Post recovery .... People with plates and screws.

Posted , 77 users are following.

Does anyone with plates and screws ever feel like they are pinching or biting your ankle?   I get these sharp bites feeling a couple times a day.   Pushing on it helps.   I am almost 2 years post injury.  

Also so still swells really badly when on feet a lot.  Still????  This pic is of my swelling recently.   

1 like, 124 replies

124 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have an old injury about 10 years ago I have a rod going down leg with screws in ankle ..one screw seems like it’s pertruding but I’m 47 yrs old maybe my skin is just thinner ? ,should I worry about it ...it feels fine....could use advice can’t take unnecessary time off work ....thanks
    • Posted

I’m not a medical professional, I can only say as a person who also has screws in her leg ankle that if you see your hardware protruding you should get it looked at. I have seen pictures online where it has actually gone through the skin, it’s better to be safe.
    • Posted

I had two broken lower legs from a car hitting me. I am three and a half months post . I have plates and pins in each leg. I am starting to walk with a walker. my ankles swell up very bad. how long did your ankles continue to swell as you practiced walking again?

• Posted

I also had two broken ankles but it was 13 months ago. I still swell especially in the afternoon. I use beige colored ankle braces to squeeze back the swelling and it helps, also good arch support.

GOOD luck

• Posted

I broke one ankle and the other foot had 2 avulsion fractures. I have a plate on the fibula and 2 screws in the tibia. Right now I am mostly walking with a walker but trying to walk a little without it. It has been a little over 2 months since surgery.

The swelling is worst with full weight bearing on the broken ankle side. Other side doesn't swell much at all. The swelling seems to be getting better the stronger that foot and ankle get. Also, walking in a pool has helped a lot. The exercises that seem to help the most are the toe raises, the Theraband in all directions and picking up marbles with my toes.

• Posted

I hope you had your hardware removed. I'm not a doctor, but I'm a medical coder and look at x rays all day. You can see that at least 2 if not 3 of the screws are protruding from the bone. That will make you hurt! So, did you have your hardware removed?

• Posted

No but I’m going for an xray
  • Edited

I'll be 2 years out from surgery in October... I still have a ton of pain and I don't know what to do. I wish I never had this surgery.

• Edited

OMG... So glad I came across this had 2 metal plates and 8 screws put in when I completely broke my bone that connects my foot and ankle in 2015 Doctor suggested I have it removed as some people bodies do start rejecting metal. Wish I would've listened current situation foot wrapped in ice packs with icy hot pain has gotten so bad was literally crawling on my hands and knees can't walk on my foot at this time can't get in to my orthopaedic surgeon who did my surgery until May 25 pain is excruciating I have no ideal how I will manage with this pain until then I may have to request to see someone else the shooting pain feels lime a burning fire under my skin and the cramping is even worse...😣😣😥😥😢😢😭😭

• Posted

So sorry your in so much painI have a plate and 8 screws and 2 more big screws on other other side of the ankle im post 20 years and im in pain every day all day long ive tried everything . burning also. Im at the point I need to do something? So have you had the hardware removed?

• Posted

I'm wondering how long the recovery is after getting your plates and screws taken out I'm having mine done on the 23rd and yes I know exactly what you mean because when I walk it feels like if I like walking distance it feels like that the meat is ripping off of my bone but I'm not near as swollen as you your pictures show that you are

• Posted

Hello. How did your removal of hardware go? I'm thinking about getting mine removed.

• Posted

Stephanie96027- did you have your hardware removed? If so, how is the recovery? 

I am 5 month’s post ankle surgery with plates and screws and I swear I can feel them in my ankles (2 places) and I feel the biting and pinching and pain from themstill and swelling and I feel like they are hindering my recovery. I would really like to get them removed but want more info first. 

Also does anyone know what the window of time is to get plates removed? 

• Posted

Bad news for all who kept surgical hardwares in them.. I am 13 years post surgery and the pain is still hunting me. 

Mine was a fractured bone of my feet and 7 screws and a metal plate was inserted. My doctor told me i can either choose to remove or keep them in there after my fractured has recover, and since I was not keen on going through another surgery so I opt to leave them there. 

And here I am, regretting my choice every now and then. Because of the hardwares I can’t wear all nice looking shoes and lately it’d worsen n I can’t put weigh on my feet at all. And there is no solution for me cause the hardwares have been there for so long, I won’t even have a chance of retrieving them out anymore. Guess I ll have to live with it but those of you who have freshly inserted hardwares, pls do yourself a favor, remove them promptly after you are done with your recovery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.