Post-TKR Exercising

Posted , 61 users are following.

Preface

I'm doing this post because I keep writing the same stuff over and over again on the subject of exercise.  So here it all is in one place.

Why Exercise?

Simply because:

1. Your quads and glutes have atrophied from months of non-use.  Ever see someone's bicep after an 8-week cast is removed for a broken arm?  Budduh...soft as budduh... {as we pronounce it in Brooklyn}  You have to rebuild the strength in your quads, glutes and core...period...no choice...accept it.2. And why exercise?  You do this to take pressure off your knee.  Right now, all the work in your leg is being done by your knee without any supporting musculature.  You must rebuild all that strength to take that pressure off the new joint.

3. And this is not short-term!  You have to stay strong the rest of your life.  Going up and down stairs takes leg strength.  You need to get that back.  And you certainly don't want to walk with a limp or a cane the rest of your life.  You need that leg strength.

4. And, no...you don't get this from PT.  Those sessions are short-term and designed to get your 0 / +120 ROM back.  After that, you're on your own.

5. Finally, this takes work...hard work and a commitment to your overall health and well-being.  It doesn't happen overnight; it will probably take up most of your first year post-TKR.  It usually starts when you finish PT and are recovered enough to start some serious exercise...S  L  O  W  L  Y  !!!

Credentials

I'll be having my 28th operation in 17 years in March 2017...another one on my spine.  Two shoulder rehabs, four knee scopes, artificial hip, back fusion, TKR...I've been through it all.  

But this is not about my veracity in giving advice on post-TKR exercise, it's about FREE recommendations from a true expert personal trainer, my daughter Kate.  Consider:

- Graduate nutritionist from Rutgers University (anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry)

- Certified by the American College of Sports Medicine (two-year study and examination program, the "gold standard" in Trainer certifications)

- Certified by the American Council on Exercise (16 multi-disciplinary credentials such as spinning, kick-boxing, yoga, water aerobics and more)

- Graduate Assistant, Rutgers University, Department of Nutrition, (2000-2001)

- Personal Trainer for the Rutgers University men's NCAA basketball team (2001-2002)

- Corporate Personal Trainer, Medifit, 2003-2010 (Personal Trainer, Site Manager, Program Director)

- Corporate Personal Trainer, PlusOne Fitness, 2010-2013 (Personal Trainer and General Manager/Program Director of five corporate fitness centers for Bank of America, Dallas, TX)

- Mother, Breast Cancer Survivor, 2013-present

By any account, Kate knows this stuff cold...for the past 16+ years.  If you don't believe in what she's advising you, go try and find a more accomplished expert...you won't.  (...and I'm not just saying that because she's my daughter...).  PS: Post-cancer...she's 5'1" tall, back to a size 1 with 3-4% body fat at 122 pounds (solid muscle) and kicks P90X's butt!!!  And all of this with a compression fracture of L1 and a missing coccyx, removed after she fractured it slipping and falling while squatting 310 pounds years ago.  Did not stop her at all.

Recommendations

- Warm up on a bike for 30-45 minutes (set the seat high enough for full leg extension...hey, you have your ROM back so now use it).  You can do a very slow treadmill but you cannot go fast enough to cause any impact on the knee. The bike or an elliptical is better for the warm-up.  Zero impact.

- Then do your stretches. Before anything else...S  T  R  E  T  C  H  !!!  Get down on the mat.

- Once warmed up and stretched, start your exercises that specifically strengthen the quads (leg presses, curls, squats, abductor and adductor for inner thighs), calves (toe raises, calf press, balance board), hips (hip lift, hip lunge) and glutes (leg pull, kickback, flutter kicks).  Stretch out the hamstrings.  

- For all your exercises, start with NO weight but perform 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps each until you are at ease with every exercise and are not tired out by them.  (NOTE: If you can't do that many to start, do what you can and build up to it.)  More reps, no weight...you must build endurance before strength.

- Use your good leg to stabilize yourself during the exercise...don't use the good one to fake the reps.  The idea is to get the bad leg as strong as the good one before you fully exercise them together again.  You can even isolate the bad leg for the exercise (good one on the floor) but this could be tough at the beginning.  

- Once you can't tell one leg from the other (feeling balanced and not relying on the good one), start adding weight...slowly....like 5 pounds at a time, again using the good leg to stabilize yourself.  

- Alternatively, use exercise bands around your ankle.  Face the bar and pull straight back to work your glutes (unless your gym has a machine for that).  No weight and minimum (10# or 20# band) to start.  A set of bands and elastic ropes with handles at home are great to use too.  There are YouTube videos on leg exercises using the bands.

- Any pain, strain or swelling means you did too much too fast.  Back off...you'll eventually have equal strength in both legs.  

- Finish your workout with more bike or walking...take time to cool down.  

BIG NOTE: You are NOT to do this every day.  You NEVER work the same muscle group two days in a row.  The exercise breaks down muscle; the rest day allows your body to rebuild it stronger.  So, if you don't want to take a day off, use the odd day to work core and upper body.  Total health.  Lose weight, eat healthy, eliminate artificial sweeteners, hydrate, chart your progress, stay focused.

Conclusion

This is your life and your choice.  You can sit back, relax and limp the rest of your life or get a good part of that life back.  No, you will not do any high impact sports or exercises again, but there is always cutthroat shuffleboard.  You will never get your old life back but you can live THIS life to the fullest!

