Post Op diary - Open Surgery linguinal mesh repair

Posted , 8 users are following.

54 YO male - Left side open surgery on Friday - Now Sunday.  I underestimated the pain. Worst was last night (36 hours post-op). Only taking 800mg ibuprofen because I was worried about constipation. Drink lots of water and take stool softener pills post op. BMs are fine. Incredibly painful when going from rest to standing but it's only from muscle soreness. Acute burning sensation when standing/walking - lean in a certain way.  Purple testicle and side of penis - all said to be expected. Was told most people return to desk jobs 3-4 days post surgery but I find that hard to believe. This hurts! And I have a very high pain tolerance. Have had 3 spine surgeries and this is just as painful in terms of short term post-op. Had to be done though. Put it off for 18 mos until the hernia wouldn't stay in anymore despite pushing it in. Very physically active - crossfitter - and hoping I can be back to it within a month or so. Going to shower and get some walking in today. 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update: day 3 much better!  Lots of bruising of scrotum and penis. Day 5 took long walk - did a few errands and a couple of simple handy man projects. Very sore at end of day.  Have napped a couple hours every day and still sleep well at night. Still stings/burns at the site and down thigh when I stand up - tight/achy in the hips -  but off all advil/Tylenol. Wondering if I'll be up for this business trip in 4 days.  Still basically amazed at how I totally underestimated the ordeal of the procedure! 

• Posted

Almost 3 weeks after surgery but feels like I have a second degree burn on scrotum, thigh, and side of penis. Will it go away?  Started light exercise - treadmill, push ups, pull ups, stretching.  Everything else feels fine but this is super uncomfortable. 
    • Posted

Hi matthew20702,

I am two weeks post left inguinal open surgery and have the burning on left side of scrotum, inside thigh just like you did. Did yours ever go away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.