Post Op Procedures...

Posted , 10 users are following.

My surgery is coming up fast, now - two weeks, tomorrow, and ​I have some questions that I hope the Forum can answer:

​I have arranged transportation to the Clinic and need to be ready to travel by 10:30 a.m., for admission at 12:30 p.m. Surgery scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

​It will be a long day, and I am assuming that I will be kept pretty busy with pre op preparations, meetings with the anaesthetist, and all other interested bods.  By 5:30 p.m., I shall be pretty whacked out, unless there is an opportunity for a snooze.

​When I visited the Clinic for my pre op, the climate control caused me to feel dehydrated and my face flushed up almost immediately.  I am extremley fair skinned, and this is going to be a real problem for me.  The dehydration will be very uncomfortable, and I know that I shall not be permitted to drink so much as a glass of water, several hours before surgery.  I understand why this is, so no problem, just a temporary discomfort.   Fortunately, there are windows that open and can help with the uncomfortable flushing.

​We are catheterized until we make it to the loo independently,  I drink a lot of water and cranberry juice.  I am pretty sure that they will want to ration my fluid intake, as they will not want bags filling up too rapidly and overflowing!  I want to take two or three bottles of water in with me, along with some cranberry juice.  Is this permitted, or is it down to the individual clinic/hospital's guidelines?

​Following surgery, I understand that I shall be back in my room at around 10:00 p.m.  I believe that I read somewhere, that a good night's sleep is out of the question as the nurses will constantly be waking me up to take blood pressure readings, etc.  Is this actually what happens, and approximately how many times during the course of the night is this done? 

​Given that I may well be exhausted the day after surgery, due to the surgery itself and the monitoring, they will be wanting to get me up and mobilized.  The sooner the better, but it will be an ordeal, if I am already tired from an interrupted night.  Will I be given an opportunity to sleep during the day? 

​I want to take a Kindle and my computer in with me, as I am hoping that I will be well enough, at some point, to either read a Kindle book, if there is one that I can access that is sufficiently challenging and interesting.  Otherwise, I am thinking that a good couple of movies or the l967 edition of the Forsyte Saga, will keep me occupied.  Not sure that I will be well enough though, as i am not sure what to expect.  There is no point carrying a lot of equipment to keep me entertained, if I am in no condition to appreciate any of it.

​Reading other posts, it seems that post op condtion can vary enormously from one person to the next, but I am wondering what the mid line experience, is post op? 

​First time up, I understand is using a walker. How many times during the day following surgery do they usually get you up and about?  What is the usual procedure on Day 2 and Day 3?  Day 4 is supposedly the day one is "let out," providing the surgeon is satisfied with progress, etc.

​A lot of questions for the Forum, but it is as well to be as well prepared, as possible, recognising that there a variations from person to person and clinic/hospital practises, as well.

​I have resumed my physio excerises after an hiatus created by the shock of the RBBB finding and the echo, that had me in a state of shock for a month.  So, with any luck, they will help post op as I am trying to stretch the muscles that have atrophied because of the OA, and build more upper body strength with push ups, etc.

​Some feedback would be very much appreciated, although know that some of my questions may be unasnwerable.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Susie.

I see like lots of us your mind is running fast with a million questions and scenarios.

I had admission at 7:30am and was nil by mouth from midnight the night before.

However at the hospital i was in had a special solution called preload to drink at 6am that was a fluid/carbohydrate mixture.

Then as wasnt due to go to theatre until after lunchtime was allowed a glass of water.

I was taken down to theatre at 12:30 and was in recovery by 4pm.

No catheter initially but did need it on 2nd day due to retention of urine ..48hrs insitu and fine when removed.

You will be encouraged to drink lots with or without a catheter.

If u are ok PT will get you up asap with frame.

Dont worry it will be mobile with help and within your capabilities.

I took a kindle ipod and puzzlebook but all remained unopened....concentration not great and now at 3wks just getting that back.

If u get chance to rest do so and take some earplugs they are essential xxx

Good luck and see you on otherside in hippie land.

O ps keep on top of bowels... dont get too constipated 😣

• Posted

Hi Angela:

Thank you so much for getting back to me with so much info. 

​I am glad to hear that they do not ration fluid intake, ad I am heavy drinker - water and cranberry, that is!  I has wondered about the after effect of the anaesthesia.  It sounds as though the Forsyte Saga maybe my best option, and there are solitaire games on the computer, if I have any intellectual capacity, at all....!

I will be in a a private room, but will take in some earplugs, as they may wish to leave the door open. 

​I will take some medication with me for the constipation issues, although the fluids should help.

Will post again, on the other side...!

• Posted

Hi Susie,  I can't answer all your questions but I can definitely say the hospital won't be rationing your fluid intake - this can lead to an infection. I drink lots of wage and cranberry and took some in with me. I was drinking over two litres of fluid every day whilst catheterised  it wa semptied when necessary. 

I took a kindle but didn't read anything more challenging than a magazine. I could get on and off my bed as I felt like it and could sleep when I wanted to. I wasn't really disturbed by the waking up to monitor blood pressure etc possibly due to the drugs I was n at first. 

Good of luck with it. Try not to sweat the small stuff - it's not worth it. It's going to be challenging at first but it will be worth it. 

Catrin

• Posted

Yes forgot to say take some ear plugs and an eye mask then you can snooze whenever you like. 
    • Posted

Sorry for the typos - I drink lots of water it should read. 
    • Posted

Hi Catrin:

​Thank you for the feedback.  Will buy a mask - as scary as possible to keep any pests away...   I will try to rest as much as possible as I can be very irritiable if I don't have enough rest, and I don't want to inflict that on the staff.

