Post-shingles Itch! How long does it take to recover from the itch?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have recently recovered from Shingles and the itch is now quite persistent (3 weeks now). I do understand that there are varying treatments to counter this issue and from what I know, they only help with the itch temporarily. Does it mean that I will have to live with the itch for the rest of my life or will it stop after a while / or if there are any medications that can permanently stop the itch, any help is appreciated!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had shingles since Nov last year and still have an itch around my eye and the only thing that gives me any relife is E45 Anti Itch cream but just be carful not to get it in your eyes ,As for the time it takes I'm afraid it can take months.SORRY!!!!

• Posted

Months? More like years, I have had this for over 2 years now and it's getting very depressing, my eye is sore and itchy every day!

• Posted

I sympathize with you! I've had 6 bouts of Shingles since January 2016! I also have some itching afterwards but luckily it's not as severe as yours. I just live with it. My face pain is a worse problem, and it persists for a few months. This time I think the nerve between the top of my nose and my eye was affected. I am now considering getting the vaccine. Merry Juliana mentioned a new vaccine, I wonder if it's approved yet. She would know about treatment for the itching. I'm sorry I don't know that, I think others here will have good advice. Hope it subsides soon!

• Posted

Hi Elsabe!

Shingrex has been approved and is available in the US and Canada. I believe it is available in the UK, but do not know the restrictions. ie age,

co-payments. Some individuals have had a marked decrease in their symptoms. Remember, it is two injections, spaced at least one month apart. Your arm will be sore and red, and most people feel aches and pains and have a low grade fever.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I am just ending my third round since June 2015. My first was of course the worst, however even though the itching is no where near as terrible, it is still present.

I have found that Frankincense oil helped the itching and seemed to speed up the healing of the rash. I also have found that the anit-itch polysporine also gives some relief. I am wanting to get the vaccine, but my doctor said to wait one year from the time of the breakout to get it. I had the second breakout 9 months after the first and the third breakout 10 months after. I need to know if you can have the vaccine at perhaps 6 months after the breakout....??? Anyone out there know anything about this. Also I do take large doses of Lysine, and eat healthy, but what I battle with is the major fatigue....it has been extremely debilitating. Good luck, and best wishes to everyone out there who is suffering.

• Posted

Only 3 weeks? i have had itching of my eye and forehead for almost a year! I got shingles at the end of March 2016 on my head, forehead and eye, ( worst place to get shingles!) but the itching  was worse when the shingles had gone, as I had complications PHN, and my eyelid and eye still itch every single day at various times of the day, which makes them very sore, even the Drs at the eye clinic can't say when this will stop , sometimes within months or years apparently, I just have to learn to live with it now., i have a scar on the cornea of my eye but luckily it is not in the centre so my vision is ok and that was my biggest worry.I hope things get better for you soon

• Posted

Oh my goodness! Poor you. I feel much more grateful for having had it on my back/torso/stomach. When it returns, it is on my buttocks, with only a small surface area rash, however the fatigue is mind boggling. However, nothing like what you are going through!  I have tried the no gluten and no dairy diet for a bit last year and I do think I felt much better. Have you tried that? and try Vitimin B12 shots. The Lysine really does help as well. Good Luck, I sure hope you get some relief soon.
    • Posted

Thank you, some days are not so bad, I find that putting a small amount of antihistamine cream helps too. It's just unlucky to get the complications, I think most people are over it after a few weeks. I was told that it is unusual for it to return and yet there are quite a few people on here who keep getting it!

• Posted

Hi wew

Sorry it took so long to respond to your post...I am traveling these next few days and just saw your post.

First, I am so sorry that you have Herpes Zoster-Shingles. You didn't mention the location of the itch, your age, and any other medical conditions.

Cool compresses will help relieve the itching by contracting the blood vessels to the area. Heat, hot showers will make it worse. Rubbing or scratching the area will cause inflammation and only worsen the itching and might cause a secondary bacterial infection.

