Post Surgery results, observations

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello all !!!

? As some of you know, I had my surgery ( Balloon dilation of the Eustachian tube ) on Friday 7/7/2017.  I was under general anesthesia ( pleasant experience ) and the procedure took about 20 minutes. Some observations. Procedure was painless post op except for the soreness in my throat which usually occurs when you are intubated as I was. Chewed a lot of ice chips the past few days. Almost back to normal. As my doctor told me post op, I do have a feeling of fullness which should last a week or so as the swelling subsides. I am quite congested as a result of the anesthesia and the fact that my E tubes we stretched to capacity. Coughing up a lot of phlegm and sputum, ( sorry for the gross out )  which is expected and normal for this type of procedure. I still have little crackles and pops in my ear, again to be expected.  Physically I feel great otherwise. Slept a lot when I returned home Friday. Doctor Undavia was pleased with the outcome and expects this will solve my problem long term.

?Will see him in 2 weeks for follow up. A word about the facility. All of the staff at DelCo Memorial Hospital were  warm and accomodating. From the admissions clerk, all nurses, aides, and doctors, to the guy who wheel chaired me to the front door I was made to feel compleletely at ease and lost all my pre surgery jitters with their help. It means a lot believe me ! I would also like to thank my loving wife and daughter for their patience, care and the love they showed me throughout this entire 16 month ordeal. They are the best and I am a very lucky man to have them in my life. Thanks to all of my friends who sent out the "positive energy" I asked for, and also to all of you here who've been following my journey and for your thoughts and well wishes, I will post again after my follow up visit with Doc. I hope all of you who are suffering from this find some peace and relief as I did ! Don't give up or give in.There is always hope....and hope is a good thing .....maybe the best of things.......

Peace and love,

?Merlin   

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Quote from one of my favorite movies..... Shawshank Redemption.

Your doctor said 1 week of inflammation? I had the dilation in March. Dr. Weeks did mine in San deigo, he told me 6-8weeks.

Good luck!! Please keep us posted on your progress!!

Aloha,

Kelly

• Posted

Impressed you picked up on the Shawshank quote....one of my faves also...almost a perfect film. Thanks for the support and kind words.....will keep you all posted

Ciao,

Merlin 

• Posted

Merlin, so good to hear from someone else who has had this surgery.  Thank u for sharing your experience!  You mention the hospital, are u in the US? If so, what state are you in?  Wishing you the best in your recovery! Diane
    • Posted

Hi Diana.....I live in  nj surgey performed in pa philly area. Thanks for your support will keep you posted.....

Merlin  

• Posted

Hi Merlin,

I just woke up from my surgery. Definitely feeling the sore throat and a bit of blood in my nose but apart from that ok. Still have the same clicking noise in my ears.

Not sure if the clicking is meant to go immediately after surgery or takes a while?

How are you going/feeling?

Cameron

• Posted

Hi Diana had the balloon procedure done yesterday morning in forth worth texas, my left ear which was my worst ear has no pops or clicks which is great but my right ear still cracks and pops especially when I eat or lay down. should that go away in a few days? Also I could do the valsalva (pop my ears) before the procedure and now I can't! should that get better in time? just want it all gone as I'm sure you can imagine

• Posted

Glad to hear it is better. I was told not to do the valsalva to open my ears after surgery. I won't even do it ever anymore. I believe I was just keeping my tubes irritated by doing it constantly before my surgery. When I had the surgery it took a few weeks for all the crackling clicking and sometimes squealing to subside. Sometimes one ear would feel full. But I just ignored it and let my body take care of it. I also would tell others who had this surgery to not only stop w the valsalva but also to avoid things like loud concerts or headphones. I found that made it worse. Be patient. Hopefully your body will take over and heal itself.

• Posted

Hi Diana thanks for the reply. If you don't mind I've got a few more questions. I'm staying in forth worth texas for 2 weeks had the balloon dialation but now I can't pop my ears should i be okay to fly home without tubes in my ear I've got a 10 hour flight home.

• Posted

I flew a few days after. I don't think it matters. Maybe they will pop on the flight. I wish I had more answers. I just know it took a few weeks so don't panic. Just let your body do what it's suppose to. I should add. No hard blowing of your nose either. I did that right after surgery and clogged my ears for a while. They r just such tricky little things. Please keep us posted and try to relax and stay positive. I know easier said then done.

• Posted

It's such a relief to have your advice. I was getting worried as I've read stories where people have said they had instant relief. I'm just stressed because it feels like my right ear hasn't got any better..did yours feel like that before u started to see improvements?!

• Posted

I had instant relief for a few days. Weird sounds but instant relief, then the next few weeks they would open and close and do a lot of weird things.  I started to panic....but i just relaxed and told myself, that i was fixed, and to just be patient.  Dr Weeks was my strength thru this, since i was one of the first to have this....so, for me, I would just be patient, and not try to force them open.....it worked for me and I hope it works for u!!!
    • Posted

Hi Niall,

Did you have the procedure with dr. Dean in Fort Worth? I am scheduled to have it next week. My main symptom is popping in my ear when I swallow. Did you have similar symptoms? What was your recovery like? Was procedure successful? Thanks! 

• Posted

Did you have the fullness feeling before surgery? Also should the crackling and popping stop all together? So glad you found relief! I have been suffering for 8 months now, I am miserable and it has taken over my life! Praying I get answers in a Dr visit later this month.
  • Posted

Glad the surgery went well and hope you find peace soon!!

• Posted

So pl;eased to hear of your succesd Merlin.Please keep us posted on your progress

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.