Post prolapse surgery travel expectations

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I'm needing to travel 5 hours for my prolapse surgery, and so needing to travel 5 hours home after I leave hospital. Has anyone had to travel within the first week? What was the pain like? Getting very nervous for surgery next week! Thanks!

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How long do you expect to be in hospital? A couple of nights at least I’d hope, I only had a 30 mins journey 2 days after surgery, that was long enough.

Make you are stocked up with pain relief and get as comfortable in the car as possible, have a cushion or similar on your tummy, between you and seatbelt.

• Posted

My surgery is on Tuesday they expect to discharge me by Thursday or Friday. I will have 3 kids in the car back seat so I can't even lay my seat down far! Is it internal stitches pain or is there outside sitting pain too? Maybe they can give me something stronger just for the drive home? Or knock me out would be Good!

• Posted

Couldn’t someone stay at home with the kids?

Apart from not been able to stretch out a little,  you really don’t need the chatter and noise of 3 very bored kids on a 5 hour journey?

Why such a long journey, whereabouts in the world are you?

• Posted

Regional Aus travelling to the city for the surgery. I'm not rural and do have after care here but the length of the journey worries me. I'm wondering if the pain of the journey will outweigh the mental pain of staying away from home! I could fly but not sure about nausea or being able to climb the steps? It is only a 45 min flight

• Posted

That is a heck of a long time to be sat in a car after leaving hospital! I totally agree with the other comments, dose yourself up for the journey.

I understand you have no choice but I think it is too long for you. Sorry!

• Posted

I had a 4 he journey to my chosen consultant and it was completely fine. I guess I was very lucky with not much pain just cramps. It was well worth the trip to see my consultant of choice.. So worth it.
    • Posted

Absolutely worth the travel to chosen consultant! It seems so much trouble some days but I keep reminding myself it's worth it! I so hope I'm one of the lucky ones! Dreading it very much. Did you have a donut or cushion to sit on? How often/Long did you stop?

• Posted

I can stay but it will be stressful staying in a small house with 3 kids, I'm keen to get home to our own environment! Especially if I am in pain and not coping with the little things. I could fly but I don't think I could climb the steps up to the plane and down again at the other end? It is only a 45 min flight. Also I'm not sure how I would go if it makes me nauseous, I'm imagining throwing up being verrry painful!!

• Posted

No doubt just a soft cushion and a fleece blanket. I stopped every hour to work my legs. That's the most important thing. I took paracetamol and was fine.glad to get home though and lay out on sofa.x

• Posted

We have just moved the sofa bed into the lounge room in preparation for my return home from hospital, I wish it was over already! Did you have a donut cushion or just a regular cushion?
  • Posted

I've had 3 ops in London and travelled by train to and from Scotland. I was in hospital for 3 days and then stayed in a hotel a night or two. My mum accompanied me for help and support. She arranged mobility assistance at both Euston and Glasgow Central which was great as the thought of negotiating the super busy/fast paced stations filled me(and secretly my mum) with fear. We chose to travel first class to ensure food/drinks to the table and close to toilet. I wouldn't say it was an overly pleasant experience personally due to pain/nausea and very low emotional state. Make sure you have loose, comfy clothes on regardless how you travel and keep medication close to hand.

• Posted

That is a hectic journey! I could fly, but it is a small plane so no first class but I guess because it's small the loo is never far away! I'm not sure I could climb the stairs on and off the plane though? What mobility assistance was available? Like a wheelchair through the airport? Did you have a donut or cushion to sit on?

• Posted

Hi Tam - wow!  Five hours is a really long trip for post this sgy.  I know we all do whatever we have to do to get through - but if there is any way you can at least have the little ones cared for by someone you trust - that would at least allow you a spot to get more comfortable with pillows, wedges and meds.  I wish you all the best!  I had a 1.5 hour trip home and remember saying to my hubby how barbaric it was to have a 2+ hour sgy and travel home just hours later.  It was NOT pleasent.  
    • Posted

Hours later omg you poor thing!! I have 3 kids and we will be staying with family that don't have kids, and it is a very small house, so I will be a little more stressed in that environment than in my own home if you know what I mean. Plus a few other little things that will add to that. Don't get me wrong I am grateful for the accommodation but when you're in that amount of pain you just want to be home! I can stick it out if I need to, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to lol I could fly, approx 45 mins but I feel like take off and landing will be rough and it is expensive. It's seeming more like the better option at the moment though

• Posted

And how will I go climbing stairs to the plane and off the plane because it's a regional flight, only a small plane!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.