Post-op tips - Night-time Driving Glare Solutions

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all:)

Thought I would start a thread for tips & solutions people have found after cataract surgery. Maybe others will add their own tips.:)

I found two solutions for night-time driving glare:

1. I found a "night visor" online at Amazon which has a good optic quality, grayish-clear polaroid looking visor that attaches to the normal car visor and flips down below, to provide an equivalent area with glare protection. It's not as dark as normal sunglasses would be at all, but really eliminates most of the glare. (It also has a yellow visor that's supposed to be for daytime, but I don't find it as effective as normal polaroid sunglasses, so rarely use it.)

Here's the Amazon title "Car Windshield Tac Sun Visor Night Anti-Glare - Zone Tech Premium Quality Universal Sunshade and Night Vision Anti-Dazzle Windshield Driving Visor". It cost $15 and was delivered free within 2 days.

Don't try the similar product advertised on TV as the "Battle Visor". They're a scam company, unfortunately. Never delivered product & I had to call my cr cd company to get the charge removed.

2)I add some pale turquoise sunglasses for the 2-lane road to my house, populated with lots of new cars with bright bluish-white LED headlights.

Between the two, I have little problem with glare anymore.:)

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

thank you i also live in an area with 2 lane driving in dark conditions i will search for the torquoise lenses, is there a name brand frame that carries the lense?

• Posted

Hi Julielyn:)

I just got some $10 sunglasses at Walmart. Not great optical quality, but ok for minimal use. I tried the blue relective kind, yellow, etc. This worked best. Once my right eye completes healing, I may get some real night driving glasses (to correct remaining astigmatism) and look for the tint then. Will let you know.

• Posted

sounds good

im left with .50 astigmatism 6 weeks post op. i hope that may improve. my concern is my ski trip in february in flat light or low light conditions, and driving on wet roads with head on led lights. any helpful tips are always welcome 😃

• Posted

Thank you for this tip - I'm ordering the visor today. I've tried the anti-glare/night driving glasses but found that they only tinted everything yellow... lol

• Posted

One thing about the visor - it comes with a very cloudy plastic film on it which is very hard to remove. Would be better if they had a starter tab on one side. Had to scratch along outer edge to get the peel started.

• Posted

You can also try the new eye drops called Lumify that are available now in the US without a prescription. They have a low dose of brimonidine, the same drops you can get at a stronger strength with a prescription to help with night driving glare issues.

• Posted

I forgot to add that Lumify is marketed as an eye whitener, not specifically for night glare.

• Posted

And if anyone tries it and it works for you, I suggest you only use it when absolutely necessary since it has the preservative BAK in it and that's not good for your eyes (I think it would be okay to use occasionally though).

• Posted

prescription brimonidine tartrate 0.2% works great for me.

lumify is 0.025% and single drip does not work.

0.1% and 0.15% is Alphagan.

• Posted

I used to have the glare problem during the night-time driving a couple of weeks after my surgeries earlier this year. So frustrated at that time and did a lot of research trying to find a solution. I avoided driving at night for a while until the daylight saving time ended a while back (now I have to drive in the dark off work). To my surprise, the glare problem is totally gone now. I guess your eyes will heal and change overtime. Good luck!

• Posted

how long after the surgeries was your glare gone?

• Posted

I had my surgeries in the end of March and early April this year. I only drove a few times during the night in April/May since I could not bear the glare especially from the rear-view mirrors.

I discovered I had no such issue until early November this year when I had to drive during the night time.

• Posted

One more thing that helps with night glare in general, even while the cataract is the cause - Vitamin A supplements. It's related to creating something called "visual purple" which is important for night vision in general. I doubled my daily Vitamin A supplements a few months before surgery as the glare was intense. I expect to be able to decrease it again eventually.:)

Good to research Vitamin A in relation to Vitamin D.

• Posted

Does that come with a slider piece ?

I found a visor that has a slider piece and I use both the day and night visors together with the sliders so the light has to travel though 4 lenses before it gets to your eye for maximum reduction of glare

• Posted

No, Mike, it doesn't have a slider but the day & night visors rotate, so can be used together.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.