"Never give up. Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

19 likes, 130 replies

130 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Very good advise@ I'm going to be having T KR SOON! I've already had all the shots now wearing a brace for the last6mo. My job is walking a lot, must return in 12 WEEKS! I just don't see that happening at this point in time. I have been waiting on here a lot where many many patients it takes almost a year just to get the full ability back into their leg if you scared and don't really know what to do!

• Posted

Returning at 12 weeks is usually difficult for most people who report trying to do so.  It's all very individual as there are so many factors (level of recovery, regained muscle strength, achieved ROM, age, weight, fitness level, type of job, etc.).  Even the sedentary job patience report lots of pain and swelling requiring ice and elevation when they get home plus lots of sleepless nights only having to get up and do it again...every day.  If that's what you HAVE to do, be prepared.  A Cryo Cuff is a portable icing device...get one.  I used it for two shoulder ops and four knee scopes back at work.    Do NOT be surprised if it gets difficult...but even that passes in time.

• Posted

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I am doing the right stuff. My rom is good around 135 I am still -1 on the straight. Just need more strength in the leg.
    • Posted

Quads, glutes and core...that's the stuff that's atrophied.  I'll do leg presses with a weight ON the knee to push it down.  Now 0 / +133 at 18 months post-op.  Be careful about exceeding 140.  That's "athlete" range and you don't need it to lead a nnormal life.  No statistics but just remember that your knee is now an actual MACHINE with definite limits.  If your ortho can tell you its manufacturer, you can probably ask them for its max tolerances.  No need to push it and wear it out quickly for no ostensible gain.  Think about it...

• Posted

Thanks for your friendly advice. And for sharing your daughters input. I will try to get back on track.
    • Posted

"Do...or do not.  There is no try." - Yoda

Time to kick some serious a$$...  You ready to take your life back...with both hands?  Just do it!!!!!  We're all behind you 1,000%!!!

• Posted

Thanks very much! I do have good ROM so will slowly get back to the gym. 
  • Posted

Thanks Chico I was hoping you would reply - so all of this should help break up the scar tissue that I really really need to get rid of? Dr says once I get rid of it I will have to more stiffness nor swelling and pain... I have scheduled a massage to work just the knee for this weekend to help out as welll thank you !
    • Posted

*if I get rid of it I will have NO more stiffness nor swelling or pain
    • Posted

The ROM exercises break down the scar tissue.  The one on your stomach on the bed is a KILLER...especially with the ankle weights.  I went from -14 / +84 to -1 / +123 in 10 weeks.  Results always vary and you cannot compare yourself to anyone else.  Gotta break down that tissue.  I hit a plateau at -4 for weeks so be prepared...this is NOT a linear recovery.

The exercise program then finishes the ROM work (mine is now about 0 / +133) but, more importantly, rebuilds your dead quads, glutes and core...all the musculature required to take the pressure off the new knee and support it properly.  Once you have your strength back, stairs are a snap.  At 14 months post-op, I was climbing stairs two at a time without holding onto anything.

This all takes time, work and patience...commit to your future.

• Posted

Ok great I will try the ones on the stomach havent tried those yet - but with 0 and 118 I can see the light but I have to push through this scar tissue to be “free” somewhat “free”... thanks again smile 
  • Posted

Amazing I information! Wow what a daughter!  Very proud you must be.  I am saving this and putting it to use!  My range is now 0-122 - pt is now extended care.  I am comfortable that I will regain my energy when my body is ready.

Thank You 🙏 

• Posted

Time, work and patience...  At almost two years, my ROM is more like 0 / +133.  Gotta do the work.  

Yeah, Kate's amazing.  Graduate nutritionist from Rutgers and ACSM/ACE-certified personal trainer for 17 years. 5' 2", 126-pounds of pure muscle...3% body fat...P90X and doesn't break a sweat.  And that's AFTER battling Stage 3 breast cancer 4 1/2 years ago.  Princess warrior...  Want more?  Go to soundcloud and search for Kate Nunn, Frisco, TX.  She fronted my 13-piece, FIVE HORN blues band in New Jersey for four years.  No lessons...just an incredible natural blues vocalist and stage performer.  Nails Joplin, Raitt and more...

PS: I personally don't recommend going past 140...that's "athlete" territory and if your heel touches your butt, that's 161.  The reason is that we don't really know the limits of the physical device and the stress put on it when you push it too far.  Does it shorten the lifespan of the device?  Don't know but I'm not going to test it.  People who push it too far may be doing more harm than good...maybe...  I don't intend to find out...happy with my 133.

• Posted

Can’t wait to check out the blues band and hear Kate sing.  I live about 1 hour east of Frisco - beautiful Texas- even with the heat.  I will not ever see 140 rom but planning to hit 130.  My happy place is riding my carbon road bike 🚴??? although I will be carful with the knee.  I go to a Cryotherapy Suana daily- sometimes twice a day.  I hope Kate would approve.  It is popular in Dallas and East Texas- much easier than an ice bath.  Your posts have been so helpful and Kate a brilliant inspiration.

• Posted

While recovering, Kate has used the genetic talents passed down from her birth mother Susan, a master dessert chef.  Kate's specialty is cakes.  Take a look...  All of her work is on Facebook at Kate's Creative Confectionary.  No problem delivering in Frisco.  Her talents seem to have no bounds...

• Posted

Young?  Really?  I'll be 70...she'll be 40.  We're vampires...no aging allowed...

• Posted

Please tell Kate the cakes are fabulous and I will check out her Facebook page. I know she is proud her Daddy is

So helpful with advice on this site- sure has helped me stop whining about fatigue and when I focused more positively it has improved.😊🚴???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.