Post Op Procedures...

Posted , 10 users are following.

My surgery is coming up fast, now - two weeks, tomorrow, and ​I have some questions that I hope the Forum can answer:

​I have arranged transportation to the Clinic and need to be ready to travel by 10:30 a.m., for admission at 12:30 p.m. Surgery scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

​It will be a long day, and I am assuming that I will be kept pretty busy with pre op preparations, meetings with the anaesthetist, and all other interested bods.  By 5:30 p.m., I shall be pretty whacked out, unless there is an opportunity for a snooze.

​When I visited the Clinic for my pre op, the climate control caused me to feel dehydrated and my face flushed up almost immediately.  I am extremley fair skinned, and this is going to be a real problem for me.  The dehydration will be very uncomfortable, and I know that I shall not be permitted to drink so much as a glass of water, several hours before surgery.  I understand why this is, so no problem, just a temporary discomfort.   Fortunately, there are windows that open and can help with the uncomfortable flushing.

​We are catheterized until we make it to the loo independently,  I drink a lot of water and cranberry juice.  I am pretty sure that they will want to ration my fluid intake, as they will not want bags filling up too rapidly and overflowing!  I want to take two or three bottles of water in with me, along with some cranberry juice.  Is this permitted, or is it down to the individual clinic/hospital's guidelines?

​Following surgery, I understand that I shall be back in my room at around 10:00 p.m.  I believe that I read somewhere, that a good night's sleep is out of the question as the nurses will constantly be waking me up to take blood pressure readings, etc.  Is this actually what happens, and approximately how many times during the course of the night is this done? 

​Given that I may well be exhausted the day after surgery, due to the surgery itself and the monitoring, they will be wanting to get me up and mobilized.  The sooner the better, but it will be an ordeal, if I am already tired from an interrupted night.  Will I be given an opportunity to sleep during the day? 

​I want to take a Kindle and my computer in with me, as I am hoping that I will be well enough, at some point, to either read a Kindle book, if there is one that I can access that is sufficiently challenging and interesting.  Otherwise, I am thinking that a good couple of movies or the l967 edition of the Forsyte Saga, will keep me occupied.  Not sure that I will be well enough though, as i am not sure what to expect.  There is no point carrying a lot of equipment to keep me entertained, if I am in no condition to appreciate any of it.

​Reading other posts, it seems that post op condtion can vary enormously from one person to the next, but I am wondering what the mid line experience, is post op? 

​First time up, I understand is using a walker. How many times during the day following surgery do they usually get you up and about?  What is the usual procedure on Day 2 and Day 3?  Day 4 is supposedly the day one is "let out," providing the surgeon is satisfied with progress, etc.

​A lot of questions for the Forum, but it is as well to be as well prepared, as possible, recognising that there a variations from person to person and clinic/hospital practises, as well.

​I have resumed my physio excerises after an hiatus created by the shock of the RBBB finding and the echo, that had me in a state of shock for a month.  So, with any luck, they will help post op as I am trying to stretch the muscles that have atrophied because of the OA, and build more upper body strength with push ups, etc.

​Some feedback would be very much appreciated, although know that some of my questions may be unasnwerable.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Susie, 

Exciting, isn't it ----

Good thinking to take cranberry juice and extra water with you - 

Admitting at 8:30 AM -

no food 6 hours prior admittance

no fluids 2 hours prior admittance

Upon arrival, unpacked my stuff and put on this flattering (not) gown - 

then there is not much to do - if you can snooze, do so - I tried to read a magazine - you can also listen to music of course - and going back and forth to the toilet - 

12:00 noon - rolled to O.R. area  - IV and meds were given (I think -) 

My surgeon  came to welcome me -

1.00 pm brought into OR  - I had GA - so off I went - opened my eyes and it was done - back in room around 4.00PM - got tea and later sandwich -

no catheter but (sigh) needed bed pan -  

Night was uneventful for me - asked for pain meds and dreaded bed pan -

Morning: blood sample taken, blood pressure and taken to x-ray -

the PT came ... no if's and but's here, darling - Had to get out of bed (with her help), stand on operated leg , hold on to the walker and do some steps - tired or not tired ... seems like eternity but is only for a couple of minutes - then I had to sit in (uncomfortable) until lunch time - 

PT came back in afternoon - same on day 3 and 4 where I paraded in hall way - did exercises as showed.