If not contraindicated, try an antihistamine such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine).

Topical hydrocortisone 1% over the itching may help. Some of the individuals also find that creams containing Lidocaine or Benzocaine with the highest percentage help when applied over the skin area. I use Benzocaine ear drops when I have recurrent Herpes Zoster-Shingles every three to five weeks in my right ear for the past twenty years, which helps reduce the neuropathic pain and itching.

Hopefully, you are not suffering from too much fatigue with your episode. Usually, Physicians fail to mention this major problem regarding Herpes Zoster-Shingles.

Most people do not have long term itching from Herpes Zoster-Shingles, but the time to treat it is now, so that it does not become Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Mary I am 4 weeks into shingles on my face. It started with terrible pain in my ear

and behind my eye. I am now having constant nerve pain on my face. I have a constant itch in my ear. I read that you use benzocaine ear drops but I can’t find this product. Is it a percription or over the counter.

Thanks

Mary

• Posted

Hi Mary,

I am so sorry you are dealing with this!

Auroguard Otic contains

Antipyrine / benzocaine, and is available only by prescription. I warm it to tepid and lie on my affected side for twenty minutes so the ear drops have a chance to work and do their magic. I put a cotton ball in my ear canal so the precious drops stay in place until the next dose! I find them very soothing. My insurance refuses to pay, BTW.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi wew. I'm so sorry to hear about your itching. I am new to this forum. I have had shingles for over 5 years on my left shoulder. I tried creams and oils too but nothing seemed to help until I did a little research and found that applying baking soda to the affected area took away the pain and itch and promoted rapid healing. Sounds too simple. It really is. I just put some baking soda on the area when I first start to notice it coming on and within hours, the area stops hurting and starts to dry up and heal. Might not work for everyone but worth a try. I try to apply it at least twice a day . I hope it works for you.

• Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear of your situation. Herpes is an insidious virus. It is for life. The virus resides in your nerves to "hide" from your immune system. It doesn't matter if it's Chicken Pox or HSV 1 or HSV 2. . .it will proliferate under acidic-PH conditions. . .multiplying and causing flame-ups. When you get older, your immune system is less likely to control it adequately. Keeping your body alcaline(the opposite of acidic) is the key. . .but wait. . .90 percent of the average American diet is acidic-PH. It is difficult to find a diet full of alcaline attributes. . .Soooooo. . .use a supplement that helps me. A pill that includes 1000mg calcium, 500mg Magnesium, and 15 mg zinc. Why? Calcium is the opposite of "acidic"(think tums) and Magnesium(blood thinner helps the calcium to get absorbed) and zinc also helps the calcium to get absorbed. Those last ingredients are important because the calcium will just pass through your system without getting absorbed. WalMart and WinCo carry these products. Now. . .what are your "triggers"? I am sure they are: acidic components like ketchup, BBQ sauce, fruit(although avocado is benign, soda, all peppers(acidity is a crucial part of their spice-heat) including black pepper. Vegetables like squash(all kinds are acidic). . .and. . .oh wait. . .vitamin c(ascorbic acid), the awesome anti-oxidant found in all multi-vitamins. If you are using these, you are creating a problem. Acidity causes the herpes virus to replicate and damage nerves including the itching that goes along with it. Stay away from the triggers first. . .but, you still have to live your life of great tasting food. Just do it only once a week and follow it with a dose of the calcium combo tablet I told you about. . .one tablet every three hours after meal(three), and one hour before. I have suffered for almost thirty years with this problem and the pill works. Your doctors will have no clue in case you question them. . .they will prescribe anti-virals with the possibility of organ damage to you.

• Posted

Also, Wanda's use of "baking soda" helped her topical itching. . .why? It's made of "calcium". . .

• Posted

Sorry. I said baking soda is composed of calcium. That is not correct. It was originally used for making baking soda but other ingredients worked better, but, the final ingredient is alcaline, hence. . .healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.