Post-shingles Itch! How long does it take to recover from the itch?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have recently recovered from Shingles and the itch is now quite persistent (3 weeks now). I do understand that there are varying treatments to counter this issue and from what I know, they only help with the itch temporarily. Does it mean that I will have to live with the itch for the rest of my life or will it stop after a while / or if there are any medications that can permanently stop the itch, any help is appreciated!

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I posted a couple weeks ago when I first learned I had the shingles.  The rash is almost gone but I’m still numb on my chest and around to the back.  I just started with this itch.  It’s not on the surface, it feels deep.  When I try to itch, it burns because of the numbness.  I tried an antihistamine but haven’t noticed a difference.  Is there anything else I can do? It’s driving me crazy. I don’t feel a topical cream would help either. 
  • Posted

The itch is the Herpes virus. It hides in your nerves and proliferates under acidic-ph conditions. . .If you keep on eating acidic foods or sauces it will continue. Any peppers(black, bell peppers, hot peppers, etc.). . .squash is acidic. . .bbq sauce, ketchup, orange juice or any fruit juice. . .soda because it always includes an acidic background for flavor. . .you can eat all meats as long as you don't add the flavoring's above. Until some cure of Herpes comes along. . .you have to watch your diet. A pill of 1000mg of Calcium, 400mg of Magnesium and 16mg of zinc help me. The latter two help the calcium get absorbed by the body because if they are not there the calcium will get passed through the body without helping you. WalMart Winco are sources and I'm sure a lot of others. . .Why calcium? It's an antacid. It's alcaline.The opposite of acid. It neutralizes the acidity that causes the herpes virus to replicate. . .If you ask your doctor about this. . .he will have no clue. He will prescribe anti-virals that can damage your organs. I have been a herpes 2 sufferer for thirty years and found out about this early on and applied it and it works. . .Stay away from the triggers I noted above, but once a week you can splurge. One calcium combo three hours before. . .another three hours later. . .another three hours later. . .if you want to do spagetti and meatballs. . .

• Posted

Hi wow

Unfortunately Shingles has a life and it has to take its course. It normally takes 4 to 5 weeks in this process. If it continues after that time you are possibly looking at a long term problem with Post Herpetic Neuralgia. 

If this PHN develops then it is a good idea to use a topical cream to restrict the pain and itch problem. This reduces the need for harmful analgesics.

If you need the formula for this mixture I will provide it.

Kind Regards, Ray.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.