Post prolapse surgery travel expectations

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All, I'm needing to travel 5 hours for my prolapse surgery, and so needing to travel 5 hours home after I leave hospital. Has anyone had to travel within the first week? What was the pain like? Getting very nervous for surgery next week! Thanks!

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you to all that have been replying, I suddenly feel so uninformed & overwhelmed! I will get a few less nasty surprises now!

• Posted

You will be fine!!! I had a 4 hour drive home with my husband and was very nervous. It really was so much better than I thought. I had vaginal hysterectomy and anterior repair so I had a lot of internal stitches. Home on day 3.???🙋🙋🙋🙋 tea and hugs will be waiting for you when you get home🙏🙏🙏xx

• Posted

I'm having all 3 repaired, front back & hysterectomy, I'm checking out of hospital on day 3 if all is going ok but then another 4days plus being away from home. Hopefully I'll be managing pain ok enough to come home then! Thanks for being here!!!

• Posted

Have you had the op yet?

Hope all went well/goes well if not, let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hooray I am finally post-op!! Cannot explain the relief of not dreading it anymore!! However now in its place is some nausea and pain lol I'm going ok, I'm day 3 post and I'm hoping to be able to step back from the really strong pain killers because they are making me nauseous. Still quite a bit of pressure and pain but it's not as bad as I thought it would be! Will Definitley be flying home, the 5 minute drive from hospital to hotel was enough torture let alone 5 hours.

• Posted

Glad it’s gone well and recovery not as bad as you thought-it often isn’t as bad as the worry and stress about it often makes it seems worse.
  • Posted

Hi Tam,

so glad your op went well!  Now comes the hard part of being kind, good, and patient with and to yourself!  We are here for you if you need us. 

• Posted

Will be long and slow but I will get there ? can't wait to be back to myself! How far post op are you all now?

• Posted

Hi Tam,

i am 5 weeks post op.  Can tell a positive difference as each week goes by. Still not functioning at full capacity by any means, but healing. Hope your trip home goes well for you!

• Posted

5 weeks seems so soon yet so far! I'm glad you say everything is not functioning at full capacity yet, my surgeon asked if I felt like things were emptying ok the day after my catheter was taken out! That made me worry it should be! It's still hard to establish a wee & keep it going, could be swelling & pain reflex? He was very happy with how the op went so I'm assuming all will be ok in time. BM are fairly good now, other than a bruising feeling when I go.

• Posted

I still do not have a urine stream like pre-op. I will feel the urge to go, but the stream can either be much weaker and slower than what i would expect...or it will start/stop multiple times throughout the void. Sometimes i think i am finished...only for a moderate stream to restart with a minor position change. All very strange!  I wonder if it has to do with residual swelling/inflammation related to healing, but also worry as it makes me concerned about urinary retention.  I plan to discuss with my uro/gyn at my six week visit.  In the meantime, just trying to learn some patience and try to relax so i can fully empty.  Hope you continue to do well!
    • Posted

I’m the same, tho flow is mostly normal, I stop, jiggle around and have loads more!

It’s caught me out before when I’ve got up too early!!

• Posted

That's a relief! I'm going to see him tomorrow before I make my journey home & will mention it. For the first time today I had to stand by helplessly while my baby screamed & my husband was in the toilet 😭 she is in a portacot on the floor so i couldnt do anything!! She was just tired & needed a cuddle, it's not like there was anything terribly wrong but omg my poor heart Was breaking!! This is going to be a very long 12 ish weeks 😭

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.