Post prolapse surgery travel expectations

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I'm needing to travel 5 hours for my prolapse surgery, and so needing to travel 5 hours home after I leave hospital. Has anyone had to travel within the first week? What was the pain like? Getting very nervous for surgery next week! Thanks!

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi ta m

Yes me I had to travel 4 heavy my chosen consultant then home after surgery on day 3. I stopped every hour to stretch my legs and use loo. It's was completely fine with a cushion. I had tvh and anterior repair. I had no pain but was very nervous in the car.. It was much better than I thought.. My consultant said it would be fine.x

• Posted

Oh this gives me hope! The doc said to stay in the city minimum of a week after surgery, it was too long to be sitting in one position. Quite a few have said it is painful to sit, did you have a donut cushion or just a regular soft cushion? Did you feel like you needed to lay down at All? How long were your stops For?
    • Posted

I had a soft cushion to sit on and it was fine. I just tilted my chair back slightly but not right back. I stopped for about 15/20 mins just to work my legs and have a wee if needed. I'm sure after a week you will be fine to travel.. Take meds before you leave and have plenty of water .xx

• Posted

Hi Tam

When I travelled home on day 4  I was given morphine slow release by the hospital and travelled with the passenger seat on lay back position. Not entirely safe but ... I had only been lying during my hospital stay and not sitting as I didn’t want any pressure on sutured areas. I also continued to not sit for about 6 to 8 weeks.

I think if you have a cystocele and enterocele or bladder repair there is a lot of abdominal pressure when you sit on tissue trying to heal in this area.  

Wishing all the best for you 

I took in a short hair lamb skin fleece .. was the best thing! 

• Posted

6 to 8 weeks is a long time not to sit! Was that a doc reccommendation or is it painful to sit? The doc has advised it's too long to sit in one position and that regular stops are needed to move around, I am dreading so much!! I could take a flight approx 45 mins instead it is seeming more and more like a valid option although is expensive

• Posted

Did anyone struggle with nausea after the first few days? And is it possible to climb a small flight of steep steps on a plane?
  • Posted

Hi Tam,

a bit of nausea in the first few days is not uncommon as the anesthesia and sometimes the pain meds can leave one feeling a bit queasy.  Make sure to mention any concerns you have to the physicians and anesthesiologist as they have medications that can help with this.  As for the steps - I had to climb 14 steps just about 4 hours or so after my surgery.  I needed a bit of help and had to go slow, but I made it.  The drive home for me was a little over one hour - so found that I had to lean the seat back and sort of sit on the side of my hip.  I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery!  Please just remember this does take time to heal - so give yourself the permission to rest and allow healing to happen.

• Posted

Is it uncomfortable to sit as in pressure feeling or stitches? I didn't realise there would be so many! I'm suddenly feeling so unprepared! I'm keen to get back to my own environment to relax and recover but we have been advised to stay for a minimum of a week post surgery. Then I think I will need to fly? I might still be in too much pain to drive by the sounds

• Posted

Hi Tam,

A piece of advice someone shared on here that is VERY accurate:  lying down as much as possible the first weeks is best...reclining is better than sitting and sitting is better than standing.  If you wanted to play it safe - planning for a few days in a hotel would be wise if you are able.  Then if you are feeling that you could make the car trip sooner than a week - you can always head home.  

Main things you need to know include - plan on just a few VERY comfy outfits as you really are not going to feel up to changing very often.  I found that I showered every few days and that wore me out.  Make sure you are able to have easy access to a bathroom and if you have anything that is equivalent to the height/use of a “squatty potty” - that really helps with easy positioning for BMs.  You will want to have plenty of Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Mirilax and Colace.  A good bedside container for water, good books and easy comfort type foods that will nourish your body as you heal.  If you don’t know what a squatty potty is (I did not until reading these sites) - look it up on google.  Once I saw what size it was - I simply am using an upside down basket of about the same height.  You will not believe the difference it makes in aiding to get your body in the proper position for a BM - who knew?!!!

