – 10 Feeling slightly better every day. Bruising has reduced and slowly faded. Been working in the garden, light duties only but still busy.

Day 11 return to work. Quite uncomfortable sitting at a desk all day. I work 12 hour shifts. Incision is healed fine with a hard ridge that appears to be reducing slowly. Discomfort is internally sore. Maybe it is the body dealing with internal healing and/or mesh.

Day 12 Feeling exhausted this morning on waking up. Feeling sore and tired all day at work. Went out for a walk at lunch time and could not walk far as to sore and fatigued.

Note: Took prescribed pain killers for 4 days plus Ibuprofen. Carried on with Ibuprofen until day 7 then back on them on day 12.

..end

• Posted

Thank you!  Did you have intense burning pain first couple of days - when moving to stand up?   Takes a good 45 seconds just stand up straight to avoid that burn. 
  • Posted

Hi. I had op 16 days ago (RHS open surgery). I spent first 48 hours mostly in bed due to discomfort of getting up and down, but it does ease off quite dramatically after 2-3 days, so don’t worry.

i took all the meds for 5 days, then just ibuprofen (400mg) occasionally for next 5days. I worked from home after a week, as possible in my role, and actually will go back to office today.

Have not needed pain relief in last 5 days, but always have them around. Still have some discomfort, but find I just need to take it easy. Chomping at the bit to get back to running, but not prepared to risk damaging what has been done, so think it will be after Christmas before I can do that.

One word of warning. A week after surgery I was feeling useless watching my wife and kids do all my chores. So I spent 2 hours in kitchen on my feet making biscuits and a cake. Stupid idea, as then spent the next 24 hours recovering by laying down.

Just take it easy, and remember it was invasive surgery and will take time to be fully healed.

• Posted

Good advice! And yes, feeling better on this morning of day 3. Thank God!  Haha
  • Posted

Hi Mathew yes pain was pretty intense those first few days. I think at the time I described it as intense ‘stinging’ so it may be what you are describing as burning. As geezer just said make sure you take it easy for a bit and don’t try to do to much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.