Post recovery .... People with plates and screws.

Posted , 77 users are following.

Does anyone with plates and screws ever feel like they are pinching or biting your ankle?   I get these sharp bites feeling a couple times a day.   Pushing on it helps.   I am almost 2 years post injury.  

Also so still swells really badly when on feet a lot.  Still????  This pic is of my swelling recently.   

1 like, 124 replies

124 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, on Jan 29th, 2019, I slipped on ice and my foot slid into the curb. Needless to say I heard a pop and tried to get inside my Jeep but I couldn't move. I looked down and seen that my foot looked like it was about to fall off, literally. The impact forced my foot to dislocate and I suffered a trimalleolar fracture with subluxation and a spiral fracture to my fibula. My bone shattered into multiple pieces. While in the ER an OD tried a closed reduction, while I was consciously sedated. That didn't work very well. I was admitted to the surgery unit and the following day my OD came to talk to me and get me ready for surgery that afternoon. He told me that my fracture was not only the worst one possible but it was the worst one he'd ever seen. That afternoon I went to the OR to have another closed reduction done and a new splint specially made. I was discharged the following evening. I had an open reduction done on February 7th 2019. He placed a plate and 8-12 screws on the outside of my leg and 2 screws on the inside. I was non weight bearing and stuck on the couch for 4 months. At the end of April I was able to start therapy. Everything was going okay, until last week. I feel like I have twisted my ankle or something. I've had pain, stiffness, some swelling and weird sensations. Especially when it's storming, I feel like I have this electrical current running up the plate to my inner ankle. Since last week tho, the pain and swelling has gotten worse and it feels like the screws on my inner ankle have shifted or something. When I touch it, it feels numb and strange. There is a gap that hasn't been there. I go for a check up on the 1st so I'm trying to wait until then to say anything because I have to have another xray done anyway. Should I go ahead and call? I don't want to seem like I'm freaking out about it but I am.

• Edited

Hi Natava

I sent a message last year describing my experiences after i broke my left ankle on both sides in a freak accident in Junec2016.

I have been following many others comments & descriptions but just want to tell you that almost 3 yrs post surgery after an awful 18 mths of pain, swelling & learning to walk again I am in a better situation than i ever thought possible!

My PT had told me that one needs 3 yrs for everything to heal properly & for the hardware implants to feel almost normal. I still have physical therapy once every 4-6 weeks to alleviate the swelling - i think this will always be the case due to my lifestyle work & family obligations. My only regret is that i did not have the hardware removed after 18 months although my surgeon did an excellent job & my ankle has 90% mobility - i thought i would never run for a bus ever again! However i cannot do Pilates like i did 3 yrs ago 😞

It appears that the hardware reacts to different climates (cold or hot weather) but the worst climate is humid where i feel aching & stiffness.

I guess what i am trying to say is that you either live with the hardware or if you can have it removed. No one can ever be 100% again but quality of life does return @ some point sooner or later.

would live to hear from anyone going onto 5 yrs post surgery....

• Posted

Hi Patoulli,

Is 18 months post surgery the recommended time to have the hardware removed, and is it too late for you now?

• Posted

Hi Franca13

From what I am told 3 yrs post surgery is pretty much game over for removal of hardware.

Up to 18. months max or before is better.

But seriously3 yrs on I feel so much better.

• Posted

Wow. That's great to hear. I am so nervous about all of this; taking out or leaving in the hardware. Either is a nightmare. I just hope that neither is complicated should I choose one or the other and that I can live pain free.

• Posted

this is true unless your body starts showing signs of rejecting or infection in the area of the hardware location. it will be 2 1/2 years and a month ago I was in hospital for cellulitis on my left ankle which is the home of 3 plates and 14 screws. Now I have an appt to see my orth surgeon to have hardware removed and I have been advised of the high risk portion but there are some circumstances hardware can be removed in around and after 3 year mark. I know it's highly not recommended but in my circumstances it is.

• Posted

My Ortho surgeon has told me that you can remove the hardware at anytime. Even 10 years later, maybe things are different here in Canada.

• Posted

Posted a moment ago

My Ortho surgeon has told me that you can remove the hardware at anytime. Even 10 years later, maybe things are different here in Canada.

• Posted

Hi Franca i am just seeing ur message! Thank u for informing. My surgeon told me that titanium implants dont need to be removed but after 3 yrs & frequent biting pain followed by PT sessions he agreed to removing them!

However i have read many articles on removing implants in which half the patients were pleased they did but the other half went on to have further complications e.g. nerve damage. Its v scary and i am reluctant to go under the knife again since i feel 85% recovered.

• Posted

All I'm saying is that there is no deadline to have the hardware removed. If you feel a lot better; wait it out until it is no longer bearable. It is always an option.

• Posted

i hope im not too off subject, after surgery (last year) my toes get extremely cold & especially on our tile floor. im constantly wearing heat holders socks on one foot. (fibula break near ankle, plate & screws & tendon repair) does anyone else experience the same?

thanks

• Posted

I am. 25 years with pins and plates in my ankle and I'm having trouble walking on it it feels almost broken again anybody have that trouble ?

• Posted

hi ..i had surgery 23 years ago and it hurts when I walk on it or touch the side of my ankle with pins and plates

• Posted

i am 2 years out and had both ankles broke on a var accident. the right has 2 screws that constantly pulls nerve on opposite side of ankle The LEFT HAD 2 PLATES AND 16 SCREWS.i had 1 plate and 8 screws removed after 1 year and felt immediate relief .but the other plate and 8 screws on the other side ( which i thought i cpuld not feel at all ) is constantly swelling .o see him next week and may ask to get the plate and screws out

• Posted

Hi. I dislocated and broke my ankle both sides over 2 1/2 years ago. Pins and plates both sides. I had lots of problems with the puns n plates so had them taken out last August 2018. Hoping this would help with pain and swelling. I'm still not able to walk without a bad limp, can't walk far because of the pain. The only thing that has changed is the swelling, it still swells but no where near as much as it did. Most days I can honestly say I would rather have my foot off than constantly have to put up with the pain. The numbness across the top of my foot and toes 3 and 4 gets my so dwn. 😢😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.