Post TKR

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am waiting for a TKR and have learned a lot from these forums.  All you post 'post oppers' can advise me how does one go about 'icing' ?  What do you use? Also I occasionally use my tens machine to relieve the pain in my shoulders but I did wonder if it was  unsafe to use near metal.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks 'post oppers' I knew I could rely on you all for help, 'I 'll be back'!
  • Posted

Hi, I also bought 2large gel packs on line, they are brilliant,. Again 20 mins at a time, in between massage,  and physio, but don't over do it, as I have learned the hard way, you really suffer if you do. Good luck
    • Posted

its a good job I bought 2cos my good knee is playin up now cos of the over work so im icing that one as well lol.
    • Posted

Good idea, Andrea, I have to have my 2nd knee done when the first is stable. So more than will be useful.  Thanks.
  • Posted

hi margaret i use ice packs that i bought in chemist and i just keep them in freezer and use them when i need them i usualy put them in a pillow case while i use them also you could use a packet of frozen peas .you can use a tens machine id say at the start you might find it abit too much but after a few weeks yes you can im a good while down the road and i use it to ease any niggle pain it wont affect metal good luck
  • Posted

I just use an ice pack that I have in the freezer all the time or you can just use a pack of frozen peas .....all the best for,your surgery
  • Posted

I bought the cheapest 1 kg packs of frozen peas & alternated them. They don't leak like ice does & can be moulded around knee. I wrapped them in tea towel s to prevent ice burns. Worked a treat.
  • Posted

Hi Margaret I'm only post 2 weeks after half knee replacement and in my hoist all they used one of those cooler boxes and sent me home with the cuff as it can't be used on anyone else but can very put in the fridge also sent home with gel pack! I was in so much pain mainly from sciatica that I resorted to a tens machine and I have to say after regular use over 4 days the pain from op and sciatica has been reduced dramatically! My surgeon warned me that I would nit like him for the first few weeks after the op!!!! I have to say though even after just 2 weeks I'm feeling much better and mobile!

good luck and keep in touch 

regards

Mandy x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.