I am almost four weeks out and STILL find it uncomfortable to sit for long.  But that is to be expected...just plan to be kind to yourself and know that this healing will take time - many women are saying that it can take 12 weeks or more.  But they are also saying that they feel the sgy was worth it for the improved quality of life.  I hope that is the case for you (and me)!  Take Care and good luck on your sgy! Xx

• Posted

Lol 😂 squatty potty! Not heard them called that but heard of something similar suggested for children toilet training!

• Posted

Hah! I know!!! smile.  I couldn’t believe it when I read it - but thought heck - what could it hurt to try something that placed my feet at that height and what do you know?...it works!  I think one of the reasons I gave it any credence is that I had read some info from a PT in Australia on this topic while researching POP pre-op.  She had talked about proper positioning - and I was amazed there even was such a thing!  Well, at the end of the day - I am just so relieved to no longer have to be a contortionist to use the bathroom that I am totally willing to keep something like this in my restroom.  Once I am able to be out and about - I will keep my eye open for something that is aesthetically modest and more long-term than my basket...but for now just grateful it works! smile. Wishing all of you squatting happiness smile Lol!
    • Posted

Yes it works well for children as obviously naturally their little legs will be dangling from an adult height toilet so it means it raises their feet and have something to (gently!) push their feet against!!
    • Posted

I think the point of the support in this instance is that it anatomically positions your internal organs in a manner that PREVENTs one from having to strain at all - which is so important for those of us with rectoceles.  If we are straining more than it would take to blow out a candle - then we could potentially do damage to our repairs - especially during healing.  I have found that this position actually allows me to “let it happen” for the most part.  I am and still will use the colace and Mirilax for the foreseeable future due to my own physiologic situation - but think had I known about this sooner - perhaps may not have had a Rectocele or at least not one that had progressed to needing surgery.  While comical - I have to admit this is very utilitarian and info I personally will make sure to share in case it helps others.
    • Posted

Ahh I see what you mean, kind of opposite of what children need but works in a different way, what a versatile piece of equipment!
  • Posted

PS:  the feeling when sitting is both pressure and discomfort...relief is only achieved in a lateral position.  AND - I forgot to mention a VERY important item for the early days - some sort of ice pack that you can use in your perineal area.  I bought several gel type ice packs - rectangle shaped and the size of an overly large maxi pad.  I kept them in the freezer and would wrap in a thin towel and use on the outside of my pad and thin lounge pants.  The cold would seep through and was a great comfort.  I find I am still using them when I overdo.  
    • Posted

Hahaha I have the foot stool my physio recommended it way back at the beginning but I've never heard it be called a squatty potty!! It's great haha. This I'm very nervous about too, everything needs to be moving excessively well with the rectocele so when they fix that kink..... What happens then?! Not looking forward to that either! Hopefully that will settle before the journey home! I'm going to miss cuddling my babies :'( when did you find abdominal pain subsided to have a littley on your lap? Lots of laying down cuddles!! I think the hotel will be the way to go, hope I can find something that doesn't cost too much!

• Posted

Hi Tam,

Deep Breaths...this is all going to be ok.  My pre-op instructions included telling me to routinely take the Mirilax each AM - one capful or pouch...and also to take each PM if needed.  Also was told to take 1-2 colace tablets at night.  This will help counteract the pain meds and will also along with plenty of water, ensure your system stays moving.  The LAST thing you want to do is become constipated!  If you are having your sgy transvaginal -  you should be able to get your gentle cuddles in fairly soon.  My grandson who is 3yo snuggled almost immediately and I was able to “hold” my granddaughter while laying on my side as well.  I of course had to have someone with me and do the lifting - but the snuggles felt so good!  I didn’t really have abdominal pain at all.  It was mainly pressure, discomfort and aching b/t my legs.  Sometimes would burn - but ice packs helped along with the meds.  I hope you let us know how you did once you are up to visiting the board - take care!

• Posted

I think I'd better find some of these ice packs! I had them after birth in the hospital for stitches & they were great, hopefully I can get some at the chemist! I'm glad to see a story of more pressure than pain, I'm almost having second thoughts! The closer it gets the more worried I get! I'm so glad I found this place though, there is so little support for prolapse thank you so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.