Post-surgery update - completely unexpected results!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello Ladies... just got home a little while ago after a 10-hour day at the hospital.  For anyone new to my situation, I was supposed to have an ovary removed that appeared to contain some type of mass, in addition to having a couple of small uterine polyps removed.  My doctor ordered lab work on hormone levels and cancer markers that was all normal.  She said that the mass was contained within the ovary and appeared to be solid.  So this is everything we knew going into surgery.

Well, I had the surgery today, and guess what... there was nothing in the ovary!!!!!!!!!  I was awake in the recovery room, and extremely dizzy, when my doctor came in with a big smile to tell me.  She explained that I have a benign "floating" fibroid outside of my uterus that has been positioned in such a way that it has been pressing on the ovary.  The ovary itself was a yellowish color, not the whitish color that it should be, but she said it was not the color that it would be if cancer was present. However, to be sure, she removed it and a frozen section was done on it that confirmed no cancer.

She also removed the two uterine polyps, in addition to a cervical polyp that also turned up, and these are all expected to be benign.  The other ovary has a functional cyst present that she said will be gone in a few weeks.  She also did a D & C as expected.  The pathology results will be back on Monday or Tuesday.

I am still in total shock about the ovary.  Since I was so dizzy when she told me, I couldn't process what the doctor told me at all.  After they put me back in my day surgery room with my mom (I was allowed one person with me there), she explained it all to me.  They gave me a pain pill and I slept for about 2 hours and then a nurse with really cold hands came in to wake me up.  I had some juice and crackers, and a couple of cups of water, and after a while they made sure that I could urinate and sent me home.  I'm staying with my family while I recover and they are a huge help.

So that is everything for now!  I learned a lot today.  It has been crazy and the outpatient day surgery unit was very noisy, so I am grateful to be home.  I will have a follow-up appointment with the doctor on May 4, assuming that no emergencies or complications arise.

Time to rest more now, feeling sore and a bit yucky.  Thanks again for all your support!

Elizabeth 💕

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Glad to hear it all went well. Rest up and take care of yourself. A friend of mine who had a cyst removed from her ovary said it wiped her out for a couple of weeks. So be gentle with yourself!
    • Posted

Thanks!  This is my first-ever abdominal surgery, so it is a learning experience.  Getting lots of rest is helping.  I have a lot of swelling and four small incision sites, and top of that started my period today (cycles have become quite irregular over last 3 months).  Healing gradually is top of my list!  
  • Posted

💕😍💕wishing you a speedy recovery Elizabeth!
    • Posted

Thanks!  I am making gradual progress but today am feeling down and tearful, as though I've hit some kind of post-op slump... I think all the adrenaline and excitement with all this was too much and now I'm crashing back down to earth.  Had surgery Wed,, started period yesterday, it's been such a crazy week!
    • Posted

Elizabeth, take it easy on yourself. You've been through so much (mentally and physically) lately .Expect to need some down time, and don't fight it. It will only be harder on you if you do. Try to relax and let someone take care of you for a bit! smile
    • Posted

Thanks, Moody, I agree 100% and am letting my family do everything that I need them to do!  Even my supervisor, when my doctor recommended 2-4 weeks recovery when we scheduled the surgery, said to take the 4 weeks, so I will have lots of time, thank goodness, am grateful for every bit of it.  I slept much better last night, first night post-op that I have slept through a whole night without waking, about 7 hours!  Pain pill before bed did its job, I did need one upon waking, but so glad to get so much sleep in.  Taking afternoon naps also helps.
  • Posted

Absolutely fantastic news! Well done you the relief must be amazing. Good girl!! Xxx
    • Posted

Thanks!  It is a great relief.  Learning to navigate recovery now.
  • Posted

May get pathology results today... hoping all will be benign as my doctor expects.  Still getting used to idea that an ovary is gone and that it didn't contain a cyst... feeling like I am reprogramming my brain!
    • Posted

No call today.
    • Posted

I have it too! Especially waiting for test results! Fingers crossed for you!
    • Posted

Isn't it awful??  The doctor was so happy afterward, yet I know she ordered several tests, as expected.  Wish I could stop expecting the worst all the time!  Thanks for your support.
    • Posted

It's been a full week now and they haven't called.  Left voicemail for the nurse this morning.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.