Oh, freedom from bedpan !!! numerous trips to toilet - I also was encouraged to get out of bed and walk around -

Oh, and of course the washing, getting dressed, brushing teeth etc. which I did in very slow motion on day 3  

Now, mind you, it sounds brutal, but I was in such an euphoric state of mind that it seems a miracle to me - both times, Susie !!!!

not much time to snooze - always someone coming with medication, meal, something to drink (coffee - tea etc.) - visitors for roommate or myself

I agree with previos comments -  I could not focus on a book or long movie - magazine (one short article at a time) and some TV - 

This is what I remember and therefor my personal experience and story - 

big warm hug - all will be well - you'll see

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee:

​Many thanks for the info.  It helps a lot in psyching myself up for what is to come. 

​Pre op assessment, the OT was a bully.  I commented on the fact that she was pressurizing me for answers that I simply could not give.  Her response was that it was her job.  I do not respond well to being bullied.  I will cooperate, but I am more used to giving direction, and not being directed.  I will do my best, but if I am pushed beyond my limits, my head goes down and I charge....  (Joking, of course...)  I think there is a fine line between encouragement and bullying, and it should not be crossed as it will alienate the patient.  It is in the patient's interest to cooperate, but there are limits.

​Not sure whether I should take my electric toothbrush or a bog standard one.  Probably best to take both.

​I will make sure that I have quite light weight entertainment with me, a I can well imagine that the brain is a little "dumbed down," following surgery.

Two weeks is going to pass in a flash, and I will post again, when I reach the other side....

​Lots of love to you, dear Renee, for your constancy and support,

Susie

• Posted

Hi Susie,

I don't have much to add to the superb advice above and on Graham's website.

I reacted badly to the anaesthetic, so did not need much beyond visits to kep me occupied.

Once back from the OR, I was encouraged to drink lots and did.

We were asked not to bring any meds with us (even my prescribed ones - these were provided by the hospital).

You might consider bringing a soft washcloth to keep moistened to refresh your face as hospitals tend to be too warm and this refreshes and may help your skin. Re moisturizers .... our hospitals have all become scent - free zones for the benefit of both patients and staff.

I wish you well on this journey. Much of it is up to you (commitment to exercises and diet), but much is outside the control of even the most determined patient (woman or man and my money is on women) to make this journey a success.

So ... I wish you a meticulous surgeon, caring nursing and a determination to do all that you can and the courage to let some things go when they are outside your control.

L

• Posted

Hi susie,

I was admitted for 7am and told becuase I was the youngest wouldn't be done until later. The anethetist came to see me and the consultant and I was allowed two slices of toast and a drink.  I had to put my gown on at 2.30pm and was taken to the room at 3.00pm got back to the ward at 7pm. 

Can't remember a lot, but I was sick with the morphine, they give you anti-sickness stuff, you will have a cannula in for your medications. Also I didn't have stockings, I had the electrical inflatable things for your legs,until the next day, soz cannot remember what they were called. You will also be given injections every day, which you will continue at home for about 30 days in total, to stop blood clots.

I was pretty well zonked out, when physio came for me next day, so did the porter to take me for an x-ray, so didn't get physio that day. I honestly cannot remember how often they came for the tests, but it was quite a lot. Showered each day too.

I had zimmer to start, then walking sticks.

In fact I quite enjoyed it in hospital, bit like Butlins but with pain lol, two lovely ladies in the same room and the staff brilliant, all joking on including the anethetist, made you feel better.

It will soon come around and then you will be  a hippy like us.biggrin

You have to drink plenty and they make sure you do.

I didn't have a catheter, used a bedpan, to start.  If you don't pass a stool, they will give you senokot and stool softners

• Posted

Many thanks.  I think each clinic/hospital has their own methods of treating patients as I have been on the site for quite a few months,and have read differing posts.  Just tyring to get a general idea of what happens post op, but there are so many ariations.  I do know that I will not have the Teds or the anti-coagulant injections, I believe it will in pill or some other form, but will check on that during the week. Injections don't both me, but not sure that I would wish to self inject.

​Will be in a private room, so plenty of opportunity for a quick snooze if needed.  I know that I shall be catheterized, and I will take my own medication in for constipations problems.  They may, or may not, prefer to medicate me themselves, but at least, I shall have it with me.

​Very much a question of wait and see, but I am gaining much better insight into procedures.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.