Post recovery .... People with plates and screws.

Posted , 77 users are following.

Does anyone with plates and screws ever feel like they are pinching or biting your ankle?   I get these sharp bites feeling a couple times a day.   Pushing on it helps.   I am almost 2 years post injury.  

Also so still swells really badly when on feet a lot.  Still????  This pic is of my swelling recently.   

1 like, 124 replies

124 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi hi I'm just I just seen your post back when I had mine hardware removed it would feel like my bone was popping out of my skin when I would try to walk on it and I told my doctor and Stephen when they looked at my x-rays they could see that the hardware was going into my bone so they remove the hardware and now everything is been just fine so I would definitely recommend having it removed

• Posted

In Jan/19 I had the hardware taken out of my left foot and a 3-4 " pin in my big toe....it did not straighten from the last surgery in 2016. The skin is still tender on top of my foot and I still have to be careful of not going on my toes. I am thankful that the big bump from the hardware is now gone. My foot still swells up....I call it Fluffy. I am glad I had it done, its going to be worth it.

Anyone know when the swelling will settle down???

• Posted

I also had hardware removed out of my left ankle (2 plates and 11 screws) . It's been almost 7 weeks since the surgery and my ankle still swells as well. I wear a compression sock to manage the swelling. My Dr. said give it from 3 to 6 months for everything to heal ( swelling, holes in bones to fill in, etc...) . So by the time the summer gets here, you should be fine, barring any un-forseen circumstances. I'm so glad i had it removed as well. Healing takes time, but hopefully by June, you should ok. Good Luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the insight on this swelling.....I should be parking my butt and putting my foot up more often.....but you get busy and forget...until relax time at night and there is this football of a foot staring back at you.

Here's to both of us having a good summer, I may consider a pair of sandals, have not worn them for a very very long time.

• Posted

only about 45 minutes for the amount of hardware i had (11 screws and 2 plates)

• Posted

Hello I went in search of post op surgical plate pain and landed here. I read so many things that describe exactly how I feel. Broke my fibula 12/22/18 and had surgery 12/28/18. One plate and 5 screws. 13 wks post op and i still have one spot on my incision that won’t heal completely. The doctor said maybe it’s a knot in the stitches trying to come out that didn’t dissolve. I do not feel that way. there’s so much pain in that area still even with physical therapy I feel like I should be much further along. The burning and stabbing pains are so frustrating. Also all around my ankle bone it feels stuck. I cant turn it or rotate my foot. As it feels like its pulling or tearing. My PT feels like it is very well a hardware issue. I see my doctor Tuesday and I'm thinking I will ask to remove it. Does anyone know how long you typically have to wait after surgery to remove the hardware? TIA!

• Posted

Oh Vickie, sounds like a mess, LOL. I know that feeling all too well. I'm not sure if you are healed enough to have the hardware removed yet. When I broke my ankle 12/9/17, had surgery 12/25/17, i had one screw removed for fear that it may break on 4/17/18. I had alot more hardware than you though (2 plates and 12 screws). I had all the hardware removed this past January 22, 2019. So i waited a little over a year to make sure i was completely healed before having the hardware removed, and i feel sooooo much better!!!! But it is another surgery and i am still healing from the inside, and I still have some minor swelling as well. But maybe 3 mths post op may be enough time but I think healing from that surgery this soon may make matters worse. Of course check with your dr, but if you remove the hardware too soon, you may not heal properly. I wish you the best though, it's a horrible situation to be in. I NEVER want to go through anything like that again!!!!!

• Posted

i was told two weeks on crutches for recovery from removali didnt do it i am now about 5 yr after and the pinchy pain stoppedi still get sore and swell if i stand on it too much

• Posted

I had my metal work taken out 18mths after surgery because of than and discomforts. This has made no difference at all pain wise. The only thing that's different is the fact that you can't see the pins moving and sticking out of my skin. I have burning and feels like it's on fire as soon as my foot is covered. Still getting loads of stabbing pains. Think it would be easier if the foot was taken off most days 😢

• Posted

thank you for getting back to me ! It does feel like a bit of a mess! I will talk to my doctor and see what he thinks. My PT I think's I would be healed enough 4-6 mo post op. So I would still have a little bit longer. But this is driving me nuts! Glad your on your way to being healed !! Helps to know that there could be an end in site for me 😃

• Posted

i am at 6 weeks post op, plates and screws does anyone know if the burning sensation on skin is normal? it is so uncomfortable and just hurts so much at times. and does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do to ease this pain? and does it ever go away? thanks

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

i will be at 4 months post op with plates and screws and still feel the burning sensation. I don't know if the pain ever goes away, but it is very annoying. I try to elevate my foot on a pillow with a thin fresh cotton pillow case . I put the burning side down and sometimes the slight pressure seems to sooth that area. Moisturizing it with cream might also help and when all else fails, reach for some Tylenol or Advil. It absolutely sucks! I sure hope it gets better within a short period of time because I can't live this way either!

• Posted

Good luck, I feel your pain. Unfortunately I think we're screwed.

• Posted

I'm 2 1/2 yrs dwn the line and STILL have burning all over the top of my foot and my toes are so bad. Covering them when in bed with duvet is hell, so have to keep my foot outside of quilt. Still walk with a very bad limp and cannot walk far because of pain. So fed up with it all. 😢

• Posted

13 weeks in tib fracture six fixations, dislocation.

Getting there pain is a lot less some itching I found skin cream helps.

Next xray jan15 fealing quite good now quite a tough one.

But can honestly say fealing better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.