Post Surgery results, observations

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello all !!!

? As some of you know, I had my surgery ( Balloon dilation of the Eustachian tube ) on Friday 7/7/2017.  I was under general anesthesia ( pleasant experience ) and the procedure took about 20 minutes. Some observations. Procedure was painless post op except for the soreness in my throat which usually occurs when you are intubated as I was. Chewed a lot of ice chips the past few days. Almost back to normal. As my doctor told me post op, I do have a feeling of fullness which should last a week or so as the swelling subsides. I am quite congested as a result of the anesthesia and the fact that my E tubes we stretched to capacity. Coughing up a lot of phlegm and sputum, ( sorry for the gross out )  which is expected and normal for this type of procedure. I still have little crackles and pops in my ear, again to be expected.  Physically I feel great otherwise. Slept a lot when I returned home Friday. Doctor Undavia was pleased with the outcome and expects this will solve my problem long term.

?Will see him in 2 weeks for follow up. A word about the facility. All of the staff at DelCo Memorial Hospital were  warm and accomodating. From the admissions clerk, all nurses, aides, and doctors, to the guy who wheel chaired me to the front door I was made to feel compleletely at ease and lost all my pre surgery jitters with their help. It means a lot believe me ! I would also like to thank my loving wife and daughter for their patience, care and the love they showed me throughout this entire 16 month ordeal. They are the best and I am a very lucky man to have them in my life. Thanks to all of my friends who sent out the "positive energy" I asked for, and also to all of you here who've been following my journey and for your thoughts and well wishes, I will post again after my follow up visit with Doc. I hope all of you who are suffering from this find some peace and relief as I did ! Don't give up or give in.There is always hope....and hope is a good thing .....maybe the best of things.......

Peace and love,

?Merlin   

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

To all

?5 days since surgery. Feeling good. Still litlle cracks and pops occasionally, nowhere near like pre op. I feel less and less fullness on the right side of my head every a.m. when i wake up, which I'm taking as a good sign. Not sure how long entire healing process will take should have more info for you after I see Doc on 7/20/2017. Hope all of you are doing well and I'll post an update on or around 7/20/2017. Thanks again for all your concern.

Peace

Merlin

• Posted

Merlin, so excited for you!  My healing took a few weeks...be patient, and just let your body do what it should!!!

• Posted

Diana,

I really hope you are still on this site. I have had the balloon dilation of ET done 6 weeks ago along with sinus surgery and it seems like it gets better but then goes back to bad. My main concern is the constant wooziness I feel.  It is destroying my life litterally.  How long did it take for your ears to open up? 

• Posted

My recovery may be a little different because i had sinus surgery first, healed from that, then had my e tubes done.  You have a lot to heal from at once!  With my tubes, they opened instantly and stayed perfectly open for a few days, then for the next two to three months, they would open and close and crackle and squeal.  I just took it that they were learning how to open and close again.  I never tried to force them open, but just let them heal, and eventually the noises went away and they stayed open.  I am not sure about the woozy feeling, but i know getting back to normal after my sinus surgery was a lot worse than the e tube surgery. Try to give yourself some time...u have been through a lot!  
    • Posted

Haven't posted in a while. My life is back in the crapper. Symptoms are back with a vengeance. Some days are so bad all I can do is lie down and sleep for my only source of relief. Still on the Xanax regimen and I'm reaching out to doctor who performed my surgery ( Dr. Undavia ) out side of Philadelphia last July,  in June of 2018 for a reevaluation and possible 2nd attempt at surgery I'll keep you posted on any progress. So disappointed and depressed that 1st surgery was unsuccessful Doc say that a 2nd surgeries seem to be successful after a first one fails So hope against hope, I'm willing to give it another try. keep your fingers crossed.

Merlin 

?Merlin

• Posted

I’m sorry Merlin. It took me the 2nd time for it to work, so don’t get too discouraged...
    • Posted

thanks for the encouraging words and outlook. I am so tired of feeling miserable all the time. hope the second time is the charm. Was there anything different about the 2nd attempt that you're aware of ? like longer time of balloon inflation or different equipment or balloon ? Or could it be the tube has a muscle memory effect and responds in a positive manner ?

?Thanks again,

Merlin

?Merlin

• Posted

I do believe that there is something to the muscle memory thought.  I would think the longer they have been shut, the harder it is to get them working again. I was one of the first to have this done, so when i needed to have it again, my dr dilated them more the 2nd time.  I think they were still learning back then how much they could safely dilate them. I hope it works for you next time. I know how miserable it can be.  
    • Posted

Hello, Merlin. I am very sorry to hear that your first surgery did not solve your problems. I myself have been experiencing very strange symptoms, mostly in my left ear for nearly two years now. Crackling and squelching that seems to flare up at random. It’s extremely frustrating and I am planning on getting the balloon procedure done. I am in Pittsburgh. For starters, I was wondering if you had gone through with and had any more luck with a second procedure?  I hope to hear from you. I have seen several doctors about my symptoms and to be honest, with their lack of concern, it’s very easy to become frustrated on top of the misery the symptoms already bring.  Did you ever have CT scans done of your sinuses and ears?  I have only had a whole head MRI that showed nothing except some thickening of my sinuses which was “normal.”  I was told by an ent that the only way to view delicate ear structures is with ct. I also am considering having an MRI of my tmj performed to see if that’s somehow impacting the function of my ears. I’m rambling now. Again, hope to hear about a second procedure or your current condition. Thanks. 
    • Posted

Diana, I have seen you all over these forums and you definitely seem like someone who could have a lot of insight into what I’m experiencing. This site seems to moderate any post that contains any sort of personal information, but I would greatly appreciate if we could have a conversation regarding the procedure later you had done and the symptom you used to experience. I’m very happy to hear that your symptoms were cured. I have been on a lot of sites concerning this procedure and your case is definitely one to inspire hope. Please let me know if you’d be willing to speak sometime. Thank you. 
    • Posted

Hi Casey, yes, you can ask me anything.  If u want to talk privately you can send me a message through here too. 
    • Posted

Thanks, Diana. I will be in touch sometime this week. Just want to give you a little rundown of my scenario to see what you think and also ask some questions about your own. 
    • Posted

Hey Casey,

You got another friend right here. I'd love to hear your story and about how you're doing now. Ive had ETD for about a year and half and I am looking into the balloon dilation as well. Private message me whenever! Its important all of us going through this together use each other as support. Hoping to hear from you!

- Tanner 

• Posted

Hi Diana, 

I would love to hear more about your story with ETD and about the surgeries. I have had ETD for about a year and I am heavily considering getting the dilation surgery. Im going to send you a PM as well, I hope one finds you!

- Tanner

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.