Post op info?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

I m having my op (TAH) sometime Friday afternoon ( will know where I am on the list when I get to hospital at 1pm) just curious to know how long I'll be drowsy for once I m back on the ward? Will I be wide awake or sleepy all night? Wondering if it'll be a waste of my hubby's time coming to see me if I m unconscious?

Any comments would be appreciated

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had mine done five weeks ago.  Went to theatre at 11am and was on ward by 3 pm. Wide awake.  Hubby came at 6 pm and I was absolutely fine.  Good luck for Friday
    • Posted

Wow I hope I m wide awake then, had visions of me being in and out of sleep. Thanks for your support x
  • Posted

I came round at 12.30 the consultant was talking to me saying i would be transfered to another hospital tomorrow by ambulance (bed stortage) i slept on and off visiting time at 3pm I was awake speaking to my sister, who had been trying to phone to see how i was but unable to get though she came to the hospital not expecting to see me but the nurse told her I was. Everyone is different in how they are afterwards Your husband may be glad to see you and know you have started your recovery. good luck
    • Posted

Hi Judy

First of all, I d like to say how nice it is to know you're doing

well.

Thank you for the info my Hubby's just said he all definitely be coming to see me after the op 😂 I think it will make me more content once I ve seen him. This week I ve been so ratty, and

short tempered, be glad to get it done and dusted!

Rest well, take care Judy x

• Posted

i am only on day 7 post op feel so well - the worry and stress before is the worst part 
  • Posted

Hi Nanny to 5

I had my op last Thursday at 8.30am and i was out of it until around late afternoon, i then wanted to keep dropping off to sleep. My family came at 6pm and i managed to stay awake for the visiting 6-8.

I feel absolutly fine now just a little sore on either side but no pain.

It's the stockings that you have to wear that are causing me more problems. i have been so lucky.

Good luck for Friday x

• Posted

Hi Nanny

I know everyone is different but I had my op at 9.00 am - came round at just after 11.00 not even realising I had had the op.  Back in my room at 12.00 and tucking into a sandwich and 3 cups of tea at 1.00  Felt absolutely fine.  Mine was a vaginal hysterectomy and from reading posts on this site, that method is the easiest to recover from, but I would imagine the recovery from the anaeasthetic is the same (I had an epidural as well as the general anaesthetic).

I hope you have an easy ride like I did.

Shani x

• Posted

Hi Shani

I do hope I feel like you did, they've not mentioned an epidural to me and I m having the abdominal. Was hoping for either key hole or vaginal but not to be. Thanks for your comments, really hope I recover from anaesthetic quickly x

• Posted

Hi Nanny

Best of luck on Friday - I'm sure you will find that the worrying is worse than the actual op.  I recovered really well generally and was jogging at 5 weeks post op.  The only advice I would give you is be very careful during the first six weeks.  I thought I was Wonderwoman as I felt so well and ended up with a heavy bleed from either twisting or bending awkwardly.  They only seem to tell you not to lift, which I didn't, but they didn't give more detailed advice.  I have tried to upload a recovery plan that someone on this site was given but unfortunately it won't allow me to change it to an acceptable format.  Maybe someone out there has it and can upload you a copy.  It is basically a week-by-week plan on do's and dont's and although it sounds a bit insulting to your intelligence, it gives you a good idea of where you should be each week.

Best wishes for Friday.

Shani

x

• Posted

Hi Clair. Its your partner in crime re failed ablation here Sharon , who had the lot whipped out by abdominal cut due to the same problems as you. Its funny reading all the different recovery stories but in all honesty there's only one you should be thi king about now and that's yours. I went down first thing and was supposed to have an epidural as well but i had a trainee doing it and after 3 failed attempts the lead anaesthetist took over and just used a general.Woke up a few times in recovery but had low blood pressure and high temp so was there till mid afternoon. Hubby came about 3 and i don't remember much apart from being glad he was in the room as i was in a side room on my own and was sick so at least he was on hand to call the nurses. He only stayed an hour or two,but i do remember the nurses constantly checking me during the night.I drank quite a bit but no food other than dry biscuits as nauseous.All i want you to know is its brilliant for people who are fine, but everyone is different. I was told six weeks off work yet here i am at week 10 still off and not driving due to extreme pulling in my right hand groin area.Seen the surgeon who said its where he had to put permanent last stitches in to hold my vagina in place for life😞God knows what hes done but if feels like guy ropes from a tent at right angles to my scar in there!Now waiting for physio to free it up in order to get back behind the wheel.Went to see Gp yesterday and asked her to check me internally as still getting a pressure feeling inside but thankfully all is well She just reassured me that i am doing well and six weeks is what is more realistic for keyhole,vaginal surgery. I too,like you wished i could have had it done that way but unfortunately it wasn't possible. Finally don't worry about boredom i was so energetic,working full time and out dancing to country and western ballroom and rock n roll three evenings a week with hubby along with zumba classes,but at the moment have neither the energy or physical ability to do any of it.The days just seem to be flying by and i am more than happy to relax for the first time ever and let my body heal right first time. Cant wait for the new me in a few weeks,months time,after all we have the rest of our lives to finally be pain free and enjoy😊Will be thinking of you and all the other ladies having their ops this week,the waiting really is the worst part so stay strong Love to you all Sharon xxx
    • Posted

Oh thanks Sharon for your comments,, I do remember you as we both had the awful pains from ablation, I thought i was the only one suffering like that! I ll post on here as soon as I feel

'with it' after the op!

Speak soon x

• Posted

Hi, I think difficult one to answer as all different. My hubby came in to hospital as was told I should be back on ward. Went to theatre at 3.45 pm and got back at 8.45 as spent ages in recovery . Was not with it at all and when surgeon asked me how I was when in recovery I told them all to leave me alone as I felt I wanted to die! Yes extreme I know! I think first visit was for hubby's benefit more than me and he didn't stay long. Even next evening I was not really great as only just off PCA. But next day I was ok . I had few probs post op with bleeding and vomiting due to voltarol so that didn't help. But it is good to know people are there for you and at least my hubby could tell the kids he had seen me and I was ok. I ended up apologising to him for not being good company but he said that was ok, probably glad I was quiet for once! Just have to let your hubby or family contact the ward and get feedback and then decide depending on time of day. If mine not there when I got back I don't think I would've noticed as just wanted drugs and rest! Good luck xxx
    • Posted

The way you were is the way I am expecting to be mumbolan!

I my head I keep thinking I ll be unconscious for most the day as my op isn't until afternoon. I hope I m wide awake but I just don't think I will be

Good luck with your recovery, hope you start to feel like a new woman in next couple of weeks x

• Posted

I had mine 5 weeks ago and I was second on the list my husband came to see me but I was very drowsy so if anyone comes to visit you won't be up to much
    • Posted

Thanks for info lyn, I guess I ll have to see how I go. Can't wait for it to be over

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.