​It is good to hear that you were able to get in and out of bed fairly easily, although I would expect Day 1 will need to be with assistance and the walker.  I think a lot of it will be a bulding up of confidence in the new hip, though.

​I am very encouraged, and look forward to ciming iut the other side, and posting on my experience!

Many thanks.

• Posted

Hi. Yes day one I had help to use a walking frame and then day 2 they brought the crutches. The physio showed me how to get on and off the bed by hooking the good leg under the bad and sliding. Once I was confident with the crutches I was mobile on my own. Don't compare yourself though go at your own pace. I got a lovely eye mask from Zara. I also had a packet of cream crackers to nibble on and I took my own probiotic so didn't need any laxative or stool softener thank god.

The food where I was wasn't the best so I kind of existed on the cream crackers, bits brought from home and full fat cola (which I normally never drink ) but it helped keep my energy levels up. I went home on day 5 as I had blood pressure issues but by then I was more or less independent.

• Posted

Difference of physios, I got told not to lift my bad leg with the good, not to cross either midline. to keep the hip straight.
    • Posted

Each they all have their own ways eh. I didn't cross the midline just sort of hooked the good foot under the bad foot and I did keep both legs straight. hard to explain and it's almost 15 months ago now. Funny how quickly you forget. 
  • Posted

Hi susie

I can only quote from my own experience

My op was in the morning at a NHS hospital and I had a GA.

Back on the ward by lunchtime, was initially on 2 hourly blood pressure etc, by the evening was on 4 hourly. Must have been checked during the night but cannot remember it as I slept through it.

No catheter so used a bedpan till allowed up around 9 am next day. Plenty of time to snooze. I noticed that those with catheters were encouraged to drink to prevent dehydration so I think you can take your extras in

X-ray on day 1 to check position of implant, also visit from surgeon who answered all questions

Did need entertainment, I had kindle, books and magazines as well as iPad with a couple of films on.

Once they were happy I could use walker I was allowed to get out of bed and go to loo unsupervised. Most of us had a snooze after lunch

Crutches from physio late day 1, again allowed out to loo unsupervised

Ward encouraged sitting out of bed for some of day, longer each day

More mobile each day, physio each day,

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hello Susie

Firstly, it is important to remember that it will go well and the staff will do everything they can to make you comfortable. Although a major surgery, it is a routine surgery too.

If you are able to sleep before the surgery would, to a great extent, depend of your state of mind. If you are relaxed enough, then why not. I was and had a power nap. But then, I went in at 06:30 and my surgery was not until 14:00.

Take your computer/Kindle or whatever but remember to take the charger and possibly and extention lead. If you are not up to it, no harm done.

They normally try and get you up on the day of the surgery, but as yours is so late, it may be the next morning. I would think that you will use the walker in the morning and move to crutches by the afternoon - although this does depend on where you are (in the world). I would expect them to have you try stairs by the afternoon of day one post op. Once you can demostrate that you are able to go up and down stairs with confidence, then you will be deemed as ready for discharge. 

I am sure you have heard of Rocketman's website. It is worth a look as it is filled with information from people who have travelled this journey before.

Michael

• Posted

A very good mosturiser is a must and will help with your concerns about your skin, and will be of some comfort whilst you wait, so one of your favourites is a good idea, nicely scented and can be used regularly on your hands. I also took a massage oils and keep a room spray with me to help me feel calm. Hand wipes and baby wipes and your favourite juice (they usually serve cheap and nasty ones in the private hospitals) something special will be really nice for you to have there. 

You will be in zero pain when you awake and for a long time afterwards, and will soon enjoy sandwiches or supper whatever you prefer. You will be encouraged to drink as much as you need to, I can not think of any situation that would prevent this, you will feel so much better the more you drink and feel restored and refreshed. 

Once the spinal has worn off, they will give you painkillers depending on what you need, everyone is different, but expect some discomfort, especially the first few days. I was surprised given how major the operation is how little it hurt actually. I opted for paracetamol as you know (for reasons largely beyond my control) and it was completley fine.

Getting up and out of bed in the most positive way will help you feel 'in control', so you need to take the reins is my advice knowing you as I do. Don't hide away hoping they will disappear (they definitely won't!) Tell the PT when they come you are very keen to do cartwheels, humour can make everything feel wonderfully light. I won't lie it will be a little daunting the first foray, but after that you do get used to it very quickly and will soon be zipping up and down, and will be amazed at your progress. My biggest fear was the stairs, but the stairs are actually easy!

After that you are home and it is all over. The true recovery begins when you are at home, in my experience - a little like driving a car! But you will be fine, and positive, comforting thoughts, mindfulness techniques and a can do attitude will get you everywhere with this operation. Think of it as a journey - and at the end is a pain free active life and as you navigate your way through you will surprise yourself with your own strength, I can not tell you how proud I am of my new hip, I tell everyone even now! You will too - we are all here Susie too, remember that.

• Posted

Ps you will cat nap constantly, and will not feel tired, I am not sure why. I never once felt tired until I got home. 

PPS There is no polite way of saying this...but you absolutely must take stool softeners and a very gentle mild laxative that you can trust and does not work too quickly or efficiently - it is far better to work this out before you get to the uncomfortable situation trust me.  You won't be so worried about your hip after your first day or so...but you will really want to ensure you are functioning correctly as almost everyone experiences constipation, and it is not usually 'mild' constipation either... smile 

• Posted

Hi Rose:

​Many thanks for the feedback and the PPS.  I already have purchased the laxative, which us quite "productive!"  I will the other up next time I go to the drug store. 

​The fatigue issue is interesting.  My guess is that it really kicks in once the anaesthesia has worked its way out of the body, and you are at home, and able to relax a little more.

​I will take a few items of entertainment in with me and some good fluids.

​Will post again, on the other side....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.